Why become a member? ×

Billy Sheehan OMFG!

Guest aDx

Winery dogs, mr big...

The man can PLAY!

And he is a really nice guy

never seen a drummer so happy as the one in the WD

BUT.... after watching it... it is soooo tiring!

Must be getting old!

A stunning player and genuinely nice guy it seems. I saw him live with Mr Big, a great gig, but I've never liked his tone. I've always thought he'd have been the best choice to replace John Enwistle in The Who.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1490432415' post='3265070']
A stunning player and genuinely nice guy it seems. I saw him live with Mr Big, a great gig, but I've never liked his tone. I've always thought he'd have been the best choice to replace John Enwistle in The Who.
[/quote]

Oooo imagine that? As long as he kept it focused and didn't shred, Billy Sheehan in The Who would be amazing. The only problem I could see is that he maybe brings too much of an identity in his playing to fit in, but I reckon it could be worked out.

Billy Sheehan is not my lover.

he puts the humbucker thro a 4x10 and the treble pup thro a 1x15" !!!

His tone reminds me of glen hughes in purple (made in europe) - BIG sound

Billy Sheehan is amazing, saw him in Mr Big on there last tour and he was loving every minute.

On a slightly different note, saw Paul Gilbert at a masterclass in Edinburgh on Thursday. Holy crap he can play. Lots of little hints and tips for six string stuff and he could turn his hand to almost any style.

The Session bass player was excellent too.

[quote name='aDx' timestamp='1490438097' post='3265119']
he puts the humbucker thro a 4x10 and the treble pup thro a 1x15" !!!

His tone reminds me of glen hughes in purple (made in europe) - BIG sound
[/quote]

He uses Hydrive 115s live now, no 410s anymore. I don't why the change...but it still sounds the same

I've seen Billy Sheehan twice, with the Winery Dogs. It's a real jaw dropping experience. What he does works with the bands he plays in, it's just that simple.

I like his playing. His tone is such a labour of love for him, there's so much thought gone in to it.

Both his playing and his enthusiasm for the bass is inspiring. There aren't that many 'names' in the bass world who have that much enthusiasm for the instrument. Great musician.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1490433757' post='3265085']
1982 Talas - Sink your teeth into that... my jaw dropped when I heard it. However, I can appreciate how some folks find his tone a bit grating; saying that when you hear it (and his legendary licks/tricks) you know it is him - signature tone! :)
[/quote]

I've got a Talas years bass tab book. I flick through it just to laugh at the transcriptions of the two solo pieces

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1490433712' post='3265084']

Oooo imagine that? As long as he kept it focused and didn't shred, Billy Sheehan in The Who would be amazing. The only problem I could see is that he maybe brings too much of an identity in his playing to fit in, but I reckon it could be worked out.

Billy Sheehan is not my lover.
[/quote]

He's always made a point of saying 90% of what he does, is just playing bass in the band.
Pink didn't have problems fitting in and his playing definitely has its own identity.