Why become a member? ×

Suddenly really enjoying 4 strings and 20 frets

julesb

I still have a love affair with 5 strings, but I never moved far away from simple lines. Most of what I play could be played on a 3 string bass, but I'd need 2 with different tunings so a 5 is the simplest option for me.

No matter how many strings, a good bass is a good bass if it makes you a happy player.

[quote name='Yank' timestamp='1490523880' post='3265633']
With all the great music that has been created with a 4 string, I've never felt the desire for anything more.
[/quote]

Same here. I`m not a purist though, if I needed a 5-string for a band I`d get one, but not had the need yet.

Yep been round the houses too and always same bass i go back to. My Jazz is my normal goto bass when its my own choice.
My Warwick Thub nicest bass to play but Jazz fits most styles better.

Currently having to use a Fender PJ because of the style of music and covers it gives more variation but still 4 string.

Done the 6, 5, fretless but back to 4 fretted is the simple way.

I should make that my new motto :- Keep It Simple :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave

[quote name='Yank' timestamp='1490523880' post='3265633']
With all the great music that has been created with a 4 string, I've never felt the desire for anything more.
[/quote]

Exactly. Has anyone really wrung everything there is out of 4 strings? And do you really need to?

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1490556096' post='3265965']

Exactly. Has anyone really wrung everything there is out of 4 strings? And do you really need to?
[/quote]

Yes.

I often get piano scores to play. Piano goes lower than a bass. And quite often shifting octaves ruins the general direction of the part.

IMHO anyone who claims 4 is the original and thus the limit of the instrument should be reminded that the double bass started as a 3 string instrument.

[quote name='Ironbar' timestamp='1490589560' post='3266114']
I had a 5 stringer. I used the B string for approximately four notes on two songs. I finally asked myself the question, "WTF do I own this thing?"
[/quote]

Because you played those 4 notes. . . . and you were ready for any other low lines that you might have wanted to play.

If you've got a 5 string bass and you're not adapting your playing to it then; 1) You're unnecessarily limiting yourself and your bass playing, or 2) You shouldn't have bought a 5er in the first place.

Some guys can really do great things with a 5 and use the B to great tasteful effect but I found I usually used the B string as more of a thumb anchor than actually use it.

I think I got into the 5 for more a muso thing than a musical one if I'm honest. Everyone seemed to be doing it so I followed suit.
If I got a regular gig that called out for it, then I'd use it more but out of necessity than preference. I never really found it to be a hindrance till I went back to a 4 and found everything so much simpler and less effort.

I also found going back to a 4 after 15 or so years just playing a 5 , although not really hard, a bit strange at first, especially first the gig but I definitely prefer a 4 over a 5 these days.

I think 5s can be great. Especially for key changes or if you have a song with a lot of low F. For me a five was certainly not all about accessing the below E notes although it's a nice bonus to have them. Just really enjoying my Jazz and Thunderbird at the moment.