Why become a member? ×

Cello

gypsyjazzer

My teachers uses a cello, fitted with EUB strings and tunes to GDAE, he calls it a "Chase"! The reason was its portability and the high cost of a 1/2 size DB as he already had the cello. To my untrained ear it sounds pretty good, both pizz and arco. The tuning pegs are a pain so machine heads will be fitted.

Do you know which brand of strings they are Lazarus?
I just wonder whether a Cello is really built for heavier gauge, higher tension strings? Could the Cello's structure be compromised?
I'm interested, as it could be a nice, portable DB option....

It would be very interesting to know what strings he uses, and what he thinks re the construction of a Cello, and how it stands up to being set up as a DB. Also, did he need to do any mods to the bridge? Will a Cello bridge be sturdy enough?

I'm really interested in this :)

E A D G .... seems like a waste of a finger to me. The scale is smaller than an electric bass so four fingers working a fifth is about right. Try using three finger tech on a cello tuned to forths would be hard unless you have extra thin fingers :¬).

Anyway .. that aside ... 'cellos are pretty strong. My dad's delicate 18th century cello is strung (to my horror) with quite high tension Larsen steel strings. My JB Colin and Dad's Benedict Lang are made of sterner stuff and could probably take a lot more tension (tho mine has thomastic dominant synthetics).

I always found the 'cello to be a bit "not right" for Jazz .. not deep enough to hold the bass line (would have to be an octave above a double bass .. surely) and a bit too soft to be a solo instrument .. the Ramsey Lewis Trio had a 'cellist tho, Antonio Forcionne performs with a 'cellist sometimes (I prefer it when he plays with a bass .. especially if it's Kai Eckhardt) and David Darling of course .... think they all use standard 'cello tuning tho.