Why become a member? ×

Good amp for use at home

Big Uli

I currently have a Stagg BA20 and I would like something a bit better
The Stagg vibrates a bit at times especially with the overdrive pedal
I bid on a 150 watt Marshal today but narrowly missed out
I am also looking at a 50 watt Laney and a 70 watt Hartke
Any suggestions?
I want to buy used and keep costs as low as possible.
Don't we all :D

Altho i'm not a huge fan i'd recommend Ashdown combo of some kind.
They do what they say they'll do.
Maybe even a 2nd hand Trace Elliot combo.

Hartke gear i'm not a fan either but they do make some good gear that many people like and swear by them.

Laney gear is ok for home use too altho don't have much experience with them.
Peavey is another option.

You don't specify a budget or what your intention is ie home use or plan to eventually gig so difficult making a decent suggestion.
Can you offer more details for others to comment on.

Dave

I use a Hartke Kickback 10. The old 120W one, there's a new one out but you will have to pay too much for those. You can pick the model I have up for about £100. It's got a typical Harke tone but it's a proper grown up bass guitar sound and can be quite revealing which is what you need for practice. I also use it for rehearsals and open mic nights so it goes fairly loud and I have done small gigs with it but it struggles if the drums get really loud. A mate who heard mine went out and got a Kickback 12 which sounds fairly similar with a bit more bottom.

Generally speaking I'd avoid the 50-70W jobbies, without having heard all of them (so there may be a gem in there) they seem to be engineered to match a price point rather than achieving a good sound. Too loud for home practice not enough for gigging and not enough spent on the speakers so they sound bad.

If you have space then go for some of the older combo's or even a separate stack. The old heavy stuff is really cheap as we all turn to stuff we can actually lift. If your's is sitting in a corner weight won't matter and the big old heavy stuff sounds lovely. The old Peavey stuff with Black Widow speakers is well worth looking for if you get it for a decent price.

Alternatively practice through headphones, studio quality sound without annoying the neighbours. Zoom B1ON will let you mix in with recorded music from your phone, has a tuner and drum machine and allows you to emulate a whole series of amps and speakers for around £50

[quote name='Rocker' timestamp='1490648476' post='3266799']
... it is not loud enough to disturb your neighbours.
[/quote]

Where's the fun in that? :P

My current rig. Biblical amounts of bass. You don't wanna live nextdoor...

[attachment=241810:IMG_0344.JPG]

Seriously now, how about a used SWR Workingmans combo (WM10 or WM12), perhaps? Roland Bass Cube is one to consider too.

I have a Hartke HD25

Cheap as chips, gets loud enough to practice in one of our garages with a 15w Tech21 guitar amp and drums.

You can extrapolate through to a higher wattage Hartke and it will be fine.

If you want to save pennies get a second hand one, I think there is an Orange Combo amp going on Facebook which will be decent.

I wouldn't go lower than 25 watts though

[quote name='Rocker' timestamp='1490648476' post='3266799']
Laughingly small but the Blackstar Fly Bass is a decent sounding bit of kit. I works very well if you jam with music from your stereo. And it is not loud enough to disturb your neighbours.
[/quote]

errr no . you won't be heard jamming with two acoustic guitars, plenty loud enough for guitar but not bass. You want to move air,even at home. Your neighbours need a chance to appreciate your great taste in basslines :)

[quote name='Big Uli' timestamp='1490642498' post='3266745']
Thanks
I have a look at all of those

Any views on a Vintage Roland GB-50?
[/quote]
I don't believe Roland have ever made a bad bit of kit. Never had that model, but owned a couple of cubes and keyboards. They're all good.