Why become a member? ×

What is it with drummers.

Phil Adams

you know the "drummers are crazy" stereotype? I think this might be the idiots with a kit who can play some "4 to the floor" in time with absolutely no feeling. I've met loads of these. They're usually absolutely mental and quite hard to get rid of once you've realised that they're not really musicians

I've met the bassist equivalent too. Huge old full stack, can play root notes but lacks any feeling etc

I'm sure there's the equivalent guitarists, keyboardists, singers. There's usually some sort of substance abuse involved, they don't listen to what anyone else is doing, and they're too loud. These people are not musicians!!!

Problem most drummers have is no way to practice at home. Even the ones that have an electronic kit at home still have the banging away on the kick pedal that can drive neighbours downstairs/next door or family members up the wall. Lack of practice leads to lack of enthusiasm. Or frustration. Most only really practice when playing with a band be it rehearsals or gigs which leads onto the usual problems associated with that.
I think a lot of them end up as what I would call "people that happen to own a drum kit" rather than what I would call a "drummer".

In my ideal world I would like more readily available drummers that understand the whole song structure thing as well as have all the chops, are not already in umpteeen bands, dont have a permenant personal crisis on the go, just get the fact that if you play drums you have to move a drum kit about if gigging ect (thats a debate already done) have great feel and dynamics, I could go on... that are like this one.
https://youtu.be/4bAY-dVtvVo

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1490605863' post='3266249']
I must be really lucky. In 30 years of playing, all the drummers I've ever played with have been really nice, stable guys.
[/quote]

Same here.
The biggest arseholes in my experience have been keyboard players.

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1490628980' post='3266606']
One of the drummers I play with has really bad tinnitus, which makes him play with great care and restraint, he can play drums at living room volume all night. The pain of tinnitus has trained him to be a great drummer.
[/quote]

hmmmm..........turns pa speakers, bass amp, guitar amp and anything else that can make a loud noise inwards towards drummer...

Edited by bassjim

I'm lucky in that I work with two great drummers at the moment, one whom I have been with for 8yrs. I've definitely been through my fair share of drummer issues over the years though and this thread makes me realise I'd been taking the current situation for granted.

Never had a problem with drummers. Vocalists? now they are a breed apart. We had/tried 7 different vocalists in the first 18 months of my last covers band.None of them had any PA at all, not even something they could use as a monitor, most didnt even own a mic, and some had no idea with regard to timing, when to come in, when to shut up. Three who were pretty good said they were in, then drifted away after about three or 4 rehearsals. One woman, who was amazing was all for it and full of enthusiasm, impressed so much we changed the set to suit her voice and style. Then she left claiming ill health. Perhaps it was the drummer put her off.

Currently on our 5th drummer, all the other members of the band have remained the same. Each drummer has always come with their own list of issues, current one is a great drummer, great voice, but no transport which is normally a must for a drummer! The drum kit is spread out among the rest of the band to transport to gigs!

[quote name='chrisanthony1211' timestamp='1490716455' post='3267340']
Currently on our 5th drummer, all the other members of the band have remained the same. Each drummer has always come with their own list of issues, current one is a great drummer, great voice,[b] but no transport which is normally a must for a drummer![/b] The drum kit is spread out among the rest of the band to transport to gigs!
[/quote]

I bought my last 4 vehicles based on the fact I had to get my drum kit in the back. A drummer with no transport? He wont last.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1490610800' post='3266329']
Same here.
The biggest arseholes in my experience have been [s]keyboard players[/s] [b]guitarists[/b].
[/quote]

Fixed for you...I know that you probably wrote this quickly and didn't check - I do it all the time.

Guitarists = 10 a penny, a good drummer = priceless.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1490718833' post='3267366']
Fixed for you...I know that you probably wrote this quickly and didn't check - I do it all the time.

Guitarists = 10 a penny, a good drummer = priceless.
[/quote]

No, absolutely not.

The best drummer I played with jacked it in for 5 years.
Contacted me and the guitarist for a jam, to see if he could still play.
He could, he enjoyed it and I loved it.

I told the current drummer what was happening and we were not going to replace him.

A few days later old drummer and guitarist were out, bumped into drunk current drummer. Guitarist went on at great detail how good old drummer still was. Current drummer went off on one.

Old drummer couldn't be arsed with stress and politics and sold all his gear a week later.

Net result is a sad bass player...

I should add I'm in a second band with the current drummer too...

Edited by bartelby

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1490718833' post='3267366']
Guitarists = 10 a penny, a good [s]drummer[/s] [b]keyboard player[/b] = priceless.
[/quote]
In turn, fixed for you. Last couple of times I've tried putting a project together, it's always ended up with an ivory-tinkler-shaped hole in it.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1490720045' post='3267377']
Im tempted to get a vehicle that I can't get stuff in the back... I'm currently adding 40 minutes onto every gig journey picking up band members and their equipment.
[/quote]
And now every ones gotten used to it so you are kinda stuck with it. I've been here.Your van needs to develop some serious expensive problems. There is no alternative but to get an estate so you can just about get the pa plus bass gear in. Start the ball rolling with engine complaints now so they all have time to start thinking about it. I think :P there's another topic on this already.... anyway back on topic is it a drummer mostly problem?