Why become a member? ×

What is it with drummers.

Phil Adams

Our drummer is the ONLY member of the band to have been in every line up over the last 37years
He doesn't have a drum kit.
He has a kick pedal and some cymbals and stands and a tambourine to clip on the hi-hat..that's it.
He only practices in rehearsals and gigs.
He speeds up during rolls and often gets to the one a bit early......
He loves a knob joke or an arse joke....

We wouldn't swap him for anyone

I've been with the Wirebirds for 4 years now, all four of us have been in it since the start. The drummer is definitely mad, but so are the rest of us, so he fits in quite well. Apart from not having a car. Or a driving licence....

[quote name='spikydavid' timestamp='1490812399' post='3268295']
I've found that the best thing to do is sleep with the drummer. I've done this in every band I'm in and it's worked out well so far
[/quote]

I'll try it but I'm not sure he likes cock!

:D

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1490810287' post='3268278']
The only problem is, he is in about 5 bands and sometimes we have to use a dep and that`s when the problems start....
[/quote]
It's for you to sort out if you're being sent dodgy deps.

Either find your own or insist on dep approval before he can back out of your gig.

guitarists seem to be my problem, we've just finished recording and album with a full dairy of gigs, the guitarist went into the studio on his own did about 40 overdubs and because I took one of them off one of my songs he's threatening to quit the band because I'm a control freak with an ego problem :(

[quote name='bassjim' timestamp='1490607797' post='3266279']
Problem most drummers have is no way to practice at home. Even the ones that have an electronic kit at home still have the banging away on the kick pedal that can drive neighbours downstairs/next door or family members up the wall. Lack of practice leads to lack of enthusiasm. Or frustration. Most only really practice when playing with a band be it rehearsals or gigs which leads onto the usual problems associated with that.
I think a lot of them end up as what I would call "people that happen to own a drum kit" rather than what I would call a "drummer".

In my ideal world I would like more readily available drummers that understand the whole song structure thing as well as have all the chops, are not already in umpteeen bands, dont have a permenant personal crisis on the go, just get the fact that if you play drums you have to move a drum kit about if gigging ect (thats a debate already done) have great feel and dynamics, I could go on... that are like this one.
[url="https://youtu.be/4bAY-dVtvVo"]https://youtu.be/4bAY-dVtvVo[/url]
[/quote]

I think this is an important point. It's easy for me to practise quietly at home, but how on earth does a drummer do that?

Another important consideration is keeping the drummer awake at rehearsals. While keys player, guitarist and bassist discuss the finer points of extended jazz chords and which key to do the song in, the drummer gets bored and starts checking their phone. I see this all the time, and I can certainly appreciate why some drummers wouldn't want to lug kit just to spend a fair amount of time listening to endless debates about chord shapes and progressions, and also having to put up with guitarists who insist on noodling between songs.

In my experience, guitarists and singers are often the "difficult" band members.

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1490861379' post='3268524']
Another important consideration is keeping the drummer awake at rehearsals. While keys player, guitarist and bassist discuss the finer points of extended jazz chords and which key to do the song in, the drummer gets bored and starts checking their phone.
[/quote]
My definition of a rehearsal is that everyone arrives knowing their parts and you put all the pieces together in a band context.

Things might have to be changed and honed, but working out the chords, inversions and arrangements should have already been done. You don't need to do any of that at full volume.

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1490861379' post='3268524']
In my experience, guitarists and singers are often the "difficult" band members.
[/quote]

. . . . and band leaders. I'm suffering from 2 band leading, singing, guitarists at the moment!!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1490865310' post='3268567']
My definition of a rehearsal is that everyone arrives knowing their parts and you put all the pieces together in a band context.

Things might have to be changed and honed, but working out the chords, inversions and arrangements should have already been done. You don't need to do any of that at full volume.
[/quote]

Completely agree.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1490865310' post='3268567']

[/quote]Totally agree, well said sir!!! ;)

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1490605863' post='3266249']
I must be really lucky. In 30 years of playing, all the drummers I've ever played with have been really nice, stable guys.
[/quote]

Yes, me too - they've not all been guys, but not one 'nightmare' like some seem to encounter all the time.

I'm not necessarily saying all those drummers have been nice tho - it's just that I'm a really, really nice man.

Edited by ahpook