Why become a member? ×

A mention for Phil Spalding

spectoremg

I sold a bass to Phil a couple of years ago, lovely guy!
Watched him around a year later playing in a completely live play-through of Tubular Bells, he played it from memory whereas everyone else was reading it.

Very cool
Si

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1490648716' post='3266805']
Been watching all the re-runs of TOTP on BBC4 (they're up to 1983) and the man popped up in Mike Oldfield's band. I know him from GTR and Toyah.
[/quote]

Saw him live with both Toyah (Changeling tour - a very young Simon Phillips on drums too!) and with GTR. Top player! Never worked out why he's not more well known. Ith a mysthtewy, ith a mysthterwy...

Edited by TrevorR

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1490657444' post='3266874']
Saw him live with both Toyah (Changeling tour - a very young Simon Phillips on drums too!)
[/quote]

That was a great band she had on that tour. They were superb when I saw them in Bristol.

Pretty sure he did some work with Seal in the early nineties - including the acoustic session that was filmed for a video release. The name of the film escapes me but they might have played in a church....
Great player. 😊

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1490682391' post='3266907']
A little bit of Mr Spaulding in action...

[media]http://youtu.be/qOujKHcwAW4[/media]
[/quote]Nice vid. Going off (my own) topic, I remember being very excited about GTR having enjoyed both the Steve's stuff up 'til then. Looking back though it was a bit of a disaster - MOR American tinged rock - eugh. And the singer had a mullet.
GTR fact: Jonathan Mover, the drummer, switched places with Ian Mosley in Marillion, Mosley having been in Hackett's early eighties touring band.

Edited by spectoremg

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1490728296' post='3267488']
Nice vid. Going off (my own) topic, I remember being very excited about GTR having enjoyed both the Steve's stuff up 'til then. Looking back though it was a bit of a disaster - MOR American tinged rock - eugh. And the singer had a mullet.
[/quote]

I was a big fan of both Steve Hackett & Steve Howe & like you thought a band with both of them in would be great.
How very wrong I was. Absolutely bloody awful.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1490731821' post='3267540']

I was a big fan of both Steve Hackett & Steve Howe & like you thought a band with both of them in would be great.
How very wrong I was. Absolutely bloody awful.
[/quote]

Yes, the album certainly hasn't aged well... he said being charitable... in the extreme... it hadn't aged well by about 1989!

Mind you it was a cracking gig at the Manchester Apollo. And they had two support acts who were amazing... 20 mins of Steve on acoustic followed by 20 minutes of t'other Steve on acoustic.

Edited by TrevorR

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1490744216' post='3267676']

Yes, the album certainly hasn't aged well... he said being charitable... in the extreme... it hadn't aged well by about 1989!

Mind you it was a cracking gig at the Manchester Apollo. And they had two support acts who were amazing... 20 mins of Steve on acoustic followed by 20 minutes of t'other Steve on acoustic.
[/quote]They were well hyped at the time. A discrete 'six figure sum' was received by the Steve's - so I guess the record company were calling the AOR tune. There's some video around of some studio/rehearsal sessions? And a 2nd album was maybe recorded? Max Bacon turned up on an eighties talent show doing some of the songs - prob the best place for them 😀

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1490744216' post='3267676']
[/quote]

It had aged badly by the time I got it home from the shop. :D