Why become a member? ×

Minimark Combo Bass 802

Guest McBass

Guest McBass

Anyone use that amp for small jazz gigs with drums? No shops have them in Scotland for me to try one, don't wanna spent £600 and find out it isn't loud enough. Currently borrow a Fender Rumble 100w, light as a feather.

Cheers
Rod

I had the same fears. I had a TCBG250 208, and found that was loud enough for small gigs
200W as it is, and 250W with extension cab. Really small, compact and lightweight too

I now sometimes use a Markabass Traveller 2x10, cos I do like Markbass gear. The traveller cab is very light for a 2x10, and of course, you can use it with a small, lightweight head (then of course, you need to carry the head and leads etc - so more stuff to lug about)

Depending on venue, and how heavily the drummer plays, and what other instruments are in the mix.... you may struggle with 100W
Saw a Gypsy Jazz band where the DB player used an 802 a short while back. He was plenty loud enough, but then they didn't have a drummer...

Yes, those Fender Rumble 100's are incredibly light. EDIT: I don't know how the 802 compares with the Rumble, in terms of volume? The Rumble 500 seems a nice combo - but it is considerably heavier....
Let us know what you opt for

Edited by Marc S

Guest McBass

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1490697295' post='3267095']
I had the same fears. I had a TCBG250 208, and found that was loud enough for small gigs
200W as it is, and 250W with extension cab. Really small, compact and lightweight too

I now sometimes use a Markabass Traveller 2x10, cos I do like Markbass gear. The traveller cab is very light for a 2x10, and of course, you can use it with a small, lightweight head.

Depending on venue, and how heavily the drummer plays, and what other instruments are in the mix.... you may struggle with 100W
Saw a Gypsy Jazz band where the DB player used an 802 a short while back. He was plenty loud enough, but then they didn't have a drummer...

Yes, those Fender Rumble 100's are incredibly light. The Rumble 500 seems a nice combo - but it is considerably heavier
Let us know what you opt for
[/quote]
Yeah the portability is appealing with the Mark, the drummer isn't a hard hitter and the gigs are generally quieter.

The TC is really compact too though - it's smaller than it looks in the photos! lol
I sold mine sometime back, as I had that, plus a few cabs and heads (for different options / bands / venues / DB etc)
But now I wish I really hadn't sold it - as it really was a nice little combo, and powerful for its diminutive size...

Edited by Marc S

I've used a MB 802 and it did have decent volume. Perfectly usable with a drummer in a jazz band but probably not quite loud enough for rock, blues, pop covers etc.

I had an Eden EC28 and it was (subjectively) as good as the MB 802 and a third of the cost. The only downside being that the Eden is a little bigger, although light weight, so perfectly manageable.

I prefer my Barefaced one10 + GK MB200 head to either of the above. It's lighter in weight, just as loud but has a smaller footprint and sounds better - to my ears at least.

Frank.

I've used mine to rehearse with a sax, guitar, keys, drums and 2 vox soul/jazz band and it was fine, has a line out if you need to do so. It was only on about 60% volume but don't know how much louder it would go without distorting? I use my CMD121p for gigs

I do gig the 802 with a 2 acoustic guitars, mouth harp, 3X vox americana band ( no drums) and fine too.

This may help further if you have not spotted it: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/296307-mark-bass-minimark-802-and-801

It has quite a jazzy voicing and only the VLE and VPF for equalisation

• 3 weeks later...
Guest McBass

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1492357449' post='3279637']
Welcome to the 802 club!
It may be worth checking all the screws around the back for tightness, I found quite a few after a few months had loosened up and started to unwind!
[/quote]
Thanks for the heads up.