Why become a member? ×

Bogart Blackstone 5-String for Sale
£1150

Stuart Clayton

I've decided to sell my Bogart Blackstone 5-string bass. This instrument was purchased from Mansons Guitars at the London Bass Show in 2012. It originally was black with a blue paint splatter finish that was quite hideous. I had it stripped and refinished in a deep metallic blue, as seen in these photographs. I have installed a perspex ramp at the neck end of the fingerboard - this was to lower the string-to-body distance and assist with double thumbing/popping techniques. It[font=inherit] is not fixed in place permanently, it slides out. Pickups are Bartolini, not sure what the preamp is, but it sounds amazing.[/font]
[font=inherit]
This bass is a complete slap machine and was my go-to 5-string bass for a few years. I had another bass built for me last year with a smaller body which was intended to replace this one, hence the sale. The instrument is in superb condition, no dings at all on the body work. [/font][font=inherit]
A few years ago I shot a video of me playing Alain Caron's track 'D-Code' on the bass, which you can see here:[/font][font=inherit]
[url="https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DLDcc2zD62Ag&h=ATOiYOspcm7xti-G1Ke1skhPNacHuquUO8OnQeYUiXJgAcch6Q-dy3qs8HOy39P0NhDC9QQ5vAsVNWY2m0pJwZOMYsF5y-haMiPi9IjAuuJaOV5v35G35NawWMiw24z2luvhwzWtLw&enc=AZNmZVxNtfbBkHKYHduuaqbdeyWhIcKXgM8bSPsepHqGW8Wu7jXmnXbKNIo7i-XSIFq_1ldFa1lzNwekZUgODhlqKD2lScMuqVT1ucZ1rLqcCcS6a8y8yuQKiqiwj6jw2OQqY8FupkkdRAOtzykhWxFgTrJevKFi6dqkdVWcW4WXhg&s=1"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDcc2zD62Ag[/url][/font][font=inherit]
Any questions please ask. No trades please, I have too many basses! If any interested parties are in the area, I'm happy to let them try the bass out.[/font]

Hey Stu

Not wanting to de-rail your sale but I see that it has a headless tuning system similar to the one we're using on my current build. Can you posts pics of how the strings are held on at the headstock end for reference.

BTW I purchased the Giants of Bass Vol 1 at the LBGS - great book - I can see that it took a lot of work. Highly recommend this to anybody looking at this period of bass history.

• 2 weeks later...

Yum, as an owner of no less than 3 Bogarts I can vouch for how good these are...... for me they are all I want in a bass. They are quirky, have ultra Fast necks, solid bottom, musical highs. And the fact they are truly hand made by 1 guy in his small shop means they are rare.

If only I could validate buying this.... wow, GAS levels are very high.

Stuart, your bass is from the early '00's it seems and that would make the preamp a 3 band Noll.

If my GAS gets the better of me I might be jumping thru hoops and PM-ing you ;)

[quote name='HazBeen' timestamp='1491736481' post='3275066']
Yum, as an owner of no less than 3 Bogarts I can vouch for how good these are...... for me they are all I want in a bass. They are quirky, have ultra Fast necks, solid bottom, musical highs. And the fact they are truly hand made by 1 guy in his small shop means they are rare.

If only I could validate buying this.... wow, GAS levels are very high.

Stuart, your bass is from the early '00's it seems and that would make the preamp a 3 band Noll.

If my GAS gets the better of me I might be jumping thru hoops and PM-ing you ;)
[/quote]

Hi,

Yes, awesome basses indeed. I picked this up and played it last night and was tempted to just hang it back on the wall and cancel the sale! Unfortunately I just don't use it enough now I have my Sei bass.

The original owner has been in touch and told me that the original preamp went wrong when he had it and was replaced by a Noll.

Cheers
Stuart

• 2 months later...