Why become a member? ×

School me on roundwounds

I've used various flats for the last few years, but in the band I'm playing with at the moment I feel like rounds might be the thing. It's a kind of blues/rockish trio and I just want a bit more grunt and more upfront tone, though not all that "hi-fi" modern sounding. I'm about 80/20 fingerstyle/pick, no slap in our set. The last time I regularly used rounds must be a bit over ten years ago, when I used to just buy whatever stainless steel rounds were cheapest in a local music shop (sometimes Rotos, sometimes Elites or various other brands), so I haven't given a lot of thought to the differences between brands and types.
I've got a set of .045" to .130" Warwick Red Label stainless steel on at the moment. They're not bad, I like the B, E and A but the G is maybe a bit thinner and zingier than I want and they're kind of abrasive feeling. I'm thinking perhaps nickel could be worth a look. Any particular recommendations? Premium brands like DR are a bit more expensive than I'm up for, especially since I'm looking at 5-string sets...

I used D'Addario nickel rounds in a blues rock band for a few years, on both Jazz and Precisions. I played finger style only. In the last year, I have had to switch to using a pick (damaged fingers in an accident) and found the rounds a bit too toppy, so have changed to flats, still playing the same style of music.

Edited by FinnDave

After checking many brands and types (GHS, Rotosound...), I switched to D'Addario nickel: it's 25 years and I'm still satisfied. Unexpensive (you can change them often if you like a fresh sound), consistent in quality, well balanced.
Maybe it's a simple illusion, but looks like in the last two or three years they seem to be less durable, or maybe my hands's sweating has simply changed, I don't know.

I have gone back to Rotosound RB45's I stopped using them a few years back as there was am issue with dead E strings but been using a few sets for the last 6 months on various basses and am very happy Dean Markley strings are worth a try the nickel rounds are pretty good, I loved the Helix strings but they dont make them anymore :(

For me Rotosound Steel Rounds are king, I just can`t get the sound they have from any other make. That said the most comfortable rounds I`ve played have been D`Addario Pro Steels. They have a nice even tone tone to them as well. As you`ve mentioned Nickel the Roto Nickel Rounds are nice, and have a good balance between warm and punchy.

Edited by Lozz196

I'd say Flats are good for a Blues/Rock trio.That's what I use on my PJ5.

I have 4 Jazz basses, 2 are strung with DR's and the other 2 are strung with Dunlop Super Brights. IME DR's are the best for tone and longevity. The initial outlay might be more but they sound better for longer so, in use, they aren't as expensive as at first glance. I used to make a set last for about 10 months.

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1490941034' post='3269142']
I have gone back to Rotosound RB45's I stopped using them a few years back as there was am issue with dead E strings but been using a few sets for the last 6 months on various basses and am very happy Dean Markley strings are worth a try the nickel rounds are pretty good, I loved the Helix strings but they dont make them anymore :(
[/quote]

I stocked up and purchased a a load. Let me know if you want some. I only have 5str NPS

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1490951829' post='3269289']
I'd say Flats are good for a Blues/Rock trio.That's what I use on my PJ5.

I have 4 Jazz basses, 2 are strung with DR's and the other 2 are strung with Dunlop Super Brights. IME DR's are the best for tone and longevity. The initial outlay might be more but they sound better for longer so, in use, they aren't as expensive as at first glance. I used to make a set last for about 10 months.
[/quote]

I'd been using flatwounds (first Sadowsky and then Fender) - it's a good sound but since we started playing with a new drummer and the guitarist has been leaning in a more rockish direction, I've been thinking about changing things up a bit.
An old bandmate (in the other band that I play guitar with) used to use DR Black Beauties and I quite liked the sound of those. Chris Wood from Medeski, Martin & Wood has a sound I like too, and he's also using Black Beauties. If they weren't so expensive, they'd be high up my list to check out. I guess that does mean that other coated nickel wounds could be worth checking out too.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1490949993' post='3269258']
For me Rotosound Steel Rounds are king, I just can`t get the sound they have from any other make. That said the most comfortable rounds I`ve played have been D`Addario Pro Steels. They have a nice even tone tone to them as well. As you`ve mentioned Nickel the Roto Nickel Rounds are nice, and have a good balance between warm and punchy.
[/quote]

When I used to use roundwounds a few years ago they were usually steel Rotosounds - I was playing in a noisy band and I liked the clank I could get from them. I wouldn't mind something a touch less raspy feeling and clangy though, hence the desire to try some nickel wounds.
I've got a pub gig tomorrow which I'll do with the steel Red Labels, and that should help me figure out whether I can get on with steels or not.

Everyone is different, huh?

Elixir Nanowebs. It would probably be simpler to list the string manufacturers that I haven't tried during this 30+ sojourn. OK, let's get the negatives out of the way first. They cost £35-40 a set. Drum roll. And that's it. They last for ages. They sound pretty much the same six months after you put them on.

• 1 month later...

I've been using D'addarios for years - mainly flats but have changed to rounds again. I've been using EXL165 on my Sterling and they are pretty bright and the smoothest roundwound string I've ever used - I've lost count of the number of wasted strings over the years trying to find "my ones"

I changed my strings in the middle of December during the Christmas gigs and only changed them again last week. I could've got more out of them but wanted to give the bass a good clean, wax and lemon oil the fretboard.