Why become a member? ×

G&L Kiloton

Sean

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1490821357' post='3268394']
£1500!!! No thanks, I'll wait for the Tribute model.
[/quote]

Fit and finish on an American job is quite remarkable, loads of options on necks and colours and they feel worth totally worth it. However, I have heard that G&L are moving their American distribution at the moment, so getting one may be an issue.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1490821357' post='3268394']
£1500!!! No thanks, I'll wait for the Tribute model.
[/quote]
I agree that it is a lot but it is in the range of some other well known American manufacturers

Edited by Pinball

I love it and can hear the tones coming though that I love in my other G&L's. I love the passive sounds from my L1500 and can hear the same here. Another nice video here.

[url="https://youtu.be/3FqdXEWA1Mw"]https://youtu.be/3FqdXEWA1Mw[/url]

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1490825790' post='3268432']
Sounds great here:

[media]http://youtu.be/_jBaovVmeBc[/media]

I love my Sandberg Basic for its Stingray-esque tones but with a slimmer neck and smaller body, I could see myself getting on with one of these too for the same reasons.
[/quote]

Sounds fantastic to me...just my sort of tone
Dammit, thought i had conquered the gas thing with my current bunch...

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1490858410' post='3268485']
I agree that it is a lot but it is in the range of some other well known American manufacturers
[/quote]

I think they (as in Fender & Musicman) are overpriced for what you get too.

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1490859390' post='3268497']
I love the passive sounds from my L1500 and can hear the same here.
[/quote]
Apart from the addition of a single coil mode and the passive tone control, how does the Kiloton differ from an L1500 in passive mode? The pickup looks to be in exactly the same position so surely it's pretty much an L1500 without a preamp. Is it really different enough to be a new model or just a slick bit of marketing? Having said that, I love how it sounds and want one!

[quote name='Tee' timestamp='1490892710' post='3268903']
It's a shame they can't make the L1000 again, with the pickup in the correct position.
[/quote]
Was my thought too - my L1000 I recently bought off Garath is phenomenal.

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1490892228' post='3268895']
Apart from the addition of a single coil mode and the passive tone control, how does the Kiloton differ from an L1500 in passive mode? The pickup looks to be in exactly the same position so surely it's pretty much an L1500 without a preamp. Is it really different enough to be a new model or just a slick bit of marketing? Having said that, I love how it sounds and want one!
[/quote]
The SB shape and resulting lighter weight should be a big + and I think that the control options and layout look really good too. I would like to try one.

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1490908771' post='3269045']
Excuse my ignorance, why not?
[/quote]

With regards to the humbucker with the series/parallel/single coil switch, they only make a two pickup version, or a single 'bridge' position version, rather than the L1000's original position.

I'd like this but with a neck pickup too (with same options) but keeping the bridge pickup where it is, this would make it similar to an L-2000 but with better MM sounds available, I also prefer it with a pickguard which isn't available on the L-2000.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1490951831' post='3269290']
I'd like this but with a neck pickup too (with same options) but keeping the bridge pickup where it is, this would make it similar to an L-2000 but with better MM sounds available, I also prefer it with a pickguard which isn't available on the L-2000.
[/quote] I don't think a G&L pup sounds much like... well anything else, including a MM pup IME it's crazy

Strangely I thought it sounded very MM - I quite like the range of sounds - it's like a version of an MM Sterling and the selector switch does more or less the same and the pick up's in exactly the right position from what I can see - really surprised the reviewer didn't pick up on that.

The properly rooted G and L bridge also contributes to the sound - Musicman also use deeply rooted bridges.

Interesting that Musicman's Caprice and Cutlass passive basses have bridges which exclude the deeply rooted bolts - probably part of how they get the more vintagey PJ and P vibe. That said its still higher mass than that original Fender bridge.

G&L are now producing an amazing array of basses. The only gap I can see is the 5 string SB/P bass
ASAT's , L series, M series, The MJ's, JB's, LB, Kiliton and SB's

Loks like they have most "basses" covered :)

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/USA/basses/index.asp