Why become a member? ×

Did you ever trade an instrument on talkbass?

fiatcoupe432

I bought a bass from a guy off Talkbass. Then found out he lived in Denmark. It was a good sale and no customs were involved. Which was a bonus.

Talkbass has a trading feedback system so you can check people out before you do any deals.

Whenever I have contacted anyone about a bass on Talkbass, I have always got pretty rudely dismissed as a non-US resident and as such impossible to deal with.....

Not quite as global friendly a place as here :)

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1490828576' post='3268439']
Whenever I have contacted anyone about a bass on Talkbass, I have always got pretty rudely dismissed as a non-US resident and as such impossible to deal with.....

[/quote]

As usual, I think just depends on your perspective. After 14 years on TB I just posted my first bass for sale ad. The only taker lives in The Netherlands. I had to explain how CITES permitting works, and that it would take a minimum of 2-3 months before I would be able to ship to any international address. On top of that shipping will be at least threefold what it would be domestically, and all insurance fees will be on the buyer. If I'm a crybaby for not relishing all of that, so be it...

In this case the prospective buyer is perfectly willing to jump through all the hoops. As long as he pays now (which he actually suggested), all good!

I bought a bass off a guy on TB in the USA.

Very smooth transaction.
He offered to take the neck off or post whole.
The postage cost was $110 so not prohibitive.
It was packaged and packaged very well.
He declared a value less than what it was was import fee was reasonable.
Very nice gentleman and have stayed in touch from time to time.
Took about 2-3 weeks in total and was cheaper than getting a similar bass over here.

All in all very pleasant

I had a Lakland JO5 which I traded with a guy in the States for DJ 5 (or vice versa, I honestly cannot remember). It was easy peasy. I got hit for tax on the way in, but I knew that was coming.

If I could justify it I would be all over this like a bad rash https://www.talkbass.com/threads/musicman-bongo-5hh-marty-bell-western-blue-big-sparkle-flake-finish.1265232/#post-19831602

I've bought and sold lots of basses from other parts of the world, but never through an ad on TalkBass, as IME even before CITES all the basses I was interested in seemed to be owned by members who were reluctant to ship outside of the US.

Having had lots of experience of buying from other countries, I know in advance that shipping is going to be more expensive for me, and I know that the additional cost can put some potential buyers off. I also know from the basses I've sold to people in other countries that here in the UK at least, sending a bass abroad is no more difficult than sending it to the next town in the same country, it just cost a bit more.

Maybe because there is such a big potential market within the US, sellers don't think that dealing with someone from another country is worth the slight amount of extra effort, when a US-based buyer will be along very shortly.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1490880924' post='3268750']
I also know from the basses I've sold to people in other countries that here in the UK at least, sending a bass abroad is no more difficult than sending it to the next town in the same country, it just cost a bit more.
[/quote]

Unfortunately, if the instrument has rosewood of any type in it that is emphatically no longer the case for those of us in the US. It never really was the case though, actually.

[quote name='Passinwind' timestamp='1490890410' post='3268874']
Unfortunately, if the instrument has rosewood of any type in it that is emphatically no longer the case for those of us in the US. It never really was the case though, actually.
[/quote]

I can appreciate that post CITES no-one wants to take a risk with sending instruments abroad.

However, can you explain for us here in the UK exactly what the problems were for someone in the US were with sending a bass abroad before CITES messed everything up, because from the opposite side (sending from the UK to the US) then only issue was the increased postage.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1490892694' post='3268902']
However, can you explain for us here in the UK exactly what the problems were for someone in the US were with sending a bass abroad before CITES messed everything up, because from the opposite side (sending from the UK to the US) then only issue was the increased postage.
[/quote]

For starters:

Did you need a Shipper's Export Declaration? What Harmonized Code number did you use for the customs declaration, and which customs form did you need? Did you confirm that you had sufficient third party insurance for a vintage instrument, since US couriers are notorious for not actually providing that in the event of a claim? If there was a dispute who paid for return shipping and customs brokerage fees, if any? For experienced sellers all this stuff is a known quantity, and part of the landscape of doing business, but many first time sellers tend to just say no thanks. My wife and I both worked as FedEx couriers, and frankly, so many people get international shipping wrong over here, and as usual, even one bad experience balloons into an Interweb meme at the drop of a hat these days.

[quote name='Passinwind' timestamp='1490901118' post='3268977']
For starters:

Did you need a Shipper's Export Declaration? What Harmonized Code number did you use for the customs declaration, and which customs form did you need? Did you confirm that you had sufficient third party insurance for a vintage instrument, since US couriers are notorious for not actually providing that in the event of a claim? If there was a dispute who paid for return shipping and customs brokerage fees, if any? For experienced sellers all this stuff is a known quantity, and part of the landscape of doing business, but many first time sellers tend to just say no thanks. My wife and I both worked as FedEx couriers, and frankly, so many people get international shipping wrong over here, and as usual, even one bad experience balloons into an Interweb meme at the drop of a hat these days.
[/quote]

If you really need to deal with all that stuff in the US then I will happily concede that shipping outside of the country for you is simply too much hassle and stop trying to buy musical instruments from you. Having said that though I've successfully bought basses from private sellers in the US through eBay...

Selling something to someone in another (non-EU) country here in the UK is far simpler, which is probably why we are so unsympathetic to the US stance on selling abroad. IME you simply get in touch with the shipping company - I use UPS or FedEx booked through a broker for international shipping. If you need a customs declaration for the country you are sending to the shipping company provide the appropriate one as part of the shipping documents, and IIRC there's not a lot to fill in - mostly a short description of the item (I've found that "Bass Guitar" is sufficient) and the value, which is the price I sold the instrument for. And that is it.

Customs charges and import taxes are the responsibility of the person receiving the parcel. Insurance is bought at the time of booking the delivery and I have had occasion to use it for a package to Japan that was lost in transit. The shipping company paid up promptly, in full and without any quibbles. I've never had anything returned, possibly because all the items I've sold have been fully and accurately described, so I haven't had a problem like that, but if it was to happen AFAIAC it would be the responsibility of the person returning the item.

When it is that easy here in the UK you can probably appreciate why we can't understand why US sellers are so reluctant to ship abroad.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1490903285' post='3268991']
If you really need to deal with all that stuff in the US then I will happily concede that shipping outside of the country for you is simply too much hassle and stop trying to buy musical instruments from you. Having said that though I've successfully bought basses from private sellers in the US through eBay...[/quote]

Thankfully lots of us just get lucky and everything goes fine, of course. If a first time eBay seller did all of that due diligence with no problems all on their own I salute them. Once you've done it a few times it becomes much easier though, and for me the extra hour or two it takes (or far less if you're good at it) isn't really that big of a deal. But in any case, I'm wrestling with a CITES permitting deal right now, and while it's a huge PITA for me, if I were the buyer I would just fly over here and pick up the bass if I wanted it as badly as he does. Seriously ! And my case is relatively simple and clear cut, since it falls under the pre-convention exemption guidelines. But I still need a re-export permit and the buyer will need an import one. And the consequences for failing to get the permits can be permanent and irrevocable confiscation of the instrument. Ugly, no?

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1490828576' post='3268439']

[/quote]

My experience was quite the opposite. I bought two basses from Talkbass. Both were smooth and positive transactions.