Why become a member? ×

Enfield vs the real J, P, MM etc???

margusalviste

Hi.
I have a Simms Enfield Lionheart with the Super Quads. I would say it gets pretty close to the sound of the basses it's supposed to mimic, but to me it still has a sound all of it's own, some extra character so to speak.

It's a great tool , well built and easy to play and gives lot's of tonal options if that's what you are after?
Saying all that I still use my P or Jazz when I want that sound or feel. maybe just because I already own them. Great bass still and a keeper for me.
Hopefully someone else will chime in.

[quote name='margusalviste' timestamp='1490870680' post='3268621']
Thanks! I am just about to trade my Fodera NYC for an Enfield Canon. There is also a bunch of Jazz basses and Precisions in my corner waiting to get some playing time but I need one-does-it-all 4-string for my gigs.
[/quote]

Sounds like the Simms could be just the job for you then.
Just out of interest what pickups are in the Canon, the Super 8's?

From demos, as I haven't played one, I thought it sounded good, but not really that close to the real deal. Especially 'Stingray mode' where the pickup position is all important, something that most dual pickup basses stumble on as the sweet spot is kind of in the middle of the two! I'm also not a fan of the lights but they could be disconnected easily enough I assume.

If I had to choose one pickup config to do it all, I guess it would be some P+MM+J monstrosity, but I've never seen it done!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1490890399' post='3268873']
From demos, as I haven't played one, I thought it sounded good, but not really that close to the real deal. Especially 'Stingray mode' where the pickup position is all important, something that most dual pickup basses stumble on as the sweet spot is kind of in the middle of the two! I'm also not a fan of the lights but they could be disconnected easily enough I assume.

If I had to choose one pickup config to do it all, I guess it would be some P+MM+J monstrosity, but I've never seen it done!
[/quote]

If you get the P and MM config you could always coil tap the MM. Or you could just get a Peavey T40 and see what the hype is all about.

[quote name='margusalviste' timestamp='1490987238' post='3269696']
Just got the Canon Custom 4! It sounds nothing like a J or P or MM! ...

IT SOUNDS MUCH BETTER!!! WOW, WHAT A MONSTER BASS IT IS!!! IT'S A REAL HEAVY CANON!!!
[/quote]
Terve.
Glad it's what you wanted and more.

[quote name='ba55i5t' timestamp='1490959284' post='3269388']

If you get the P and MM config you could always coil tap the MM. Or you could just get a Peavey T40 and see what the hype is all about.
[/quote]

I've had a T40, it sounds like none of them! The sound of that with both pups on full vol/tone played aggressively with a pick into an AD200 was bliss though!