Why become a member? ×

Telecaster bass template

nash

I doubt you'll find one specifically for bass. You could try looking for G&L ASAT plans... but I'm not sure they are any bigger than the guitar version. I use the guitar size, however the scale length is only 30" or 32" on my tele basses. You could of course still use the guitar size with 34" scale, it'll just mean the nut sits further away and effects the balance in a negative way.

To be honest I'd think twice before using 34" scale, it'd take some substantial modifications to the body shape to make the bass balance correctly. The G&L ASAT even comes with the option of a metal extender to extend the strap button location where it needs to be. Which is hardly ideal!

This one (below) at 30" scale balances perfectly, even with the vintage style tuners, but at 34" it'd neck dive.

[url="http://s1067.photobucket.com/user/Manton-Customs/media/Echo.png.html"][/url]

Edited by Manton Customs

I could envisage moving the bridge point to another couple of inches back, carving a radius on the bottom of the bass edge and anchoring the strings round that radius at the back of the bass. This could give a bridge point near the edge of the bass without putting the strings through a right angle bend.
Then a 34" scale neck with lightweight tuners might just balance.