Why become a member? ×

Pickup height and jazz pickup question

funkyjimbob

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hello![/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I currently have a Warwick Infinity 5 string custom shop that comes loaded with this pickup configuration[/font][/color][list]
[*]Active MEC J/TJ pickups
[/list]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Here is the actual bass itself:[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]After having a play around recently I have found that the pickup height makes a HUGE difference on this bass,specifically the single neck jazz pickup and a lot more than my other Warwicks. They are currently the stock MEC pickups that come straight from Warwick. The sound is so much fatter and round and just sounds infinitely better when closer to the strings. The problem I am having is that when I have my pickup very high the position of the pickup itself and where I naturally like to play interfere with each other. I can't get my fingers behind the strings properly and it interferes with my slap and palm mute techniques. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Before having to adjust my technique I was just wondering if there were any other options available to me here.. more powerful pickups that could allow for the further string height or similar? I'm not really knowledgeable in this area so please pardon my ignorance. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Thanks! [/font][/color]

Edited by funkyjimbob

have an electronics tech look at the active circuit - there will most likely be a trim control on the board to set the gain for each pickup - if there is then you should be able to lower the pickup for finger clearance and then adjust the gain to balance the pickup signal level to be comparable with the bridge pickup

maybe try emailing warwick and ask if this eq board has pickup gain trim pots

:)