Why become a member? ×

Pedal cable

timmo

You can just use a normal guitar lead, though with pedal boards you'll usually use the shortest leads available to try and minimise the total length of cable run between your bass and the amp. Another thing to consider is that normal guitar leads with straight jacks will force you to have a huge space between your pedals. I personally like EBS patch cables, they've got very flat-headed right-angle connectors.

S.P.

I do not recommend EBS (or the clones made by Warwick); I tested a whole bunch of patch cables in a simple true bypass looper into a headphone amp when trying to diagnose the cause of noise in my signal chain. All the EBS ones picked up a huge amount of hum (presumably from nearby sources of interference such as my PC or dimmer switch), whereas the other ones with proper shielded metal jacks were totally silent.

I've mentioned this elsewhere only to have others say they've experienced no issues with theirs. Neither did I until I decided to test them as above, so I invite any other naysayers to do the same!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1490957734' post='3269368']
I do not recommend EBS (or the clones made by Warwick); I tested a whole bunch of patch cables in a simple true bypass looper into a headphone amp when trying to diagnose the cause of noise in my signal chain. All the EBS ones picked up a huge amount of hum (presumably from nearby sources of interference such as my PC or dimmer switch), whereas the other ones with proper shielded metal jacks were totally silent.

I've mentioned this elsewhere only to have others say they've experienced no issues with theirs. Neither did I until I decided to test them as above, so I invite any other naysayers to do the same!
[/quote]

So what did you end up with?

[quote name='Westenra' timestamp='1490960343' post='3269403']
So what did you end up with?
[/quote]

A mixture of George L's here and there (even though their reliability isn't great), and a bunch of these in varying lengths: https://www.thomann.de/gb/sommer_cable_spirit_xs_highflex_02.htm

Not as compact or flexible as the EBS, but still fairly low profile and look like they'll last forever!

I use the Cordial ones, and have done for about 18 months without issue. They're on Thomann for not much, have good quality jacks on and use decent grade cable.

Like this one - https://m.thomann.de/gb/cordial_cfi_06_rr.htm

Edited by Tonteee

Or you can use a solid connector...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mooer-PCC-Column-Pedal-Connector-/131789397214

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-4-JACK-JACK-CONNECTOR-EFFECT-PEDAL-PATCH-CABLE-LEAD-/122389250706

just search for pedal connector.. Work really well if power is on the top of the pedal, can be a bit cramped if power on the side...

On solid connectors - I have had limited success with these. I feel you really need same brand pedals together for these to be effective. This also restricts the ways you can order the chain. The cammed ones do help, but not enough IMO. YMMV, natch...

Solid connectors can cause problems in the long run - most MXR-style Hammond enclosures are slightly trapezoidal, so especially if you have more than 2 in a row, you are putting a lot of strain on the jacks, which is especially bad if they are soldered to the PCB.

Edited by dannybuoy

I've been using a lot of George Ls for a few years now with no reliability issues at all. But my pedals are always on boards so the connector cables aren't getting moved around, twisted or strained.
For tight spaces & short connectors I also use these - https://www.fxpedal.co.uk/gyc-kinsman-slimline-0-15m-patch-cable-p306 I've had a couple fail over the years but they are so easy to open up and re solder.
I've recently got some of these - https://www.thomann.de/gb/rockboard_flat_patch_cable_black_5_cm.htm?ref=search_prv_11 I have the 5, 10 & 20cm lengths and so far they seem to do the job just fine. They are very discreet and definitely save space.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1490957734' post='3269368']

[/quote]

This has been my experience to. My pedal board is very cramped, so I currently have no choice, but as soon as I can afford a bigger board I'll be ditching the Warwick connectors. Not only do they seem noise prone, but the failure rate has been quite high too. Even cheapo Stagg ones with metal plugs seemed better shielded. MXR may be better I guess, but the Warwick ones were easier to get in the range of lengths I needed.

• 2 weeks later...