Why become a member? ×

Hoping to prove that disco doesn’t suck :)

Skol303

[color=#800000][b]UPDATE:[/b] ...so I ended up coming 3rd out of 252 entrants and won $100. Which I think is about £2.47 in new money.[/color]

[color=#800000]Woot! I'm off to buy a yacht. A really tiny little yacht B)[/color]

----------

Friends, Romans, Basschatters… lend me your ears!

Thought I’d share something I’ve been working on with y’all. I produce a lot of EDM, but I occasionally get to indulge my passion for funk and disco as with this ‘ere remix, which has been entered into a commercial competition:

[b][url="http://www.indabamusic.com/opportunities/wolf-saga-keep-dancing-remix-contest/submissions/fbdd11b8-0c2b-11e7-b3d8-0e23ec8b8f61"]CLICK TO LISTEN[/url][/b]

Bass is a Stingray 5 played by yours truly (recorded DI). Guitars are also my own. The rest is all samples arranged in MIDI.

I’d normally post this in the Share Your Music forum. But in this instance I’m unashamedly prostituting myself for votes :gas: So if you like what you hear and have a Facebook account, then please support a fellow BC’er and vote.

Critical feedback [i]very[/i] welcome.

Cheers guys :drinks:

Edited by Skol303

Been long proven that Disco doesn't suck [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/281682-disco-faves/page__st__150__p__3141013__hl__disco__fromsearch__1#entry3141013"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/281682-disco-faves/page__st__150__p__3141013__hl__disco__fromsearch__1#entry3141013[/url]

Will have a listen - always appreciate your stuff, and like a lot of it too!

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1491085844' post='3270467']
i always think there are things to learn bless you.
[/quote]

I must have a low IQ.

I got more out of the first 8 measures of the bass line of this Gwen Mcrea tune then Thundercats entire body of work.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1491072506' post='3270352']Nice tune :) But not really what I would call disco :)[/quote]
Pedant! :D ...but you're right, it's not [i]strictly[/i] disco. Maybe nu-disco. Whatever that is.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1491072749' post='3270353']Will have a listen - always appreciate your stuff, and like a lot of it too![/quote]
Thanks bud!

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1491083391' post='3270447']Voted for you. Not just for being a fellow BCer, but also because it's a cracking tune![/quote]
Cheers G! Appreciated mate.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1491085844' post='3270467']i always think there are things to learn bless you.[/quote]
[i]Atishoo![/i] :) Great reference track.

Listened, loved it, but can't vote as I'm not on faceboook.

It has a kind of indie vibe to it as well as the disco.

It reminded me a bit of Two Door Cinema Club's latest album, which is a very good thing.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1490990088' post='3269728']...please support a fellow BC’er and vote...
[/quote]

Looking through the rules, it states that the vote count won't be used for judging in the end; it's The Man Himself who'll choose, based only on musicality. I suppose it can't hurt having lots of votes, of course. No, I've not a FBook account, so can't oblige, anyway.
As to the mix... Smooth, no 'glitches'. It's out of my 'favourite listening' scale of reference, of course, but respects the genre. The bass a bit 'busy' at times, and I always find snappy snares tiring quite quickly. Frankly, I preferred the original except for the overpowering bass drum, which must physically hurt on a dance floor. No, a good mix (bonus points for the short break, which gives some respite from the infernal 'pressure' built in...), but I won't be putting it in the car for driving to. R4 it ain't.
Good luck, and well done for trying, whatever the outcome. B)

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1491208709' post='3271146']Great job, voted :)[/quote]
[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1491209184' post='3271148']Good luck, and well done for trying, whatever the outcome.[/quote]
Thanks guys! Really appreciate you having a listen :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok, so I have another remix in the offing and this one [i]really is[/i] disco :D

Bass is a Fender Jazz 5-string, recorded DI.

[url="https://www.indabamusic.com/opportunities/starita-rules-remix-contest/submissions/e3a59d04-375f-11e7-b9eb-0ef6abf8e455"][b]CLICK TO LISTEN[/b][/url]

Hope you dig it. Comments very welcome.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1497341075' post='3317347']...Comments very welcome.
[/quote]

With trepidation, I decided to give this a listen, despite the 'Contains elements of Disco' warning, and can confirm that it is,, indeed, heavily based on that genre. It is, however ungrudgingly (unusual for me...) that I can also declare that it's a fine, authentic, modernised mix, performed to a very high standard, and would be a worthy spin on any dance floor. A solid beat, respecting the traditional 'One, One, One, One...' emphasis, soaring strings punctuating appropriately, and featuring a quite tortured 'bridge' in which the vocals are given a new twist to good effect. Criticism..? Other than the genre, which is only a matter of my (poor...) taste, I'd have liked the bass to have been a tad more prominent; it's a little bit too shyly buried, and deserves, in its execution and respect of the style to be a fraction more up-front. Other than that, I'd say 'Well done, you', even if I can never see the point of going over such territory. I'll avow to having only ever spent time in discos as a technician, installing the light and sound systems, and left as soon as the show started; my dancing skills being akin to a pile of breeze blocks being attacked by a westerly wind. Full marks, then, to Skol303 for keeping the nostalgic flag aloft for those who still remember those heady daze. Good Stuff, old chum. My thumb is up.

Edited by Dad3353

Thanks Doug, [i]really[/i] appreciate the feedback as always! :)

I did wonder about the bass... always one of the most tricky parts to mix, IMO. It actually sounded on the verge of being too prominent on my monitors, so I probably need to start double-checking my mixes on a few more systems to be sure (I use to check everything on monitors, hi fi speakers, multiple headphones, car stereo, laptop speakers, etc, but gave up because it was becoming all consuming. Might revisit some of those methods, however).

One thing about disco is I do love the basslines. I'm actually not a big aficionado of the genre, but have been trying to take a few lessons from Bernard Edwards et al as best I can.

Thanks again mate.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1497358230' post='3317504']
I did wonder about the bass... always one of the most tricky parts to mix, IMO. It actually sounded on the verge of being too prominent on my monitors, so I probably need to start double-checking my mixes on a few more systems to be sure (I use to check everything on monitors, hi fi speakers, multiple headphones, car stereo, laptop speakers, etc, but gave up because it was becoming all consuming. Might revisit some of those methods, however).
[/quote]

I agree it is a touch low on my semi-decent in-ear earphones. I can see your point of there being too many devices to check on these days. I reckon you would be fine with a check on monitors, headphones and probably a phone speaker, would cover most circumstances that people listen to music on (but you obviously know more than me so that's just my 2 cents ;) ).

Great work though! Keep it up.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1497358230' post='3317504']
Thanks Doug...
[/quote]

You really don't need to go mad for balancing, except as a final check; just have a couple of decent reference tracks that you can compare to during the mixing process. Surely easy enough to choose in that genre..? No suggestions; you know which ones would fit the bill far better than I. Your innate demure and humble attitude to your own playing has some influence, too. Take that bushel off to let your light shine bright and clear, and rock out now and again..! ;)

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='BassApprentice' timestamp='1497358992' post='3317508']I agree it is a touch low on my semi-decent in-ear earphones.[/quote]

Thanks for listening, always good to get feedback from another pair of ears :)

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1497360292' post='3317515']Take that bushel off to let your light shine bright and clear, and rock out now and again..! [/quote]

Great advice Doug! I do need to take my bushel off and have a bit more confidence in my playing, perhaps.

[size=3]A bushel is like a merkin, right...?[/size] :lol: