Why become a member? ×

Maruszczyk Jake advice needed please

miles'tone

I made the mistake of venturing down the rabbit hole that is the Public Peace Website 😯 and have seen a couple of Jakes that I like the look of. The seemingly standard 40mm nut width is a bit thinner than I'm used to but I could get used to that as long as the depth front to back isn't too slim. American Standard-ish, or Geddy Lee-like? Any advice or experience will be greatly appreciated!
I know that I can custom order anything with Adrian but I'm looking to keep the cost down by going with what's in stock.
Cheeoz.

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1490997471' post='3269816']
I know that I can custom order anything with Adrian but I'm looking to keep the cost down by going with what's in stock.
[/quote]

It doesn't actually affect the price much, just the time to get it. If you are going to be interested in getting one, do yourself a favour, find out what sort of neck you want and order it exactly like that!

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1490999405' post='3269834']

It doesn't actually affect the price much, just the time to get it. If you are going to be interested in getting one, do yourself a favour, find out what sort of neck you want and order it exactly like that!
[/quote]

Indeed! I've been trawling through the big thread and can now see on those showroom piccys that the standard neck is far too thin and slim for me.
Only one way to avoid disappointment...

I had a Geddy Lee-type of neck and now I own a jake.

The differences:
Nut width; Geddy 38mm, Jake 40mm (like my 70's reissue Precision)
Radius; Fretboard jake is more flat than Geddy
Neck; Jake is deeper front tot back than the toothpick Geddy. But not as thick as my Precision's.

I hope this helps

[quote name='OmeDunk' timestamp='1491131884' post='3270678']
I had a Geddy Lee-type of neck and now I own a jake.

The differences:
Nut width; Geddy 38mm, Jake 40mm (like my 70's reissue Precision)
Radius; Fretboard jake is more flat than Geddy
Neck; Jake is deeper front tot back than the toothpick Geddy. But not as thick as my Precision's.

I hope this helps
[/quote]

Thanks for the info. I've actually just bought a used Fender Japan 70s reissue Precision from Ishibashi in Japan for a song. It ticks all my boxes and comes in at half the price all in.
Just got to wait for them to get a CITES certificate (2017 regulations and that) due to the rosewood board.
I'll hopefully have a NBD eventually and I'll give a full account of how it all went.
Hopefully.

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1490997471' post='3269816']
I made the mistake of venturing down the rabbit hole that is the Public Peace Website and have seen a couple of Jakes that I like the look of. The seemingly standard 40mm nut width is a bit thinner than I'm used to but I could get used to that as long as the depth front to back isn't too slim. American Standard-ish, or Geddy Lee-like? Any advice or experience will be greatly appreciated!
Cheeoz.
[/quote]

Don't compromise on playability.

I was the same with my first Jake. I saw something I like but the nut width was thinner than I prefer. I also prefer lacquered necks. I thought I wasn't ready to spend a lot of cash on something I had never tried before, but I thought I'd ask. It turned out that I could get the neck profile of my choosing and a lacquered neck for barely no extra cost (it was something but... it really did not amount to anything... and I think that was just the lacquer, not the neck dimensions)... So: ask.
You'll have to wait around 10 weeks... but in my opinion it's worth waiting 10 weeks and getting the neck that feels right to me.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1491138086' post='3270739']

Don't compromise on playability.

I was the same with my first Jake. I saw something I like but the nut width was thinner than I prefer. I also prefer lacquered necks. I thought I wasn't ready to spend a lot of cash on something I had never tried before, but I thought I'd ask. It turned out that I could get the neck profile of my choosing and a lacquered neck for barely no extra cost (it was something but... it really did not amount to anything... and I think that was just the lacquer, not the neck dimensions)... So: ask.
You'll have to wait around 10 weeks... but in my opinion it's worth waiting 10 weeks and getting the neck that feels right to me.
[/quote]

Thanks for the advice and I know you're right there.
I decided to go with the Fender Japan Precision (see above post) as I played one at a gig once and loved it. At half the price of a Maruszczyk I just had to go for it.
I would like a well thought out Jake in the future though. Not long til Christmas is it? 😀

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1491147044' post='3270805']
Thanks for the advice and I know you're right there.
I decided to go with the Fender Japan Precision (see above post) as I played one at a gig once and loved it. At half the price of a Maruszczyk I just had to go for it.
I would like a well thought out Jake in the future though. Not long til Christmas is it?
[/quote]

Yeah, I saw that after I posted my reply... at that price it's hard to argue! ;)
The euro-GBP exchange is not very attractive right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Buy an instrument, which meet your own requirements if you know what you needs are.

Talk to Mr. Adrian Maruszczyk he is a nice man and he will guide you.
That is the Cheapest way.
By getting it right the first time, you will not need a new bas after 6 month.

I just love my Maruszczyk Elwood and I have had for about 1,5 year know.

Best regards
Svend