Why become a member? ×

Leg Cramps?

squire5

[quote name='timhiggins' timestamp='1491124817' post='3270601']
I used to get severe leg cramps in the night which would wake me but i would be unable to move ,and although the pain would gradually subside
i would be left with some pain all the next day
I was told by my doctor at the time that it was nothing to do with my varicose veins and related problems
however after i had op to strip veins in both legs the cramps disappeared ,i am careful however not to stretch my legs on waking as
that would often bring cramps on .
[/quote]

+1 with the stretching Tim.I suppose the only saving grace is that the pain will subside eventually,and relief will come,but like yourself,I daren't stretch in bed at all.I very rarely get it in one leg only,usually come son both legs at the same time.How the hell does that work,I've often wondered.

Have been getting severe leg cramps for years. Every time I go to a particular pub it happens. Anyway I was getting some kind of alt treatment once...the one where they torture you through the soles of ur feet...and she suggested putting pressure on a pp that lies on the indentation above your top lip. According to her it releases small amounts of adrenaline that combats the cramps....I thought it sounded like bollox but I do it anyway....no idea if it works but when you are in that amount of pain you would give up your 64 PB for relief

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1491054668' post='3270200']
Mrs Painy is a pharmacy dispenser which means standing for prolonged periods on a hard floor which can often lead to these kinds of problems. In the pharmacy they provide pressure mats (like small rubber gym mats) to stand on which help prevent it.
Bananas may help as a source of potassium.
Your doctor may also be able to prescribe quinine if needed but all the above is generally good advice.
[/quote]

Quinine is bad for you; I'd avoid it unless you've been prescribed it. The FDA (in the USA) has posted advice saying it shouldn't be taken unless prescribed, and not for leg cramps. [url="https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/PostmarketDrugSafetyInformationforPatientsandProviders/ucm218202.htm"]https://www.fda.gov/...s/ucm218202.htm[/url]

Edit: UK medical/pharma people (including Mrs Painy) may disagree; I don't know. But if the official US government medicines agency says it's not a good thing to take, it's probably worth avoiding.

Edited by alyctes