Why become a member? ×

That warm valve amp sound?

Al Krow

So I think I've narrowed my shortlist to the Tech 21 Sansamp VT bass (v2) and the Xotic BB preamp to get 'that' gorgeous creamy warm valve sound, plus a bit of grit when needed, whilst playing through my trusty gigging Markbass.

Appreciate that this is a variation of discussion threads elsewhere, so I hope you will bear with me!

Do folks, who have used both, have a preference for one or the other of these well rated pedals, and if so why? Or would you recommend going with something else altogether (again - what is it about these other pedals that give them an edge)?

I used to use both together into a Markbass CMD121P! The VT as a relatively clean Ampeg sim and the BB to kick it up a gear. They are both great, but both different, and it's hard to say which you'd prefer. But they do work really well together, so perhaps get both!

If forced at gunpoint to pick one out of the two, it'd be the VT.

+1 there to the VMTD. It does sound 'tubey', but in a different way to the VT.

When playing into tubes at the point of breakup, a guitar gets a nice crunch sound, but with a bass, especially a high output one played with fingers rather than a pick, all that low end going in results in a squishy, squelchy, compressed sound. The VT replicates this very well. The VMTD leaves your low end through clean and uncompressed though and sounds like it's been blended with a guitar amp. That's how I found them anyway, and I liked them both equally for different reasons!

Cheers guys. Does the "D" in VMTD stand for "deluxe"? I'll definitely check out.

There's a great liittle YouTube clip of Ben Lemelin demonstrating his VT. Actually he does a pretty good sales pitch! Is that the "squelchy compressed sound" you were referring to DB?! If so, I'll have to admit I really like it and I'm glad you were leaning to the VT - it seems to be a little more versatile than the BB in terms of ability to get a clean valve sound, before dialing-up the character control? I guess you are saying that the VMTD will typically go cleaner still for that sweet SVT Pro valve sound? But will it compete at the other end in delivering an overdriven Ampeg angry growl?

You mentioned you used to have both the VT and the BB :) - what have you got in their place now?

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1491073620' post='3270361']
You mentioned you used to have both the VT and the BB i.e. past tense - what have you got in their place now?
[/quote]

*hand up like I'm back in school*

Oh! Oh! I know! I know!

I still have the BB; my VT suffered an early demise but I now have the VT500 amp (but the Orange Terror is my main one). The Bearfoot Blueberry and Pike Vulcan are my go-to overdrives.

There are plenty of clips out there that can express their tones better than my written words. But if you're anything like me, even if you did your research and picked just one, I bet you would always have that niggling feeling about the other and eventually end up getting it to try anyway! You can return new pedals bought online due to the distance selling rules, and if you buy used you can sell on for the same amount. You might take a small hit in postage, but you can just treat that as a rental fee!

BB pre-amp from xotic has been on my pedal board for roughly 6 or 7 years.
It's my go to, my rock I wouldn't want to go without it. Others have tried and failed to take its place.

It's simplicity is it's key(along with a great sound)

I like the sansamp stuff don't get me wrong but I find the BB to have a much more useable range of sounds and uses.

Hmmm....so the BB has been the keeper pedal (in preference to the Sansamp VT) for both you and DB. Ok that's quite a positive vote of confidence for the BB!

In terms of overdrive, distortion and fuzz, I am really focussing at the overdrive end of the spectrum with a bit of grit / distortion available at the "full on" end. I get the sense with the DHA VT2 (also a "VT" just to confuse things! :)) that this is more (or equally) pitched at the distortion / fuzz end?

The DHA goes from clean and transparent, to slight tube warmth, all the way up to fuzz. But it sounds pretty bad as a fuzz though if you ask me and is more at home as a low gain pedal.

I had one as my first ever bass pedal, loved it at the time and only got rid due to it's large size, 12v power requirements (although they can also run at 9v), and unstoppable gas to try other stuff. It could be perfect for your needs!

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' timestamp='1491229515' post='3271369']
Apologies for the hijack, but is there such a thing as a bb pre amp clone ?
[/quote]

Yes, looks like it. There's even one going in the classifieds
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/298078-xotic-bass-bb-preamp-distortion-booster-clone/

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' timestamp='1491229515' post='3271369']
Apologies for the hijack, but is there such a thing as a bb pre amp clone ?
[/quote]how accurate it is I wouldn't know https://www.zoom-na.com/sites/default/files/products/downloads/pdfs/E_B1on_B1Xon_FX-list_100.pdf

I think the key difference between the gorgeous warm tone I get from my M6 Carbine and the flatter / truer Markbass I use for gigging is down to the 1 x 12 AX7 tube preamp on the M6.

That being the case does the Xotic BB come close to the EBS ValveDrive, DHA VT2 or the Two Notes Le Bass in terms of tone? The BB is going to be the cheaper and less bulky option...

The BB doesn't sound like any of those if you ask me. Not necessarily better or worse mind, just different!

If you're looking at DHA stuff, I would just get the cheapest DHA VT1 Purist unit. I had a VT2 and tended to just use the single tube and none of the clipping or colour options. Sounds superior to the EBS I reckon, I didn't like that pedal at all.

http://www.davehallamps.co.uk/page26.html

Basically you're only going to satisfy your curiosity by trying these out. Not everybody would pick the same favourite!

Edited by dannybuoy

The Two Notes Le Bass was great for warming up your sound...and also for making it snarl and scream. I too am looking at warming up my sound and giving it just a little more bite.

Having said that, I sold mine just recently. The sound was excellent but I found the pedal too large and heavy and the power supply was an extra hassle. The pedal does a lot, but what I actually need can be found in a pedal a third of the size and would run off 9v.