Why become a member? ×

So, after 45 years!

Steve Browning

I have occasionally considered going wireless but somehow have always shied away from it so cables it is. At the same time, I am also conscious of pulling the cable out of the amp on stage.

To that end, I have always run the guitar cable up through the handle of the cab and the amp flightcase. To compensate, I have used 30' cables so I have room to move, as it were.

In the days of the big rig (the Bass 400 and a Bass 400+ run together) I bought a Y box (which had a buffer in it).

I am now using the (active) A/E and other bases in the same band and invested in a Lehle switcher which enables me to just swap and maintain the same level (I forgot to throw the active/passive switch on the amp in a rehearsal once).

As you can imagine, being obviously the tidy sort, I thought I'd get a board for it to sit on. I also added a tuner (to use up space as much as anything) and thought I'd add the Y box to use the buffer part of it.

Lawks! What a difference. Greatly increased volume and tone. Why didn't I do that years ago? I was always aware I was losing tone but just used the tone controls to get the sound I wanted and a Bass 400 puts out enough volume so you don't have to worry. I just didn't know how much.

It was rather like listening to the Banana Boat song after the guy had 'come through the window'!

If you get a chance to have a go with the smooth hound wireless system I would give it a try. I am amazed by mine and have shown it to a few people I know who are professional musicians and they have all been very impressed by it's performance.

I'm with you guys. I have a Smooth Hound too, and so all of my pedals are set to use the level from that. I bought a buffer so that when I plug in with a cable rather than the wireless it all sounds the same. Previously going into the first pedal just with a cable from the guitar sounded awful! It could be tweaked to sound great obviously, but then all my settings were messed up.

Got first world problems? Buy a buffer! :)