Why become a member? ×

Fret recrowning tool advice needed

Twincam

So I've been using a traditional file for recrowning frets. I'm pretty proficient with it. I like being able to control exactly the shape of the crown.
However I find its a bit of a pain to use on the higher frets with basses that have set or through necks, as I find the body of the instrument gets in the way.

So been looking into getting one of those recrowning tools with a pre cut profile. But there's loads of them out there. Any recommendations? Any downsides to these type of tools?

I've one of the files with the pre-shaped curved files on the sides. They're ok. I've just bought a triangular file, though as the pre-shaped one is just ok. What it lacks is giving you the ability to control where on the side of the fret that you're fileling. Or how much you're removing.

What I was expecting is the curved profile would shape the top correctly. I guess it does, after a fashion. But then it can do the top and make a mess of the sides.

I agree, I'm not really keen on the finish I get with my pre shaped one. Might just need more practice though.
Crimson Guitars has some nice tutorials on crowning and fretwork, and he recommends a file type, unsurprisingly enough, made by, er, Crimson Guitars..... :)

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1491315592' post='3272056']
I was told that it comes from Portugal or the Philippines dunno whether it is correct though
[/quote]
They claim to make a lot of it themselves. Among the gear I bought the is the bass straight-edge with notches for the frets. Man, that thing is weighty! It must be 2.5mm steel or thicker.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1491316050' post='3272060']

They claim to make a lot of it themselves. Among the gear I bought the is the bass straight-edge with notches for the frets. Man, that thing is weighty! It must be 2.5mm steel or thicker.
[/quote]

I bought a straight edge from them that wasn't straight. Sent it back got it replaced and tbh I'm not 100% about the replacement!

Other tools I've bought from them have been ok though. And have held up nicely with regular use.