Why become a member? ×

What amp heads can I use with just headphones?

sellisnba

I'm looking for a small setup for home use, I don't really like small practice amps so I'm looking for just a head at the moment. I'll get a cab at a later date.
I'm just wondering what amp head I can use with bass>Amp head<headphones and MP3. Absolute maximum budget of £250.
Any help is appreciated

Any solid state head will be perfectly happy without a speaker cabinet attached. That then leaves to just find one that you like and that has a headphone output.

What do you have currently and what do you like/dislike about it?

Basic recommendations for: Gallien-Krueger MB200, HoTone Nano Legacy Thunder Bass, TC Electronic BH250.

Edited by Jack

TBH for this use I'd just use a smart phone and the free version of Amplitude.

I use a L6 Sonic Port as my interface and it works great. With an iPhone it even imports songs from iTunes to play along with. I did buy the extra B15 amp model for about £3 too.

Or even one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vox-AP2-BS-amPlug-Headphone-Amplifiers/dp/B00NAUKJTY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491580040&sr=8-1&keywords=vox+amplug+2+bass

Only 1 sound really, but sound good.

Either a PJB Bass Buddy or the TC BG250. I have both and love them. The Bass Buddy is great for headphones and it can power a cab with its built in 10w amp. The key advantage is size because its tiny and takes up no space at all. But if you want the best of both worlds, then I'd recommend the TC BG250 in the 2x8 combo version. Cracking little amp for the money, and I have even gigged mine on acoustic gigs and full band rehearsals.