Why become a member? ×

410 cabs expensive vs/or cheaper?

SH73

Hopefully the title is not misleading again! I'm hoping to get a 410 cab one day and have been looking online for something that looks tasty and reasonable priced.
Currently I use 100w 115 Fender Rumble and I find the sound and performance satisfying.
Now, I like both barefaced and ampeg 410 but barefaced is nearly twice as expensive as the ampeg but ampeg has been around donkeys years. How do you guys choose your cab?I don't gig but from aesthetical point of view I GAS for a 410.

ok, well i would deffo buy second hand so you dont commit too much if you find it's not for you (weight is a pain) and you can pass it on for not much loss. Good Ampeg 410's can be had for between £300-400, barefaced obviously a fair bit more but are a lot lighter. I chose mine to match my head and can't afford/justify a barefaced.

If you don't gig, a 410 will rattle your windows!
I guess the Barefaced will be noticeably more efficient and waaay lighter; not heard one myself, but I'd imagine it to be a more 'modern' tone than the olderschool and heavier Ampeg.
I used to have a pair of Peavey 410T cabs and loved them with the Trace Elliot SMX 250 Watts. Got fed up of carrying them, and moved to a pair of 210s at the time with no detriment to my sound. Could still rattle fixtures and fittings!

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1491220031' post='3271264']
With only 300w the Ampeg will do the job as far as power handling is concerned. But the BF will take a lot more should you even need it to, the Ampeg won't, and it's far superior technologically.
[/quote]
never one to question the master ;) but..my Ampeg 410 HLF doesn't struggle with mt SVT-CL (I had a Warwick 410 that did)

So far I've had an Ampeg 410HE, an Epifani UL410-1 and a Bergantino AE410. I'd say that is also my order of preference about 410's.

If you can't get a good 410 get 2 210's. I've had the Ampeg 210 Classic and 2 Bergantino AE210's. Again the Bergs were the best.

If you don't gig then there is no need to upgrade your current combo. If you really have to get a better sound at home you don't have to get a big cab to get a great sound. There is a Bergantino 210 in the classifieds that would knock the spots of most others out there and any Barefaced 112 cab will also do a fantastic job.

Edited by chris_b

If you want to do it cheaply and don't mind the weight, Peavey made some nice, but heavy, 410 cabs. Look for one fitted with their better drive units (Black Widows were their premium models). I had a 2x15 with Black Widows that was wonderful, but a beast to move around.

I also bought a nice 4Ω 4x10 from these pages, but mine's an EBS.
Sounds lovely hooked up to my Radiovox.
I know later in the coming years I'll be replacing it with a 2x12 for better dispersion & easier to manage, but for now, none of that is an issue.

To answer the OP, I believe the Barefaced 4x10 has much better dispersion due to 2 of the drivers being on a LPF. It's also a better engineered cab.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1491231651' post='3271394']
Nor should it, the SVT being 300 watts. But that's about all the excursion of the Ampeg drivers will allow.
[/quote]
Now Im confused, those 300 watts are tube watts and a hell of a lot louder than any solid state amp Ive had (up to 1400 watt power amp. 800 watt SWR etc)
but thats another thread!

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1491237851' post='3271469']

Now Im confused, those 300 watts are tube watts and a hell of a lot louder than any solid state amp Ive had (up to 1400 watt power amp. 800 watt SWR etc)
[/quote]

Watts are watts no matter where they come from but they are a measure of power not volume.
It's all about perceived volume innit (basically solid state should in theory go as loud but starts to sound nasty before you get there whereas tube breakup sounds nice so you can keep pushing it - or summat like that anyway).
Anyway I think 8x10s look much prettier.

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1491237851' post='3271469']
[/quote]

It's simple enough Steve, you'll be pushing those valves into distortion and loving the sound. Your old solid state amps would sound really horrible pushed so hard so you turned them down to stop the distortion. You're pushing the valve amp harder is all, so the average power may be higher even if the peaks are not as big. I've heard your band remember ;)