Why become a member? ×

Aguilar Tone Hammer or AG700

amesbury

I used to have an AG500 & now have a TH500.... I miss the mid controls on the 500 & the 'magic buttons' (deep & bright)

...Thinking that the 700 will be similar to the old 500 but with more headroom...

The reason I got rid of my AG500sc is because I kept tripping it out when running at 4 ohms... The protection circuit was way too trigger happy.... couldn't resolve it, so moved to the TH500... A nice amp..... with the 'Aguilar' tone but not quite as warm as the AG in my opinion.

Still at over a grand, not sure if I will go for the 700!...

If Aguilar made lightweight SL 2x10's ...I reckon 2 of them with an AG700 head could be my dream rig......very portable... & a choice of 1 or 2 cabs for different venues sizes.

[i]T[/i]he new SL 4x10 looks good but again, VERY pricey.... I can't really justify spending almost 2 & a half grand on a rig, for the level of gigs I do, when it isn't absolutely perfect for my needs...

I am a big fan of Aguilar though..... :)

Edited by bottomfeed

I have only watched demos of the AG700 in use and while this is no way to really decide on whether or not to purchase it, I wasn't blown away.

As an avid fan of the Tonehammer 500, I have been so impressed with its versatility and sound.

I received the best compliment last night for my tone as being [b]thick. [/b]Put a big smile on my face[b] :)[/b]

[quote name='pendingrequests' timestamp='1491817988' post='3275518']
As an avid fan of the Tonehammer 500, I have been so impressed with its versatility and sound.
I received the best compliment last night for my tone as being [b]thick. [/b]Put a big smile on my face[b] :)[/b]
[/quote]

I haven't seen many reviews that have called the TH500 versatile. Mostly the opposite.

I have one and another as a backup so I'm sold on the sound of the TH500, but I also want to know about the potential improvements that the AG700 brings over the AG500 and maybe even the TH500.

I'm still interested in this amp but the price, which seems to be pitched somewhere north of £1K, is a show stopper for me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I had the tone hammer 500 and Ag500sc. Good amps. I prefer the Ag500sc, more punchy and clear, maybe more loud but less portable. 

Today arrived an AG700. I tasted in my home and sounds really good, you can obtain a wide range of options, clear sound similar to tecamp puma, add gain and sound similar to tone hammer or mesa d800... I like it. The deep and bright buttons are useful, 4 possibilities: your sound, " " plus bright, ""  plus deep, " " plus bright and deep. Thanks. 

I think the size can be less as negative. 

Edited by Radchenko