Why become a member? ×

The GK RB vs MB Fusion debate, again

foxyFuze

Firstly, I’m aware that this has been discussed ad nauseam in other threads, which is leading to my indecision and option paralysis.
I have a Barefaced BB2 (8 Ohm). Venues will be the usual smallish to medium pub /club places and ski resort open-air setup, which gives you an idea of the music played (80’s onwards rock and pop stuff for drunken ski bunny dancing etc). I’m therefore looking at GK amps.
My only real source of comparison aside from the useful commentary on BC is the GK videos and Thomman.de soundclips. The RB series do sound (very) slightly preferable to the Fusion in my opinion, but I am sceptical as to the validity of these clips for serious comparison.
So…
Are the RB series worth the extra weight for an amateur like me? I have seen an ex-demo RB1001 which seems like a good deal. The concept then would be keep my micro amp for practice.
Should I be going for the larger wattage bearing in mind it’s an 8 Ohm, not 4 Ohm cab i.e MB 800 Fusion or 1001 RB2?
I’m happy to pay a bit more and avoid faffing with wanting something different after a year.

I’m sensing the answers will tend towards: BB2 loud enough anyway, higher wattage not that noticeable, go for a Fusion 500.
and…
stop being lazy and get PMT to order both in for trials 😊

I went from a RB700 to an MB Fusion to a Fusion 550. Al great amps. I like the Fusion 550 the best but my back often wonders why I didn't just stick with the MB - not quite as much depth to the tone but still plenty to work with.

Where are you? You're welcome to try it if you're near Harrogate.

I have gone from a MB Fusion 500 to an RB700 and I much prefer the RB. My cabs are BB2'sand I play similar music to you by the looks of it.
There was a period when I owned both at the same time so could try both at gigs at the same time - the RB always won in my ears.
The RB sounds warmer and fatter imho. There's plenty of volume and bass available on the MB but it can't do the fat thing as well as the RB. And it doesn't have the bowel moving slam of the RB either. You can always hear the MB but you can't always feel it......

Edited by Mudpup

Really helpful, thanks guys for the more recent posts. Confirms what I've seen about some folk having to crank the 1001 to get the very best out of it.
I guess the 700 would be a better option even going through an 8 Ohm cab.