Why become a member? ×

Marshall 412 gas

28mistertee

So I'm finding myself going full circle and craving for the cab I started gigging with which was a Marshall VBC412.
Yes it's big, heavy and awkward but i haven't owned anything since that sounded as good plus I have a van now and helpful bandmates.
Can someone help me scratch this itch? 😉

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1491311563' post='3272020']
Yes, willing bandmates and van equals purchase and enjoy. Great cabs, I loved mine.
[/quote]
Me too Lozz, regretted selling it every day. Haven't yet found anything lighter that sounds as good.

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1491320633' post='3272096']
Especially when paired up with a VBA400, had the opportunity to play through a few of those on shared bills back in the day. Wonderful.

Glad I didn't have to shift it though.
[/quote]
That's the biggest problem, I'm half wondering if a couple of 8ohm 212s will do the same job.

I answered your PM but have picked you up wrong. I thought you had a 4x12 cab and looking to change to Orange rig.
If you have the transport and willing bandmates then go for what your gut tells you and not what your head thinks would be better option. :)

4x12 is a nice balance between 10" and 15" speakers and should give an even balanced overall tone i would think. Not tried one since having the full Marshall stack in late 70's. It sounded ok back then but weight for a 9.5 stone 18yr old was a bit harsh. :lol:

Maybe try some 410 cabs as having recently tried the Markbass 410 lightweight with a Precision Deluxe was nice low and rounded bottom end with very clear upper range.
I have the Markbass 12" combo and ext cab and they sound good in band mix but the 410 i tried was deeper cab and a lot deeper than my combo and cab.
Then there's the Ampeg 410HLF that you can pick up at good price 2nd hand.
There's an Aguilar 410 for sale on Gumtree at moment i think at a very reasonable price. Saw it last night.

At the end of the day if your gut feeling and heart says Marshall then i think its best to go with what you really want as you will always be thinking " what if". if you don't.

Best tone i've tried recently was an old vintage Orange tube bass head with Hartke 8x10 cab using Fender Jazz bass and it was so sweet sounding but talking daft money for head these days even 2nd hand.

All the very best with it.
Dave

No problem Dave, I've replied to your pm.
Problem I've found that trying one setup in a garage or studio is one thing and getting it on stage with the band is a different matter. The Marshall just did it for me in a live scenario and I haven't rivalled that as of yet with anything ive tried. I'm quite interested in the Aggie stuff, I haven't seen many 412s for sale but I'll look at that 410 thanks. 😊
Fretmeister 2x 412s???? I couldn't begin to imagine how that would sound. 😉

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1491397935' post='3272704']
Yup.

1 powered with a Hartke HA3500, and the other with an old red front Ashdown MAG400.
I bet that rig sounded incredible stacked, I couldn't imagine a vbc 412 at chest height. 🙉

It was amazing! Scared a few landlords too!! :D
[/quote]

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1491397935' post='3272704']
Yup.

1 powered with a Hartke HA3500, and the other with an old red front Ashdown MAG400.

It was amazing! Scared a few landlords too!! :D
[/quote]

Brain damage stack. Had one years ago with a Marshall bass head and changed the head for a Peavey MkIV.
Loud.

Dave

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1491473115' post='3273267']
Not a VBC, or even a Marshall actually, but I have a guitar 4x12 with bass drivers in it. The VBC is probably a better bass cab than mine, but I do love the tight lows and thick, punching mid-range of the sealed 4x12. I'm sure I could carefully equalise my ported cabs to sound the same (although I'd need a 4x12 for comparison anyway!), and gain better dispersion, lighter weight, smaller footprint, deeper lows if I needed them, etc, but there is nothing quite like plugging in and standing in front of that big, black lump of Rock'n'Roll goodness. It's done well with soul and funk bands too; It's a great sound which I use wherever practical, which can depend on the room and instrumentation as much as the material.

Sometimes the 'best' cab isn't the technically superior one. I love the limitations of the 4x12- it's a direct route to a certain sound and look which can be perfect for the job, and is an ideal foil for the pair of little yellow 1x12's which constitute my 'sensible' rig!

It hasn't escaped my notice that the Markbass 1x12's side-by-side fit very nicely under the 4x12, too. I've got the two amps and the crossover and the distortion boxes... I'm just looking for my chance to hook it all up in public! ☺
[/quote]
A 612??? Be sure to post some pictures and sound clips 😉

When I had my VBC412 both the guitarists in the band also used 412s. We weren`t particularly loud, as our drummer, though fast, wasn`t a heavy hitter, but the fullness of the sound was great. We split for a while, then reformed with more practical gear, but we never sounded as good, no matter how well we played.

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1491578143' post='3274123']

Oh... [i]Go on then[/i]!

[attachment=242533:17842213_10154591181704366_1965154934_n.jpg]

500 watts of smooth lows through the Markbasses and 150's worth of grit and clang through the top, no doubt with a distortion box or two lined up! All I need now is to start the band, write half an hour's worth of material, record a demo, get a gig, lug the lot to the venue, and I'm good to go! :lol:

I need to replace the pop-out casters and make a proper 'brace' to go between the cabs, probably to both hold the wheels and make sure the bottom cabs can't slide apart sideways.

Sound clips might not be so easy to do, but I do kind of have plans for this rig as a part of a pet project; you know- as and when!
[/quote]
Wow, you won't get that in a fiesta 😉