Why become a member? ×

Options to repair/disguise chip on headstock.

scoot

I should have done it myself but due to time constraints from family and work commitments I trusted my recently acquired Maruszcsyk to a locally "reccomended" luthier to fit a set of ultralite tuners. (Didn't realise the body would be so light otherwise I would have specified the Hipshots from the outset).
Anyway, when he removed the end ferrule it pulled out a chip of the wood, which he immediately glued back in place but see the picture below for the result :(
To be fair, the guy was distraught but now whenever I look at the bass, all I see is that damage!
It is purely cosmetic, still plays beautifully but I would like to ask if anyone here has any suggestions as to what options there might be to repair or at least disguise the damage.....
Thanks in advance....

[attachment=242300:IMG_20170404_163637054.jpg] [attachment=242301:IMG_20170404_163659144.jpg]

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1491327774' post='3272179']
You paid the Luthier to carry out the work to a pro standard, he screwed up, he should bring it back to as new. Looks like he did not use Titebond glue, as that dries clear. How he brings it back to as new is not your/our concern.......he's the pro?
[/quote]

Having one experience of his work is enough for me!

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1491335329' post='3272270']
As you asked him to fit new tuners i suspect you're not that confident doing any work yourself. So you can either take it to someone competent and get him to pay for it, or get a new neck from Poland. How on earth did he do the damage ?
[/quote]my guess is he bashed the old ferul out with a flat blade screwdriver and dug in to the wood from behind can't really see how else you could f*** it up like that hope he did not charge you for the job only real fix is a strip and refin or bodge and live with it I would refin as it would annoy me to much

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1491336257' post='3272279']
my guess is he bashed the old ferul out with a flat blade screwdriver and dug in to the wood from behind can't really see how else you could f*** it up like that hope he did not charge you for the job only real fix is a strip and refin or bodge and live with it I would refin as it would annoy me to much
[/quote]
He mentioned it was really tight and he used a drift. I think he was quite aware that there was no way I was parting with any cash.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1491335493' post='3272272']
I don't suppose you like matching headstocks do you?
[/quote]
Could live with that I suppose, any recommendations.... Oh hang on!! <_<

To be honest if it was in there really tight that could of happened to anyone! Such is the nature of wood. Although maybe he could of been gentler?
I mean even the very best luthiers come across bits of would that split or do other funny things when working them.

But indeed it is his job to put it right. And although it will never be 100% his glue job looks rough.

Options are asking him to re do it. Or paying someone to try sort it out. Doesn't Andyjr1515 of this forum do refinishing? You could always his opinion.

Edited by Twincam

[quote name='scoot' timestamp='1491338704' post='3272309']
Could live with that I suppose, any recommendations.... Oh hang on!! <_<
[/quote]
In terms of headstock refinish, it's a case of either painting it, putting the decals on it and then clearing it to match the body - OR you could put a thing wood laminate over, decal it and finish it - the result would be it would look like it did before. The laminate can be so thin that only the most eagle of eyes would spot it.

You'd have to speak to [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Maruszcsyk to see if you could get hold of the decals... or if you could send the neck back to them to do the laminate and/or finish. If the value of the bass is important to you, [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Maruszcsyk is the way to go. If it isn't, there's plenty of skilled luthiers who could do the job - and even get some repo decals if you can't get hold of the originals.[/font][/color]

Thanks guys, some food for thought there, I'm pretty sure its a keeper so I'll check out[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] Andyjr1515 and also look through the luthiers thread on here....(which is what I should have done in the first place doh!!)[/font][/color]

If they are tight then he should have placed a suitable spacer around the metal to support the wood to prevent just such a thing. It is poor workmanship and he should be prepared to properly correct it at his expense. If he had pre warned you there was an issue that could result in damage and asked if you wished to proceed then it would be different.

• 1 month later...