Why become a member? ×

Inbound. First Rickenbacker!

Studio GC

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1491412543' post='3272862']

Do you mean you added the cap in or took it out? For me the cap mod is taking the cap out on a 4001, although I guess if you've got a Ric without a cap then the opposite is true. :D In my experience the results vary massively and I've tried it on lots on Rics. My Fireglo 72 still has the cap in, but taking it out hardly makes any difference at all; I suspect it's probably goosed. On my Azure 72 it makes much more of a difference. The biggest difference was on a '76 I had, that was night and day. It went from sounding like a banjo to sounding like a bass. Of course YMMV and the results will depend on playing style, amplification etc., as well as differences in the bass itself.
[/quote]

Erm, on a 4001 it is taking it out. I can't bypass what's not there!

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1491414185' post='3272890']
Erm, on a 4001 it is taking it out. I can't bypass what's not there!
[/quote]

That depends whether it had already been taken out when you got it. I've had a couple that have had the caps already removed, and you can always put one back in (which I have, temporarily), although technically that would be a reverse cap mod. ;) Just wanted to be certain.

FWIW, with the exception of my Fireglo 72, which as I said doesn't really sound noticeably different either way, I've always much preferred cap out.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1491482499' post='3273392']
Well, then I wouldn't have modded it, I'd have restored it. As I said in my post, it was a cap mod.
Other people do know stuff, you know ;)
[/quote]

Indeed! they take caps out for starters. ;)

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1491679594' post='3274779']
" 'E were a great bassist were our dad".........
[/quote]

"E'd lug 'is own gear to the gig on t' bus, nip back for everyone else's, including t' drummer, play a 14 hour set non stop, note perfect, load out on 'is own while everyone else went t' bar, and still 'ave time for us lot"

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1491680229' post='3274790']

"E'd lug 'is own gear to the gig on t' bus, nip back for everyone else's, including t' drummer, play a 14 hour set non stop, note perfect, load out on 'is own while everyone else went t' bar, and still 'ave time for us lot"
[/quote]

You were lucky - we ended up livin' in a cardboard Ricky box in't middle o't road!