Why become a member? ×

Inbound. First Rickenbacker!

Studio GC

Looking forward to hearing how my a Ric will sound with my band (Carnabyarmy.com).

I have a P bass (MIM Classic 50's P) that works great, but I worked out a deal with a company that ships internationally from the States and couldn't resist.

Can't wait to see if I jive with the Ric!

Without the usual Ric bashing (I've read all those posts....), how do you owners of the 4003s feel about your basses?

[attachment=242309:cl4run6v4se2bhndez7v.png]

Edited by Studio GC

Well I for one loved my old 4003, gutted when I had to sell it. I'd love another one, but I don't see that happening for some time (or a lottery win!). So I'll stick with my Faker for now.

I do wish my old one had the Vintage push/pull pots, but it pre-dated that feature by a few years. Other than that, it was just a superb bass. IMO of course.

Of course, they aren't for everyone, but give it a bit of time and play it often.

Congrats on your purchase, and pics when it lands!

Edited by Skybone

My 4003s is my first and only Ric. I'd tried one before, many years ago at a show and it was truly awful to play. I tried this one just to ensure I had the same opinion or if things had changed. From the moment I plugged it in, I knew I needed that tone in my life and it played really nicely too (so things were way better). For me, the pickup cover had to go and I had to cover the gaping hole it left, so I bought a bezel; sorted. For me, it's a bass that makes a huge visual statement, especially the fireglo (which I also have), with a big sound to back it up. I don't think it's a million miles from a P bass sound-wise, with both pickups. The soloed bridge offers a more middle centric tone with a volume hike, which needs taming so as not to stick out of the mix too much. I found the knurled, mute screws dug in my hand so I removed them; far more comfy. Having the unbound body is a plus for me, no overly sore forearm from the edge digging in, although I still do find it fairly hard on the arm because of the flat top. A great choice of bass IMO, but of course I'd say that ;)

Edited by ezbass

Had my 2010 4003 for about 4 years now, I don't use it that often on gigs, mainly as it's in good nick and I usually play in confined spaces. I love the sound and the look, not the most ergonomic of basses but not as bad as some people make out, horses for courses I guess. Hope you gel with yours!

How did you work the deal out, did you factor in the costs when it comes into the UK?
Mine had the best neck of any bass I've owned... and the worst body! I couldn't stand the binding biting me. I've thought about an S and hopefully you'll not have the same problem. My conversation to Spectors solved all my issues, but I do miss that wonderful neck.

I think Rics are like Harleys, either you get them or you don't. Sometimes it's not all about the speed, brakes and handling, but the journey and the noise!

I think you've got the best model in the best colour, I hope you enjoy it!

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1491370505' post='3272400']
How did you work the deal out, did you factor in the costs when it comes into the UK?
Mine had the best neck of any bass I've owned... and the worst body! I couldn't stand the binding biting me. I've thought about an S and hopefully you'll not have the same problem. My conversation to Spectors solved all my issues, but I do miss that wonderful neck.

I think Rics are like Harleys, either you get them or you don't. Sometimes it's not all about the speed, brakes and handling, but the journey and the noise!

I think you've got the best model in the best colour, I hope you enjoy it!
[/quote]

I worked the deal through a seller on Reverb.com.

I contacted him before negotiating the price to see about importing. I will leave it at; he was helpful in ensuring I paid the minimum of importation duties. After I factored in VAT and shipping ($140.00) I made an offer on the bass which came to a very good deal. I wanted to be sure I could at least break even here if I didn't bond with the bass and needed to sell it.

I'm going into the Ric blind, but looking forward to seeing if the marriage will work for the long haul!

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1491339579' post='3272318']
My 4003s is my first and only Ric. I'd tried one before, many years ago at a show and it was truly awful to play. I tried this one just to ensure I had the same opinion or if things had changed. From the moment I plugged it in, I knew I needed that tone in my life and it played really nicely too (so things were way better). For me, the pickup cover had to go and I had to cover the gaping hole it left, so I bought a bezel; sorted. For me, it's a bass that makes a huge visual statement, especially the fireglo (which I also have), with a big sound to back it up. I don't think it's a million miles from a P bass sound-wise, with both pickups. The soloed bridge offers a more middle centric tone with a volume hike, which needs taming so as not to stick out of the mix too much. I found the knurled, mute screws dug in my hand so I removed them; far more comfy. Having the unbound body is a plus for me, no overly sore forearm from the edge digging in, although I still do find it fairly hard on the arm because of the flat top. A great choice of bass IMO, but of course I'd say that ;)
[/quote]

Thanks for the response.

I'm not sure about the pick up cover. It doesn't bother me on my Rockinbetter, but agree it will probably go if I bond with the bass and it's a keeper. I'll then buy a bezel cover for it.

Also, the binding on my Rockinbetter never bothered me, so that wasn't much of a criteria for the "s" model 4003. Mostly it came down to price as well as the dot inlays on the fretboard which I prefer.

I come from many years playing guitar, so I tend to play more of a "out front" bass style, so I'm hoping the Ric helps with my style in the mix.

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1491340037' post='3272324']
Had my 2010 4003 for about 4 years now, I don't use it that often on gigs, mainly as it's in good nick and I usually play in confined spaces. I love the sound and the look, not the most ergonomic of basses but not as bad as some people make out, horses for courses I guess. Hope you gel with yours!
[/quote]

My gigs are are a step down from Wembley as well. Yes, tight, smokey pubs usually. If I bond with the bass and it becomes my main tool of the trade I'll accept a few bumps and bruises. I don't abuse my basses, but I also don't fret too much if I catch an edge on a cymbal etc. I'll make sure it's a keeper before committing it as my gigging bass.

I'm assuming I'll be fine with the ergonomics since my Rockinbetter bass is plenty comfy for me (binding and all).

[quote name='Studio GC' timestamp='1491374242' post='3272423']

I come from many years playing guitar, so I tend to play more of a "out front" bass style, so I'm hoping the Ric helps with my style in the mix.
[/quote]The tone from the bridge p/up is certainly a more mid-centric sound than the combined one and if you're just using that pickup, the jump in output won't matter and it should be more prominent mix-wise. I mainly use the combined and occasionally the bridge soloed, which is why I need to control the the change in volume. I've never used a bass (or guitar) with such an unbalanced output from the two pickups but, having spoken with other users, this appears to be the standard Ric set up. They certainly are different from others in many ways, but it's that difference that makes them so endearing to those who like them.

I had a 4003 several years back, as I always liked the look & sound of a Rick (nothing quite like it)
As others have said, they aren't usually the most comfortable of basses to play - but you have to just persist for a while, in getting used to the shape. For me, a wristband, just above my right wrist helped to protect my right forearm against the hard biding edge on the body (not a problem for everyone, and only really affected me when in short sleeves).

Mine was in near mint condition, and I used to worry about it getting bumped or knocked (on its' debut gig, our singer tripped on a lead, which pulled a cymbal & stand onto it... though there was no visible damage at that time). So I only rarely gigged it, and then sold it, when I got my Shaftesbury faker. I'm glad you've decided not to worry too much about yours getting knocks / scrapes - it's by far the best way to be (I still don't know why I was so precious about mine?)

I still really like the sound of a Rick, there really is nothing quite like one IMO. EDIT: Though again, for me, I had to get used to the controls to get the sound I wanted - but I feel there's good scope for different sounds on a Rick. I was a huge fan of Paul Grey's sound (ex Damned / HotRods) - listen to some of his bass on The Damned's "The Black Album" for some great Rick tone...

Moreoever, happy NBD for when it arrives :)

Edited by Marc S

I have the opposite problem to most; I find a bound 4001/4003 is one of the few basses that is still comfortable for me (I have various physical issues), but I have been playing them for 37 years. I find them far more comfortable than Fender, Music Man etc etc. Every person is different so what's comfortable for one, or even many, doesn't mean it's comfortable for everyone. In fact I had to sell on a wonderful 4004 because the more contoured body caused me issues, although I'm hoping to give one another chance soon with fingers firmly crossed.

With regards to any pickup balance issues, I use early 70s 4001 basses and the treble pickup has a pretty low output, even after doing the cap mod. In fact Chris Squire originally had his famous bass, originally mono, wired stereo so that he could get the level of his treble pickup up to the volume of the neck one. But again, depending on your playing style, amplification, sonic preferences etc, any differences may or may not be an issue for you. And of course you can always raise/lower the pickup or even turn the individual volume up/down. One thing I find with Rics is that people often don't make use of the controls; there are a plethora of sounds to be had between the two volumes and two tones, for instance Paul Grey (The Damned) used to back his neck pickup off a little bit to open up the mids, something I do too on occasion.

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1491395100' post='3272669']
I have the opposite problem to most; I find a bound 4001/4003 is one of the few basses that is still comfortable for me (I have various physical issues), but I have been playing them for 37 years. I find them far more comfortable than Fender, Music Man etc etc. Every person is different so what's comfortable for one, or even many, doesn't mean it's comfortable for everyone. In fact I had to sell on a wonderful 4004 because the more contoured body caused me issues, although I'm hoping to give one another chance soon with fingers firmly crossed.

With regards to any pickup balance issues, I use early 70s 4001 basses and the treble pickup has a pretty low output, even after doing the cap mod. In fact Chris Squire originally had his famous bass, originally mono, wired stereo so that he could get the level of his treble pickup up to the volume of the neck one. But again, depending on your playing style, amplification, sonic preferences etc, any differences may or may not be an issue for you. And of course you can always raise/lower the pickup or even turn the individual volume up/down. One thing I find with Rics is that people often don't make use of the controls; there are a plethora of sounds to be had between the two volumes and two tones, for instance Paul Grey (The Damned) used to back his neck pickup off a little bit to open up the mids, something I do too on occasion.
[/quote]

I know you've told us many times before but it still baffles me, what can a rounded edge body actually do to you?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1491403219' post='3272758']
I know you've told us many times before but it still baffles me, what can a rounded edge body actually do to you?
[/quote]

At the risk of boring everyone senseless, I have numerous prolapsed discs throughout my spine, some quite severe, and cervical spondylosis and scoliosis. In addition I suffer with hypermobile joints which sublux (partially dislocate), often many times a day. In simple terms, due to a combination of both (and some other factors, including a degree of RSI from years of computer work), I have problems with the nerves in my arms, legs, torso etc. These are exacerbated by certain movements, resting angles, etc etc. I've actually lost a fair degree of facility in my hands due to this, and my right hand basically feels like I've got a glove on, 24/7.

One of the issues on a more rounded bass is that if you take a given flat surface (e.g. side of body of 4001) and round off the edges you end up with a much narrower contact area, and the placement and angle of that narrower surface on my forearm aggravates the nerve pain there, which seems to be why a 4004 causes me far more issues than a 4001. The same happens with forearm contours, a la Fender, or more rounded body shapes, e.g. Ibanez SR, which place my arm in a position that sets my nerve pain off. A Jazz is absolute hell for me, but the worst is a typical (non-archtop) Status, because of the height and placement of the upper bout combined with the severe cutaway for the forearm. For those who say float your arm, don't rest it, I can't, because of the joint and nerve problems. I have to rest it, or it's even worse. What I do a lot of the time on a 4001/3 is rest my arm on the flat side of the body, which seems to be wide enough that it doesn't aggravate the pain to any real degree. If you look at a Ric, the highest point of the rear upper bout is also far back compared to most basses, and the region where the upper bout on most basses is at its highest is actually quite short on a Ric. That just seems to work for me as it accommodates my arm placement in a way that most basses don't. Also, and rather bafflingly, even if I rest my arm on the edge of the binding it doesn't have the same effect that a rounded edge does. I've no idea why; maybe the surface area is simply so small that it doesn't aggravate the nerves in the same area, or maybe that's nonsense!

I've seen several doctors, consultants etc. over the years, and they're not prepared to do anything because the risk with my neck alone would be too great given my issues, and there are too many other factors involved (shoulder joint issues etc.) which may hinder any possible success. In fact at one point I was passed from pillar to post over whether the main culprit was my neck or my shoulders. They also don't seem particularly concerned about my issues; I was asked by one consultant, who I paid for privately, what I was doing there as I seemed to be walking around just fine. That was money well spent. :rolleyes: The really hilarious part was him telling me there was nothing wrong with me, me telling him [i]exactly[/i] what was wrong with me, him sending me for an MRI that "wouldn't show anything" and said MRI backing up exactly what [i]I'd[/i] told [i]him[/i].

Ce'st la vie; it just means there are very few basses I can play now. Given that my first bass was a Ric 4001 and I've been playing them fairly consistently since 1980, I do also wonder if I've kind of moulded to them. Billy Sheehan once said the same about a P Bass shape, hence his Yam being fairly close.

I hope I've not bored everyone too much, but you did ask. :lol:

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1491388178' post='3272582']
Enjoy, I hope you don't fall into the old trap that many of us did, of lusting after one and then finding out after sometime it's not for you.
Beautiful basses that can put out a wide range of sounds.
[/quote]

Yep, that's why I negotiated a good deal for it (even considering custom's fees and shipping) I should easily recoup my investment if I don't dig it.

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1491395100' post='3272669']

[/quote]

As far as comfort goes, I find my Rockinbetter very comfortable...and that has binding (no rounded contour like the 4003s), but then again as a guitarist I loved Les Paul's and didn't mind the edges on those or my acoustic guitar when did unplugged gigs, not sure why people find Rickenbacker's shape uncomfortable?

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1491408996' post='3272822'] I did the cap mod on my 4001 and it was awful. Both pups became hugely unbalanced and the tone a dull thud. Changed back pretty quick [/quote]

Do you mean you added the cap in or took it out? For me the cap mod is taking the cap out on a 4001, although I guess if you've got a Ric without a cap then the opposite is true. :D In my experience the results vary massively and I've tried it on lots on Rics. My Fireglo 72 still has the cap in, but taking it out hardly makes any difference at all; I suspect it's probably goosed. On my Azure 72 it makes much more of a difference. The biggest difference was on a '76 I had, that was night and day. It went from sounding like a banjo to sounding like a bass. Of course YMMV and the results will depend on playing style, amplification etc., as well as differences in the bass itself.

[quote name='Studio GC' timestamp='1491412143' post='3272857'] As far as comfort goes, I find my Rockinbetter very comfortable...and that has binding (no rounded contour like the 4003s), but then again as a guitarist I loved Les Paul's and didn't mind the edges on those or my acoustic guitar when did unplugged gigs, not sure why people find Rickenbacker's shape uncomfortable? [/quote]

Yeah, same here. I find LPs extremely comfortable (except those with the really deep vintage carve where there's a noticeable raised edge around the guitar, like an Edwards Jimmy Page I had - that was agony), but struggle with Strats. I guess I'm in a minority there too. :lol:

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1491411914' post='3272852']

At the risk of boring everyone senseless, I have numerous prolapsed discs throughout my spine, some quite severe, and cervical spondylosis and scoliosis. In addition I suffer with hypermobile joints which sublux (partially dislocate), often many times a day. In simple terms, due to a combination of both (and some other factors, including a degree of RSI from years of computer work), I have problems with the nerves in my arms, legs, torso etc. These are exacerbated by certain movements, resting angles, etc etc. I've actually lost a fair degree of facility in my hands due to this, and my right hand basically feels like I've got a glove on, 24/7.

One of the issues on a more rounded bass is that if you take a given flat surface (e.g. side of body of 4001) and round off the edges you end up with a much narrower contact area, and the placement and angle of that narrower surface on my forearm aggravates the nerve pain there, which seems to be why a 4004 causes me far more issues than a 4001. The same happens with forearm contours, a la Fender, or more rounded body shapes, e.g. Ibanez SR, which place my arm in a position that sets my nerve pain off. A Jazz is absolute hell for me, but the worst is a typical (non-archtop) Status, because of the height and placement of the upper bout combined with the severe cutaway for the forearm. For those who say float your arm, don't rest it, I can't, because of the joint and nerve problems. I have to rest it, or it's even worse. What I do a lot of the time on a 4001/3 is rest my arm on the flat side of the body, which seems to be wide enough that it doesn't aggravate the pain to any real degree. If you look at a Ric, the highest point of the rear upper bout is also far back compared to most basses, and the region where the upper bout on most basses is at its highest is actually quite short on a Ric. That just seems to work for me as it accommodates my arm placement in a way that most basses don't. Also, and rather bafflingly, even if I rest my arm on the edge of the binding it doesn't have the same effect that a rounded edge does. I've no idea why; maybe the surface area is simply so small that it doesn't aggravate the nerves in the same area, or maybe that's nonsense!

I've seen several doctors, consultants etc. over the years, and they're not prepared to do anything because the risk with my neck alone would be too great given my issues, and there are too many other factors involved (shoulder joint issues etc.) which may hinder any possible success. In fact at one point I was passed from pillar to post over whether the main culprit was my neck or my shoulders. They also don't seem particularly concerned about my issues; I was asked by one consultant, who I paid for privately, what I was doing there as I seemed to be walking around just fine. That was money well spent. :rolleyes: The really hilarious part was him telling me there was nothing wrong with me, me telling him [i]exactly[/i] what was wrong with me, him sending me for an MRI that "wouldn't show anything" and said MRI backing up exactly what [i]I'd[/i] told [i]him[/i].

Ce'st la vie; it just means there are very few basses I can play now. Given that my first bass was a Ric 4001 and I've been playing them fairly consistently since 1980, I do also wonder if I've kind of moulded to them. Billy Sheehan once said the same about a P Bass shape, hence his Yam being fairly close.

I hope I've not bored everyone too much, but you did ask. :lol:
[/quote]

I appreciate the time taken to reply :)