Why become a member? ×

Hiwatt maxwatt b100 amp crackle

Bought a used maxwatt hiwatt b100 15" combo the other day. Good sound, interesting EQ, but theres a crackle when played, like a rustle. Seems to increase when strings are played harder. Seems like a capacitor issue as ive had something similar on a preamp. Im guessing it may be an output cap. Any way of checking with a multimeter?

I've had this in a bass amp before, and it turned out to be one of the larger resistors in the power stage which was standing off the pcb unsupported. What happens is the vibration eventually caused an annular fracture on the solder around the leg, sometimes causing a rustling sound.
I'd recommend looking at the solder joints on the larger components and just reflowing them, and then supporting them if they aren't already using silicone sealant to stop the vibration, or at least raising the resonant frequency much higher.
Many manufacturers use hot glue, I prefer silicone sealant as it has better adhesion and much higher temperature handling. It just takes longer to cure, probably why it isn't as widely used in mass manufacture.