Why become a member? ×

Pedaltrain Nano plus - a couple of quick questions

Osiris

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]A recent amp acquisition has seen the need to put together a small pedalboard, nothing sexy, just a tuner, compressor, a channel footswitch plus a power supply.
The Pedaltrain Nano plus look like it'll be perfect but there seems to be a bit of a discrepancy in the dimensions quoted online.
I've seen the width quoted online as both 5 and 5.5 inches. Might not seem much of a difference, but measuring up mu old Boss TU-2 with the right angled power cable feeding into it, it needs at least 135 mm to give enough clearance so that the power cable isn't overhanging the board and likely to get damaged. 5 inches is about 127 mm which isn't quite enough, but 5.5. inches is about 140 mm which is perfect. Anyone got a Nano plus to hand that they can measure, please?

Also, I have a Fuel tank junior power supply, looking online a few people have mounted them under the boards, the only mod being required is a bit more clearance courtesy of some deeper rubber feet. Anyone done it? What feet did you use? How did you attach the Fuel tank junior to the underside of the board? [/font][/size]

I was in your boat a year ago. A straight-plug daisy chain cable does protrude enough from a Boss pedal that I disconnect it when I put the board in the soft-case. A right angled one is safe enough though. Unlike the bigger boards, the Nano+ isn't sloped and although there is some room underneath, once you have cables routed it may well be too tight for a PSU. I've found a Nano+ fed my pedal GAS though. I thought I just needed a TU3, some delay and a compressor. But then a Phase 90 fell my way and now I have to choose between a Muff and a Pike Vulcan and quite fancy a Mel9. I'm going to need a bigger board soon. Might be worth allowing a little more space than you think you need immediately.

Edited by radiophonic

[quote name='radiophonic' timestamp='1491396339' post='3272685']
I was in your boat a year ago. A straight-plug daisy chain cable does protrude enough from a Boss pedal that I disconnect it when I put the board in the soft-case. A right angled one is safe enough though. Unlike the bigger boards, the Nano+ isn't sloped and although there is some room underneath, once you have cables routed it may well be too tight for a PSU. I've found a Nano+ fed my pedal GAS though. I thought I just needed a TU3, some delay and a compressor. But then a Phase 90 fell my way and now I have to choose between a Muff and a Pike Vulcan and quite fancy a Mel9. I'm going to need a bigger board soon. Might be worth allowing a little more space than you think you need immediately.
[/quote]

Cheers, the nano plus sounds promising. If you get a chance, do you mind measuring the width anyway, please? :)
Yes, I'd got it in mind that it might be difficult to mount the power supply underneath so I've also allowed room for it up top too, to be safe.

Re pedal gas, I've been playing for more than 30 years now and have dabbled with effects on and off but I find that I prefer not to use them as such other than a bit of subtle drive and compression. But I'm not against them at all, I have a Zoom B3 that I use in the house for messing about with and have great fun with it, its just that I prefer to keep things simple when gigging.

[quote name='jrixn1' timestamp='1491429577' post='3273061']
I don't have a Nano+, but if it helps, I do have a Nano, which is very slightly under 5.5" deep.

Width is 14" so a bit less than the Nano+.

[/quote]

Thanks, John, I appreciate it!

[quote name='Osiris' timestamp='1491405984' post='3272798']
Cheers, the nano plus sounds promising. If you get a chance, do you mind measuring the width anyway, please? :)
Yes, I'd got it in mind that it might be difficult to mount the power supply underneath so I've also allowed room for it up top too, to be safe.

Re pedal gas, I've been playing for more than 30 years now and have dabbled with effects on and off but I find that I prefer not to use them as such other than a bit of subtle drive and compression. But I'm not against them at all, I have a Zoom B3 that I use in the house for messing about with and have great fun with it, its just that I prefer to keep things simple when gigging.
[/quote]

I've been playing since 1984 and I'd only ever had a Boss compressor pedal until about two years ago and I didn't even like that (not remotely transparent). I'd just not been prepared for how much better pedals are now. Decent PSUs, true bypass and vastly improved buffering have been game changers. No more tone suck, no more battery fail! I'll give the Nano+ a measure tonight.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1491461445' post='3273131']
Btw, if you get a Cioks DC5 (Hotrox stock them), that's the only power supply I know that will fit under a Nano without any mods.
[/quote]

Cheers, Danny, According to the specs online the Cioks is 31 mm deep whereas my fuel tank junior measures in at a whopping 35 mm so it's a lot cheaper just to go with some deeper rubber feet for a couple of quid from B&Q - assuming that they simply screw on, that is. And the board will still fit in the bag with deeper feet.

With the set up I have in mind (the Boss tuner plus 2 mini sized pedals) the nano plus also has enough room for the fuel tank junior to be mounted on top too. Having said that, I like the idea of the smaller Nano board with the FTJ underneath. I'll do some digging to see which options are viable.

[quote name='radiophonic' timestamp='1491461720' post='3273132']
I've been playing since 1984 and I'd only ever had a Boss compressor pedal until about two years ago and I didn't even like that (not remotely transparent). I'd just not been prepared for how much better pedals are now. Decent PSUs, true bypass and vastly improved buffering have been game changers. No more tone suck, no more battery fail! I'll give the Nano+ a measure tonight.
[/quote]

Was the Boss a CS-3 by any chance? I had one of those years ago and you're right, it was a real tone and dynamics killer, not even over the top compression, just a total strangle hold over your sound. Needless to say it didn't last long. I've got an old battered up Boss LMB-3 limiter which is a surprisingly good compressor. I prefer the TC Electronics Spectracomp these days, it's tiny, simple to use and with the TonePrints and the TonePrint editor app you have all the control you need and can make it sound exactly how you want it to.

Edited by Osiris

I have a Nano+. 5" x 17 3/4" x 1 1/2" (incl feet).

I use the Pedaltrain Volto rechargeable power supply. It fits under the board with Velcro.

I currently have five pedals on it, 3 x EBS, EH Bass Soulfood and Korg tuner. I used to have 2 Boss pedals (replaced by Korg and EH) on there. They'll fit fine.

[quote name='Zummerbass' timestamp='1491504510' post='3273619']
I have a Nano+. 5" x 17 3/4" x 1 1/2" (incl feet).

I use the Pedaltrain Volto rechargeable power supply. It fits under the board with Velcro.

I currently have five pedals on it, 3 x EBS, EH Bass Soulfood and Korg tuner. I used to have 2 Boss pedals (replaced by Korg and EH) on there. They'll fit fine.
[/quote][size=4][quote name='M@23' timestamp='1491514568' post='3273713'][/size]
I don't have either anymore, but did have a Fueltank Jr velcro'd to the bottom of a Nano+, without modification.
[/quote]

Thanks guys, the nano+ with the fuel tank either on top or underneath sounds like the way to go.