Why become a member? ×

Solid states with headphone jacks?

Westenra

So due to a change of living circumstances - lovely new builds with their rubbish sound proofing, I'm looking into the possibility of an amp with a headphone jack so I can play whenever. Ideally a SWR redhead would be perfect but they don't come up often second hand. Other than that not really interested in combos as I love my BF compact too much and when I get the chance I'd rather hear the amp through that.

Was looking at the TC RH450 simply because it's got a jack, tuner and compressor all in one. Any other amps worth checking out?

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1491405025' post='3272782']
Have you considered getting a Zoom B1on pedal in the interim? It's what I use for home practice, they're quite cheap and would give you time to try out as many heads as you want before taking the plunge.
[/quote]

Have used my housemates headphone amp pedal for a bit and just missed the voice of an amp. Currently using an Ashdown LB30 which is a lovely tone.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1491414594' post='3272892']
Any amp with a DI into a cheap mixing desk will do you. Means you can easily mix in your computer/phone etc to play along with too. And the extra EQ is nice to have also.
[/quote]

This. Not all amps have a headphone output, but a DI is present on almost all. You can even play with the pre/post EQ button, it gets you two sounds.

Tone Hammers don't come with a headphone output BTW.

Edited by Treb

I recently bought a pair of these and absolutely love 'em 😁.

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/vox-amphones-bass-guitar-monitoring-headphones?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&gclid=COrNjJegjtMCFQ4R0wodV3MHVw

Plug your MP3 player into the the aux socket and away you go. Perfect for learning new material for my new covers band without annoying the neighbours (or the wife).

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1491414594' post='3272892']
Any amp with a DI into a cheap mixing desk will do you. Means you can easily mix in your computer/phone etc to play along with too. And the extra EQ is nice to have also.
[/quote]

I've got a focusrite interface but it needs to be plugged into the computer which is pretty useless for those spares minutes where I just want to switch the amp on, pick my bass up and away I go. Do mixers require the same setup or can they be ran independent of a computer?

[quote name='Deedee' timestamp='1491427615' post='3273038']
I recently bought a pair of these and absolutely love 'em 😁.

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/vox-amphones-bass-guitar-monitoring-headphones?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&gclid=COrNjJegjtMCFQ4R0wodV3MHVw

Plug your MP3 player into the the aux socket and away you go. Perfect for learning new material for my new covers band without annoying the neighbours (or the wife).
[/quote]

They look super interesting but sadly they won't do when I want to actually play through my cab! Looking to keep my tone constant, yes I'm one of those perfect tone hunters, guilty as charged :(

Edited by Westenra