Why become a member? ×

Please recommend a decent leather-free strap

FinnDave

I really need to get some new straps. I use the standard ones that Fender bundle with their basses for my Fenders, but they are a little short and slippy for my Epiphone Casady bass. The strap should be able to accept Dunlop strap locks, as most of my basses have them fitted, and must be leather-free. Preferably more than the standard two inches wide, three would be better.

Spent some time googling but haven't seen anything suitable yet, so hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Cheers!

I use DiMarzio 3" straps although you need to use their ends.. http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/DiMarzio-ClipLock-3-Wide-Nylon-Quick-Release-Black-Guitar-Strap/1C39?origin=product-ads&gclid=CjwKEAjw8ZzHBRCUwrrV59XinXUSJADSTE5k0nUhRDHE-84J4ZXL2oAgVW2dUvcGkkWGya3M_TNLLhoCLr3w_wcB

Edited by markstuk

They look interesting, but I don't think the ends would work on my Casady bass, do the short sections of strap sty with the bass? If so, that won't work as the strap button is on the heel of the neck, so the strap would probably damage the back of the bass in the case.

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1491552491' post='3273835']
I use DiMarzio 3" straps although you need to use their ends.. [url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/DiMarzio-ClipLock-3-Wide-Nylon-Quick-Release-Black-Guitar-Strap/1C39?origin=product-ads&gclid=CjwKEAjw8ZzHBRCUwrrV59XinXUSJADSTE5k0nUhRDHE-84J4ZXL2oAgVW2dUvcGkkWGya3M_TNLLhoCLr3w_wcB"]http://www.gear4musi...TNLLhoCLr3w_wcB[/url]
[/quote]

Just noticed you're in Banbury, I'm coming up there today, anywhere sell guitar straps in town?

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1491553757' post='3273858']
No just one man band. You might want to drive one more junction on the m40 and go to bass direct
[/quote]

Not a bad idea, but looking at the map, it's nearly double the distance, and I'm going to Banbury (Cropredy, actually) as I'm taking my wife to lunch, not sure a diversion to a bass shop would be that welcome! I'll try suggesting it.....

[quote name='The59Sound' timestamp='1491554127' post='3273861']
Neotech Mega straps are really good.
[/quote]

They look good, just checked the manufacturer's site, unfortunately the end pieces are leather, which I am anxious to avoid.

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1491553757' post='3273858']
No just one man band. You might want to drive one more junction on the m40 and go to bass direct
[/quote]

Bass Direct do have suitable straps in stock...and only half an hour further on up the road (good song, that!), so hopefully I can fit in a trip there before lunch! Good tip!

The power of Bass chat! Took a 30 min each way 'diversion', popped into Bass Direct, bought a Mono 'Betty' (long) strap, drooled over basses I had never heard of and couldn't begin to afford, then bought the wife lunch in Cropredy. Very successful day out, much of which wouldn't have happened without the input received here!

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1491581792' post='3274145']
Mono.. the whole range is animal-free. :-)
I have a few Betty padded straps now; some have experienced some buckle slippage, but I've not found it problematic.
Very comfortable!
[/quote]

Yep, that's exactly what I bought today, hopefully without the optional buckle slippage. I'll gig it tomorrow and add a bit of velcro if it turns out I bought the optional extra by mistake! I'll be using it with my Epiphone Jack Casady, since I bought it I haven't played any of my Fenders!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using Couch vinyl straps for years - I've got a few of them now and really like them. I don't use the recycled seatbelt ones though because they're too slippery.
[url="https://www.couchguitarstraps.com/"]https://www.couchguitarstraps.com/[/url]

Edit: I just measured mine (strap) and it's only two inches wide.

Edited by inthedoghouse

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1492362940' post='3279697']
They look interesting, do you have to order direct from the States though?
[/quote]Unfortunately you have to order directly. Sometimes I've been taxed for import and sometimes I haven't. They occasionally come up on eBay, but not very often.

[quote name='inthedoghouse' timestamp='1492363410' post='3279701']
Unfortunately you have to order directly. Sometimes I've been taxed for import and sometimes I haven't. They occasionally come up on eBay, but not very often.
[/quote]

Thanks, I'll get in touch with them when I need another strap. The Mono strap I bought last week from Bass Direct is working out fine, third gig for it tonight.