Why become a member? ×

Respected players using "clickbait" on Youtube.

arthurhenry

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1491924909' post='3276536']

See, for me that's not clickbait.

'Clickbait', as I understand it, is about enticing people to click on stuff for the sake of generating advertising venue (from click-through fees).

What you've pointed to here is a free tutorial, made available by Scott, which is actually useful. That's not clickbait. Sure, Scott runs a business and he'd love us all to be subscribers to his commercial service. And this video is designed as a taster for that. But it's not clickbait in the true sense of the word. It's just a snappily written video title. Better that than "Practice lick #142" or whatever the alternatives might be ;)
[/quote]

This. 100%

The content provided for free by Scott (and no doubt the other guy too) is excellent. Can't rely understand how anyone can complain about it!

Clickbait for me is things like 'how to lose a stone in a week guaranteed' or 'see Kylie minogue naked'. I've clicked on both and they weren't what they said they were!

[quote name='Elfrasho' timestamp='1491928412' post='3276578']Can't rely understand how anyone can complain about it![/quote]

[quote name='arthurhenry']Please note: I am not criticising or complaining, just stating my personal reaction[/quote]

Balance restored :)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1491924909' post='3276536']
See, for me that's not clickbait.

'Clickbait', as I understand it, is about enticing people to click on stuff for the sake of generating advertising venue (from click-through fees).

[/quote]

It seems that I have a different view of what constitutes clickbait in this context - as I see it, videos with titles like 'The ONE scale that you need to know' or '5 EPIC practice hacks' are all about enticing as many views as possible by using a carefully selected style of language to appeal to the broadest audience possible. To me, at least, that seems like clickbait.

Please note that none of my comments are intended to pass judgement on the [b]content [/b]of that video or any other - Scott has done an [i]incredible[/i] amount for the bass community both in terms of the academy and all the free content that he produces. Ditto for Janek.

[quote name='TKenrick' timestamp='1491933651' post='3276630']

It seems that I have a different view of what constitutes clickbait in this context - as I see it, videos with titles like 'The ONE scale that you need to know' or '5 EPIC practice hacks' are all about enticing as many views as possible by using a carefully selected style of language to appeal to the broadest audience possible. To me, at least, that seems like clickbait.

Please note that none of my comments are intended to pass judgement on the [b]content [/b]of that video or any other - Scott has done an [i]incredible[/i] amount for the bass community both in terms of the academy and all the free content that he produces. Ditto for Janek.
[/quote]

Maybe.

It depends what the content of "The ONE scale that you need to know." is. If it's just a C major scale, then there's hundreds of videos on C major scales, everyone knows what a major scale is, it doesn't add anything to your knowledge and is simply recycling well known information in a different package designed to draw people into whatever you are selling. Usually within 10 seconds you realise it's a waste of time watching any further and start looking at something else that grabs your attention.

Scott's videos are really good. I subscribe to his channel and they're always interesting and hold my attention.

I think they're fully aware that if you start producing full fledged clickbait you'll lose subscribers very quickly.

There's a fine balance.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1491979594' post='3276835']
I sometimes wonder at how our language and the way we use it has been modified by I.T.
[/quote]

You wouldn't believe how shocked you will be when you find out the secret.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1491983620' post='3276872']
[/quote]

:lol:

Eventually we'll develop an immunity to this sort of tone-of-voice, forcing advertisers will have to find another way to get our attention. And so it goes on...

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1491983620' post='3276872']
[/quote]

Hahahahaha. I was writing aircraft manuals to SGML standard in the nineties. You must think I came down with the last shower. I'll bite anyway, tell us;

What do you think the big secret is?

My guess would be that the entire world is in fact run by Tescos and that Walmart is a subsidiary of theirs. Commerce drives everything.

PS; I spotted what you did there but it might have been better if you'd hypertext linked it to askmyarse dot co dot uk.

Edited by SpondonBassed

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1492016099' post='3277245']
Scott Devine got me playing bass again after losing my enthusiasm for a good number of years. I preferred the old videos where he got straight to the point. I've no interest in seeing him in an apartment in New York or walking around.
[/quote]

I'd always thought his target demographic were more descerning but now he's a 'youtube vlogger', and that's what they do. Be thankfull he's not showing us vlogs of his dinner, or worse, boring drone vids :rolleyes:

You can't blame him for trying to maximise his earning potential. I understand that many guys on this forum feel that its vulgar to earn money from music but Scott has to pay the gas bill the same as the rest of us.

Edited by mentalextra

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1492016099' post='3277245']
Scott Devine got me playing bass again after losing my enthusiasm for a good number of years. I preferred the old videos where he got straight to the point. I've no interest in seeing him in an apartment in New York or walking around.
[/quote]

The videos are a lot more polished now and I find them easy to watch. In one of his videos he talks about talent and shows some of his original video clips. Which are basically a web cam in his bedroom.

Really, there are thousands of bedroom cam players and if you're going to get your video noticed above them you have to step out of the bedroom and engage your audience.

We consume with our eyes and the presentation of the video is key.

There's a balancw to be struck somewhere between a dodgy web cam bedroom player uming and ahing through a video, and someone talking a full camera unit to their Yoga session.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1491910273' post='3276342']There are far worse perpetrators to be found. Some of our most-read news sources being prime culprits.[/quote]

Agreed - Reuters sticking ads in amongst the news stories although I heard recently that there's going to be a clampdown though how that's policed is anyone's guess.

I find all this fascinating - as one of the older net users, I've seen quite a bit from the early days of bulletin boards and now I'm almost sidelined even though I'm still in the industry. Moves too fast, I keep up for the things I have to (html / css / photoshop) but I'll never be a snapchatter. And when I say that, I know snapchat will be seen as yesterday's chip paper to the yoof. Hell I don't even do Facebook.

I too think the 'clickbait' thing isn't clickbait (and I guess the OP covers that by using quotes). When bulk email goes out, clever companies run AB testing on subject lines to see which ones are the most opened. Scott's SEO bod is just writing subject lines with a hook.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1492074364' post='3277636']

The videos are a lot more polished now and I find them easy to watch. In one of his videos he talks about talent and shows some of his original video clips. Which are basically a web cam in his bedroom.

Really, there are thousands of bedroom cam players and if you're going to get your video noticed above them you have to step out of the bedroom and engage your audience.

We consume with our eyes and the presentation of the video is key.

There's a balancw to be struck somewhere between a dodgy web cam bedroom player uming and ahing through a video, and someone talking a full camera unit to their Yoga session.
[/quote]

I wasn't having a go at him. I just preferred the old style. Times change and even Scott himself has redone an old video.

I owe him a huge debt of gratitude for digging me out of a slump. West Yorkshire boy too so bonus points!

I've reached peak Scott!

No offense to him, he's got to do what he had got to do. He has to compete to get sign ups and judging by the growth of SBL he's very successful.

I'm a member on SBL, i love it and would recommend it. It's just that Scott being ubiquitous on every site i visit is putting me off listening to the paid videos on SBL. I'm kind of getting sick of the sound of his voice.

It's my own fault for being too keen (and signing up for competitions) and subscribing to email, you tube feeds, Facebook, podcasts, you name it. I need to spend some time cleaning up my online subscriptions so the only place i find Scott is on SBL!

[quote name='MisterT' timestamp='1492079768' post='3277728']
I too think the 'clickbait' thing isn't clickbait (and I guess the OP covers that by using quotes). When bulk email goes out, clever companies run AB testing on subject lines to see which ones are the most opened. Scott's SEO bod is just writing subject lines with a hook.
[/quote]

Not sure now whether I've woken up in an angling or an I.T. forum. Shouldn't have had that last wine gum.

I am in my Saturday morning hungover intolerant phase. :)

I have been a subscriber to SBL for a few years and have got great value from my subscription. I think Scott is a great player and educator and would recommend him to anyone wanting to learn bass. He did a great set of lessons on how to read charts which I have watched repeatedly. I think I just need to unsubscribe from his YouTube channel and stay within the refined walls of SBL where his persona is very different.

[quote name='JohnR' timestamp='1492247606' post='3278920']
I am in my Saturday morning hungover intolerant phase. :)

I have been a subscriber to SBL for a few years and have got great value from my subscription. I think Scott is a great player and educator and would recommend him to anyone wanting to learn bass. He did a great set of lessons on how to read charts which I have watched repeatedly. I think I just need to unsubscribe from his YouTube channel and stay within the refined walls of SBL where his persona is very different.
[/quote]

Me too, see my post above.

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1491643885' post='3274488']
I'm sometimes surprised by Scott Devine and Janek Gwizdala's use of "clickbait" in their video titles. Both are highly knowledgable, articulate, talented people with much to offer bass students, but this seems at odds with the rather cheap methods they employ to attract attention to their videos. I realise they are business men with a product to promote in a competitive market place, but it feels a bit cringeworthy and populist. Some examples:

Devine:
Ultimate hack for learning and using the modes (does he mean "method"?)
How to play bass fast. 5 ultimate tips
Master the entire fingerboard with these 5 simple shapes

Gwizdala:
A street dog that will melt your heart
Practicing (sic) with the TV on. Good or bad?
Taking divorce one day at a time (A video with much useful info about bass and music and a brief, sensitive discussion about the end of Janek's relationship - why did he give it this title?)

Gwizdala also seems particularly fond of filming himself constructing and even shopping for, flat-pack furniture.

Please note: I am not criticising or complaining, just stating my personal reaction and hopefully prompting some discussion. It doesn't really matter anyway!
[/quote]

Yaneks posts are mostly bass related but rem its vlog, so it follows him on what he does during the day. i dnt wanna see him practice everyday

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1492251306' post='3278952']
There is some Partridge-esque product placement in this one at 0.46 and 3.27. Cringeworthy.

What it means to be a solo artist in 2017 - Vlog #134 Apr 12th 2017 - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9lz60db-cU&t=509s
[/quote]

I think it's unfair to Scott Devine to list his videos with Janek. Janek's videos are just unwatchable.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1492285367' post='3279258']
I don't agree Janek's vids are unwatchable, even in the mundane ones there's still often a lot of useful and inspirational content, even if it isn't just bass related, work ethic, nutrition and exercise comes across too.
[/quote]

Well yes, I was a bit absolute there. I guess it depends what you are looking for from the vids. So more correctly I just can't watch enough of them to get something useful out of it for me. YMMV etc.

• 3 weeks later...