Why become a member? ×

Synth Bass

NoirBass

Been hankering for a Moog synth ever since I sold my Moog Bass Murf & LPF (now those 2 with an octave & you have some fantastic synth bass right from your bass guitar).
I've kinda subdued it a bit by having a NI S88 & using Monark, which is a great VST version of the Phatty.

Now though, I've been watching more Roli videos & hankering for a Rise 49. Great for synth bass & replacing the real bass too!

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1497854486' post='3320812']
Now though, I've been watching more Roli videos & hankering for a Rise 49. Great for synth bass & replacing the real bass too!
[/quote]

Been looking at the blocks 25 as a replacement for my artiphon. First time I tried the rise I wasn't impressed, but spent some time with it in PMT Bristol a few months ago and it was really good. Very expensive though so I suspect I will never get one!

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1497858864' post='3320837']
Been looking at the blocks 25 as a replacement for my artiphon. First time I tried the rise I wasn't impressed, but spent some time with it in PMT Bristol a few months ago and it was really good. Very expensive though so I suspect I will never get one!
[/quote]
I was going to get a Rise about 1 1/2 years ago, but ended up getting a Native Instruments S88.
The S88 is a great keyboard, but sometimes I regret not going for the Rise.

Although I find the Rise fascinating, and would love to own one, I question whether it would be good as an only or even main keyboard. It is fantastically expressive, and I found it totally absorbing, but it is also a weird thing to play and most keyboard work is probably easier on fixed keys without that expression.

As a second keyboard though, it would be excelent

+1 on the Roli boards be a fascinating experience. Who knows, with some good old fashioned practice I'm sure one could become comfortable enough with it for use as a main gigging board. For me though, the price is seriously prohibitive. £599 for the 25 key version and that's just a controller - no internal sounds (!!) All the way up to around £2500 for the Grand. Which, by the way, isn't even "grand" technically speaking as it only has 61 keys. At least it actually produces its own noise though. Can you tell I won't be buying one? :lol:

There are some videos of virtuoso players getting incredible things out of them - Cory Henry being an example. Worth a watch!

I played the 49 key one in PMT. I am not a virtuoso player but I got something out of it that was different to any other keyboard I have played that was worth having in 5 minutes playing it. That would be the perfect one for me.

It doesn't have sounds but it does have a synth engine for a laptop. which is pretty good.

However, yes, the price is very over the top (but understandable considering what it is). On ebay, 500 or less I would get a 49, other than that it wouldn't happen!

I've also got a Roland SH-32 vintage synth unit which I can play with my Roland PK-5A pedals; it's got loads of sounds and a really good Tom Sawyer patch.

The Minitaur does "Clocks" OK [url="https://youtu.be/z5eEXbGUPCk"]https://youtu.be/z5eEXbGUPCk[/url]; with the PK-5A you can set the "Mono" to one octave and the "Poly" to another, so flipping octaves is easy.

In fact, you can set the "mono" to one MIDI channel and the "Poly" to another and so switch between synths with one button.

Edited by prowla

• 2 weeks later...

Still scouring the 'bay for a BS2 deal...started veering towards an Ultranova and still tossing up between the two. Trouble is, there aren't all that many demos online of the Ultra's bass capabilities vs the BS2! Not making the decision any easier.

[quote name='prowla' timestamp='1497908846' post='3321311']
I've also got a Roland SH-32 vintage synth unit which I can play with my Roland PK-5A pedals; it's got loads of sounds and a really good Tom Sawyer patch.

The Minitaur does "Clocks" OK [url="https://youtu.be/z5eEXbGUPCk"]https://youtu.be/z5eEXbGUPCk[/url]; with the PK-5A you can set the "Mono" to one octave and the "Poly" to another, so flipping octaves is easy.

In fact, you can set the "mono" to one MIDI channel and the "Poly" to another and so switch between synths with one button.
[/quote]I've got a Minitaur, I'd be really interested in a pic of yours with your Clocks patch.
I've still got my SH-32 as well. Roland made a gem with that one.

Edited by spectoremg

• 1 month later...

Clocks is just the Taurus preset sound.

On my PK-5A pedals, I set the "Mono" to the lower octave and the "Poly" to the higher one; then it's just a matter of playing the notes like they do in the video ("Poly", 1st two notes, "Mono", next three notes, "Poly", first two notes of the next phrase, and so-on); I only figured the main riff and not the backing to the guitar bit (I think it's just an "E", but am not sure).

[quote name='prowla' timestamp='1502716692' post='3353046']
Clocks is just the Taurus preset sound.

On my PK-5A pedals, I set the "Mono" to the lower octave and the "Poly" to the higher one; then it's just a matter of playing the notes like they do in the video ("Poly", 1st two notes, "Mono", next three notes, "Poly", first two notes of the next phrase, and so-on); I only figured the main riff and not the backing to the guitar bit (I think it's just an "E", but am not sure).
[/quote]There is a bit more going on in the guitar bit between the E and B IIRC. Since John Hackett stopped touring with Steve the keyboard player's covered that part.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1497602225' post='3319346']
Space being at a premium for many bass players, my former firm KeyShyyyk invented woolen guernseys with a keyboard pattern knitted in on the front and MIDI wiring or similar coming out at the back.

Great gear for live situations, but many punters sadly thought it was just show, and that we had a backing tape. :(

We had two models:
- with resistance threads woven in: the WoolKiey,
- with physical pressure points behind the wool: the KeyBacka.

:mellow:
[/quote]
[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1497602880' post='3319357']
Please tell me you have photos?

On the subject of the SY300 - I loosely considered it, watched a few demos, sounded good. Until I saw the price tag and realised I could buy at least 2 small keyboard synths with the money it costs.
[/quote]

Sorry, CameronJ, for not having responded. I simply forgot.
Sadly it was just a joke. If one knows one's Star Wars, then the words KeyShyyyk, WoolKiey and KeyBacka might easily be associated with those films.

That said, it was only partly a joke.
My wife and I did start developing these products, but as my day job took precedence, the plans went into a drawer somewhere, and then the eighties suddenly were completely invaded and overrun by the nineties.

I finished one product though, but that was during the seventies: a huge rig, hung above the stage, roughly shaped like a piano keyboard and with lights inside. So what I played on one of my keyboards was made visible by the lamps behind the glass: white for the white keys and red for the black keys.
Luvverly, and I was a prog maestro in my own mind! :D

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1502732062' post='3353188']
There is a bit more going on in the guitar bit between the E and B IIRC. Since John Hackett stopped touring with Steve the keyboard player's covered that part.
[/quote]
Yes, I'm sure there is - maybe some octaves; I'll have to work that bit out too... someday...