Why become a member? ×

NBD - six strings with bottom F#. How do you mute a 6 string?

Owen

Some of you may remember when this bass came up for sale here. It had no bridge. I thought that I would smack another 6 string bridge on it and I would be good to go. I had not realised that the well in the body was for a specific Overwater bridge which is no longer made. I could have splatted another bridge over the well but that would have been messy. I got into discussion with Chris at Overwater and decided to send it up to them to get it done properly. The baseplate of the bridge then came out of hiding and we were moving ahead. It is strung GDAEBF#. It has a D tuner on the F# to take it to E an octave below normal E. The scale is 36" so it is ripe for F# experimentation. I have always wanted to try F# but never had a scale length which I thought would do it justice. Now I have. The bass is from the early 90's and is certainly aesthetically of it's period. It is pretty beefy to pick up, but it sounds pretty beefy as well so that is fine. I will never be cavorting accross a stage while playing it. The extra string is somewhat challenging at the moment, but then the first 5 string took some getting used to as well so I shall persevere. The original preamp was dead so it has a new 2 band Overwater one in it. I am having a lot of fun. I played it at a wedding service today. Other than starting the first song a 4th too low it went ok.

[url="http://s8.photobucket.com/user/peredur/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20170408_145803_zpsrfmg6ilq.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s8.photobucket.com/user/peredur/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20170408_145814_zpsjht2d6iq.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by owen

Nice. I have considered changing my 6-string to F#, too, but not done anything about it at all....more toyed with the idea of toying with the idea of possibly considering changing to F# rather than actually considered it.

Let us know how you get on. The bass looks lush.

I have tried to F# before but forgot to sort the nut out and could not work out why the string would not speak when it was open and was sharp at the 1st and 2nd frets. Just as well I am not stupid enough to admit that on a public forum.

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1491690721' post='3274867']
I tried your Shuker F# in a bass bash many years ago. I mentally logged "one day". String spacing is 18mm.
[/quote]

Ahhh he he he!!! the 7er strikes again! :) The reason I'd asked about the string spacing was that there had been an Overwater for sale on here with a 36" scale but with a more 16mm spacing (which my Shuker has). I really like the feel especially on a wider neck. It suits really fast playing or when I switch to a pick.

Great looking bass there Owen!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1491751826' post='3275154']
I really like the feel especially on a wider neck.

It suits really fast playing or when I switch to a pick.
[/quote]

The neck is so wide that there is talk of it being the next Heathrow runway.

I cannot comment on the speed thing because I have no experience of it.

Well, I have used it twice in anger now. Overwater make a lovely instrument, but I cannot deny that the F# is freaking me out. I am actually having to think while I play, and I do not like that one bit. It is like having to jump through a hoop everytime I want to do anything. I find myself with my fretting and plucking hands on different strings and my confidence on the instrument is suffering. More worryingly I did a long classical gig on the DB last Friday and was second guessing myself in pressure situations about what note I was actually playing. This does not work well in chamber music. My gut reaction is that I might shift it on, but I will give it a couple more gigs just to see. It does sound splendid though!

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1492464268' post='3280537']
So, how do you mute a 6 string? This thing speaks with the voice of thunder, but I am struggling to tame it with my puny 5 string technique :(
[/quote]

I use a mix of left and right hand muting. It's a little awkward to describe, but essentially I use a version of floating thumb with my right hand, my thumb moving down across the strings, and the fingers on my left hand that aren't fretting are muting.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1492465768' post='3280553']
I use a mix of left and right hand muting. It's a little awkward to describe, but essentially I use a version of floating thumb with my right hand, my thumb moving down across the strings, and the fingers on my left hand that aren't fretting are muting.
[/quote]

Ugh, changing right hand technique. I would have to practice and stuff. I am quite old to be doing new things. But thanks.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1492465795' post='3280554']
Beautiful bass but the way, I love Overwaters.
[/quote]

It is a monster instrument in more ways than one. But very fine indeed.

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1492466553' post='3280562']
Ugh, changing right hand technique. I would have to practice and stuff. I am quite old to be doing new things. But thanks.
[/quote]

I spent a long time playing about with this when I read an article in Bass Player magazine by Adam Nitti about it... he calls it the movable anchor. Bassically it involves moving your thumb so that it is anchored on the string below the one you are playing and using a rest stroke to sound the string.
[list]
[*]If you're playing on the A string, you anchor your right hand thumb on the E string and sound the A string by pulling your index or ring finger into your thumb.
[*]If you're playing the D string you anchor your right hand thumb on the A string.
[*]If you're playing the G string you anchor your right hand thumb on the D string.
[/list]
Here's where it gets clever... the right hand thumb will rest on all of the lower strings as well, muting them. If you're anchored on the D string, you'll be muting the E and A with the side of your thumb.
Strings higher than the one you're playing are muted with the left hand.

http://bassmusicianmagazine.com/2008/04/plucking-hand-specifics/

Thanks (and diolch) for the suggestions. I am just too old and tired to change. I have used it on two gigs now and have come to the conclusion that it is not going to happen for me. There are only so many times you can be plucking one string and fretting another on a gig before the novelty wears off.