Why become a member? ×

Effects in a rack or on the floor??

paddy mcbride

I like to have my effects in a rack so they don't get damaged on the floor. But since recording our recent EP, I now need a wah pedal and the ability to change channels during songs so I've moved all my effects back onto my pedaltrain so I don't have to run multiple cables from my rack out to a small pedal board and back again BUT i would still prefer to be able to keep everything in a rack and only have the minimum out front.

My options are: put everything back in the rack and run a cable out to the front of stage which would go into my wah then into a Boss Line selector (which would have 4 cables between the floor and the rack for the 2 loops and then one cable from the output of the line selector into the rack - a total of 6 cables which is ridiculous. So, is there a cleaner option. I've looked briefly into programmable effects controllers and these look great but if all the effects are in a rack how do I do it without multiple cables running across stage. I would like to keep the floor clear of cables, we don't stand still on stage so don't need trip hazards.

I may be overthinking it but seem to be going in circles Any advice will be welcomed.

Thank you

Paddy

Like I said in a different thread, some fx (such as dirt & modulation) are better placed directly between the bass & the amp & not in the loop.
As you have pedals, you might find the they all sound better out of the loop, but it's down to personal taste.
So you would have a cable running from bass to board (or go wireless to the board) & then a cable from board to amp. The only other cable would be to power the board.

Edited by xgsjx

Yeah, the current set up is bass into a wireless to the board then single cable to the amp. The only reason it's all on the floor now instead of in the rack is because I need a wah out front and need to change between the B7K and the VMT during a song....neither of which I needed to do before. I use the Line selector to switch between the darkglass pedals without having to press two pedals at once.....I haven't noticed any tone difference using them in individul loops. It's a tidy setup, I'd just prefer it everything was back in the rack. Like I said before, I may be overthinking it and how I currently have it, may be the best option.

I preferred the rack set up with the effects and amp together because it was easier and quicker to setup and pack up but I would have to sacrifice the switching between the two darkglass pedals....I'll need to decide in time if's its necessary live. For now, they stay on the floor board.

Thank you for all the replies