Why become a member? ×

Changed P/UP on PJ bass problem...

Basscabman

So I fitted an Entwhistle JBXN (jazz pick up) to my squier PJ and now when I turn both pick ups full on they seem to cancel each other out and sound a bit out of phase?

If I turn the J pick up full on it's perfect, full tone as well. Same with the P pickup but when I turn just one of them full on then add In the other one it's fine until the last little bit then it goes half the volume and out of phase sounding.

I soldered the new pick up wires exactly where the old ones came off!

Any Ideas chaps?

If they're out of phase then you will have to swop the wires around, however sure you are that you've soldered them correctly until your ears tell you that you've got it right.

I've done exactly the same and been sure I wired everything up as they should be. Then realised, when I plugged the bass in, that somehow I'd got it wrong. It happens, It won't take long to figure out where you went wrong.

[quote name='Basscabman' timestamp='1491780975' post='3275366']
I thought black was always earth? I'll swap em see what happens. Ta mate.
[/quote]9 times out of 10 it is but it does sound like you are out of phase I'm sure the black wire is ground on those pups though are you using a blend pot at all