Why become a member? ×

Recommended luthiers for custom bass neck?

Greg.Bassman

[color=#000000]Hi all. Hope you’re well. [/color][color=#000000]Can anybody recommend a UK luthier that is able to make me a custom neck for my Fender Jazz bass please?[/color]

[color=#000000]Basically, I need a jazz neck that has a 16” fingerboard radius, to replace the current 9.5” one that MIM fender has. [/color][color=#000000]I don’t mind spending a little extra cash, just so long as the quality of craftsmanship is all there.[/color]

[color=#000000]Cheers.[/color]

Edited by Greg.Bassman

All that might be needed is to sand the fingerboard flatter if there's enough depth to it (ie. shaped slab not veneered). If the workshop is set up, it might only take a couple of hours to defret, mount on the sanding jig, refret and dress. Minimal refinishing would be needed (which tends to be where the costs stack up). Alternatively, buy a Fender licensed neck from Allparts or Warmoth and have the board flattened. Even if there's not enough depth, it could be flat sanded or planed and a new fingerboard attached.

If your heart is set on a new neck rather than a modified fingerboard, Jon Shuker or Martin Petersen would a great choice for a well engineered neck but you'll need to specify flame or birdseye maple if you want a little growl as the rock maple Jon has is super rigid. If you want something a little more Marcus Miller then you'll be fine. Alternatively, Bravewood (if they're still taking orders) or Limelight might be a good alternative as they've got a lot of experience in preCBS Fender replicas. Expect to pay over £400 though.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1491787142' post='3275377']
All that might be needed is to sand the fingerboard flatter if there's enough depth to it (ie. shaped slab not veneered). If the workshop is set up, it might only take a couple of hours to defret, mount on the sanding jig, refret and dress. Minimal refinishing would be needed (which tends to be where the costs stack up). Alternatively, buy a Fender licensed neck from Allparts or Warmoth and have the board flattened. Even if there's not enough depth, it could be flat sanded or planed and a new fingerboard attached.

If your heart is set on a new neck rather than a modified fingerboard, Jon Shuker or Martin Petersen would a great choice for a well engineered neck but you'll need to specify flame or birdseye maple if you want a little growl as the rock maple Jon has is super rigid. If you want something a little more Marcus Miller then you'll be fine. Alternatively, Bravewood (if they're still taking orders) or Limelight might be a good alternative as they've got a lot of experience in preCBS Fender replicas. Expect to pay over £400 though.
[/quote]

Hi Kiwi. Thank you for your reply. Cool, I'll check them out!

Anybody else on basschat that can weigh in here? It's always good to have a few options to choose from. Cheers.

Edited by Kiwi

I had Jon Shuker build me a fretless neck for a Squier. It's just a simple maple neck with rosewood board, but the carbon super rods and custom dimensions make it far better than a Mexican fender neck, for the price.

He's also re-radiused basses before, so it might be worth getting a quote for that.

Edited by cgg199

[quote name='cgg199' timestamp='1491846824' post='3275847']
I had Jon Shuker build me a fretless neck for a Squier. It's just a simple maple neck with rosewood board, but the carbon super rods and custom dimensions make it far better than a Mexican fender neck, for the price.

He's also re-radiused basses before, so it might be worth getting a quote for that.
[/quote]

Hi cgg199. Very reassuring, thank you. I will certainly drop him a line sometime.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1492447557' post='3280317']
Whole list of recommended luthiers here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/26654-recommended-luthiers/"]http://basschat.co.u...ended-luthiers/[/url]

I've personally had great experiences with Terry Chapman, Alan at ACG and Andyjr1515 - pick whoever's nearest to you.
[/quote]

Brilliant. Cheers for this! :)