Why become a member? ×

4 string as 5 string

Dropzone

You may find a Yamaha BB425 to your liking. The P pickup on those is fantastic, but the neck is still really slim.

BB425 is my universal panacea at the moment. Strong B on a passive? BB425. Value for money? BB425. Premature ejaculation? BB425.

I have a few 5 ers. Ibanez K5, Warwick Streamer, Yamaha RBX775, but I am feeling the need for the precision sound. There are no precision 5ers around the market place or flea bay. I guess I want the Steve Harris sound, (but don't want the west ham sticker). I have heard the Nate Mandella signature is a very similar set up.

There shouldn't be any issue with using a BEAD tuning on a 4 string unless you plan on using monster thick B string. I know Stuart Zender tunes his precision this way, I quite fancy a Mexican 50s (big fat strong maple neck) to do this with.

As another option, the Squier PV is a great bass.

[quote name='Dropzone' timestamp='1491830355' post='3275686']
I did wonder about the truss rod, but thought the tension wouldn't be too much more. Ta
[/quote]

The tension will be a lot less. Low B strings have a significantly lower tension than the high G as any string tension chart will show you.

[quote name='Dropzone' timestamp='1491912235' post='3276367']
I may be crazy and try some flats. I have no idea what it will do, the world could explode!!!
[/quote]

Let me know before you do that so I can hold on to something.