Why become a member? ×

Adding Series/Parallel switching to 90s Streamer with Bart's a good idea?

dyerseve

So I am in the final stages of restoring an early Warwick Streamer 5 string broadneck with Bart soapbars. It is a rather lovely thing with all the goodies of 'wick of that era including a solid brass bridge which weighs about as much as the body! It also has the Bartolini soapbars which I notice look like they are split coil(is that the correct term?).
From memory they have red and white wires already joines together(not attached to any pot) and then a green wire and the shield leading to the appropriate pot.
So what I am thinking of doing is getting a couple of push/push pots to replace the original pots for the bass and treble controls so I could add series/parallel switching for each pup. I dont care about ruining the "originality" of the bass as ive just finished refinishing it and I would rather have a bass that sounds as good as possible.
So, does anyone have any experience of Bart pups of this era and particularly operating them in series/parallel mode? What does it add to the sound?

Cheers,

Chris

PS. will post some pics of the pups when I get home tonight.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1491851738' post='3275902']
Is this a passive bass?
Are you making it passive?

If not, watch for the resistance of the original pots. That might limit your options.
[/quote]

Its active. I will be changing all the pots anyway. Might also use a push push volume pot to allow active/passive switching.

[quote name='dyerseve' timestamp='1491852007' post='3275906']

Its active. I will be changing all the pots anyway. Might also use a push push volume pot to allow active/passive switching.
[/quote]
In which case you will need the pots to be the same impedance as the originals. They're likely to be 25Kohm.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi, I've not tried running Barts in parallel, but some general thoughts:

- Barts I've played have been comparatively low-output (needing the preamp for gain), and running them in parallel would decrease output vs series, though not sure how noticeable this would be, post-preamp
- to my ears, parallel wiring of humbuckers seems to reduce the amount of bass - you may get a slightly more quacky / glassy sound, vs series
- impact of switching series to parallel may bear some resemblance to the tonal change when using StringRay 5 switching...
- If you go down the route of wiring in a push/pull switch, I'd tempted to use a single switch to simultaneously affect both pickups (less complexity, unless you really want to be able to blend parallel neck vs series bridge...)

Out of ideas otherwise!
Roman

Edited by roman_sub