Why become a member? ×

New band quandary - advice sought, please...

solo4652

I joined a good function/party covers band 4 weeks ago. The keys player is a friend of mine who I played with for a couple of years. He asked me to join when their previous bassist left. I don’t know the circumstances.

Gigs are in the band diary – next one is a pub gig in 5 weeks’ time. In the last 3 weeks I’ve learned 25 new songs, and I have 5 more to go. I’ll be ready for the gig – I pride myself on doing what I say I will.

Band leader is the guitarist. Three days ago, he booked us in for a full-on pro recording session on 22[sup]nd[/sup] April. He wants to record a CD, ostensibly for “marketing”. I don’t want or need to do a studio recording session right now – I’m up to my neck learning new songs for the gig. I’ve said this to the band, but they seem set on the recording on 22[sup]nd[/sup]. There will only be 1 more rehearsal between now and then and the recording list has songs on that we’ve only played together a very few times. Those songs aren't gig -ready yet, let alone recording-ready. I’ve suggested we postpone the recording and concentrate on our first gig together. Nobody else in the band agrees to this. I’m not getting my point across.

What shall I do? I’m very much the band New Boy and I certainly don’t want to be obstructive or awkward 4 weeks in. However, neither do I want to go to a studio ill-prepared. My priority right now is learning the setlist for the gig. If the band continues to insist on the studio recording next weekend, despite me suggesting that it's postponed, I'm close to saying I won't be there.

Steve

I'd do the recording. Surely, the songs you are going to record will be well rehearsed by then? Concentrate on getting them right. You can always re-record the bass if you feel you need to. If you still feel unsure, you could always play a shorter set at the gig? Besides, 25 songs is quite a big repertoire anyway. Never mind 30!

Edited by itsmedunc

Firstly how many songs do they want to record and are they planning on doing a 'live recording' or will you be playing your parts individually?

If your looking at say 4 songs for a demo and its individual tracking, then I really cant see the issue. You can easily learn 4 songs in time and you may well have ample opportunity to do several takes of each song to get it right. If its a live situation then I do understand your trepidation.

I don't see that you have much choice, if you enjoy the band and want to continue, then explain once more to everyone why you are concerned and that with other commitments and learning their set you are not confident with the songs so they may have to give you some leeway.

I think saying you wont do it will come across that your being a bit awkward and throwing your toys out of the pram. For what its worth I don't think that, I understand completely about wanting to be fully prepared, but they might see it that way, especially if the guitarists cant play the bass lines and cover you.

I say go with it, get 100% confirmation of the tunes you are going to be recording, just rehearse those at next band practice and focus on them at home. You will still have time to prep for the gig.

If you have learnt the songs for the set ( i'm going by what you've said), i don't see how the recording will be too much of an issue for you?
As long as the songs you are set to record are out of the 25 you've learnt.
I agree with you it's not ideal, but it's a studio session so if you don't nail it first time, you can always have another go.
They know you're pretty new to the set, so i doubt they'd expect perfection 1st take.
How is it being recorded? A live take? Or drums down first and everything else on top?

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1491825142' post='3275599']...
What shall I do?...
[/quote]

Surely it's not being suggested that you (all...) record all 30 songs in one recording session..? That smacks of folly, to me. If it's simply a matter of going through two, three or five of the numbers for a 'sampler' CD, what's the harm..? Go along, record your best take and enjoy the experience; it'll be fine, I'd say. Don't over-think it, maybe..?

Clarification:

Recording will be 4 or 5 songs, all of which are on the gig setlist.
Only one more rehearsal before the recording. I don't think the recording songs will be "well-rehearsed" before the studio. There is one on there I haven't learned yet and we've only played the other three as a full band three times.
Apparently, the recording session will be instruments recorded seperately, with drummer first to a click track, then me, etc

Edited by solo4652

I'd roll with it.

If you can weather the initial storm, it might turn out to be a good band with good gigs.

Its probably too early to know if the not-getting-your-point-across thing is a cause for concern.

Ask that they fix the tracks for recording so that you can prioritise learning and rehearsing them over the next few weeks.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1491825926' post='3275610']
you'll be fine in the studio if there's a half-decent engineer. He can drop you in if you make mistakes and move the odd out of time note.
[/quote]this, you only need to do each section right once, the engineer will do the rest and sort our tiiming issues

I don't see a problem here other than your confidence is sagging a little.

The songs you're recording are also in the set? You don't need rehearsals, you need practise time.So learn those 5 till you can play them in your sleep, then focus on the rest.

You can do this. You've got nearly 2 weeks. For 5 songs? Play those 5 as many times a day as you need. When you're done with them run through the rest of the set.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1491828091' post='3275638']
A CD? Isn't that a bit 2005?
[/quote]

Yes. I don't think the band needs a CD for marketing. Much more important in my view is some half-decent real-time videos of the band playing live to an appreciative audience. However, the band still wants to do the studio recording in 10 days time. What I'm struggling with is why can't it be postponed until after the gig? The studio will still be there, the band will be much better-rehearsed, pressure will be off etc.

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1491826584' post='3275616']

Apparently, the recording session will be instruments recorded seperately, with drummer first to a click track, then me, etc
[/quote]

No problems then.
If you're confident you know the songs, doesn't really matter if you've played it as a band before or not (for this recordings sake) as you wont be playing it all together anyway.

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1491828819' post='3275660']
Steve, I do understand and agree to your points but as the new boy I think I'd just go along with it rather than make any waves.
[/quote]

Well Les, that's the pretty clear message here, isn't it! as Chris_b says, my confidence is sagging.

I've just emailed the band to say that I'm feeling a bit maxed-out learning new songs, and under-confident about the recording. They've all been in the studio a few times before, they know each other and the songs well. I don't. I've said I'll concentrate on the recording songs for now, once they can agree on which 5 we're doing... Thereafter, it will be full-on gig focus. I'm crap at multi-tasking. In fact, to me, "multi-tasking" means the opportunity to mess a number of things up at the same time.

You'll put down a guide track first that will be to a click track.

Then the drumer will play along to that, so all willl be good. You'll have a vocal track to guide you.

There will be no problem with reading off a pad as there's no audience. If you mess up, you can just re-record the part you messed up.

Relax.

Edited by TimR

The feeling I get from your initial post and your latest one is that it's not the songs that daunt you necessarily, it's the recording process.

If so, try not to worry about it. Like has been said, if you know your parts you will be okay. It doesn't need to be done in one take, either.

Also, you might be expected to play along in the control booth (or wherever) to create a guide track whilst the drums are laid down, straight into the board. This also gives you a dry run, so to speak, on the songs. Sometimes, that could even be the take!

This is a great opportunity. Don't talk yourself into defeat. [b]I know you can do this[/b]. You just have to be prepared to the hilt.

Get the list of songs, play them until the bass can do it without you and then you'll be fine. Worry about the gig later.

When recording digitally the engineer can "repair" your track until you sound like Nathan East. You can record several tracks and mix and match and bounce the best bits on to a third track. Do you have a P bass? Flats? Foam?

Make the band know they made the right choice when they picked you. [b]This is going to be good[/b].