Why become a member? ×

Fender announcement. No more rosewood 'boards.

fretmeister

[quote name='markdavid' timestamp='1492032393' post='3277421']
So does this mean more maple fretboards? I hope so, much prefer maple to rosewood
[/quote]

Doubtful. They need to ensure as close a match as possible to make is cosmetically identical as possible.

I would struggle to list which of my basses had which sort of fretboard and I can't remember a time when it mattered a damn to me. :)

I own basses with fretboards made of rosewood, ebony, maple, pau ferro, ebanol, carbon fibre, and triple-ply toilet tissue. OK, I made the last one up.

When I play my various basses with their different fretboard woods the sound is amazing ... it's always ME.

Suffice it to say that I will be losing no sleep over all this,

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1492071952' post='3277601']
I would struggle to list which of my basses had which sort of fretboard and I can't remember a time when it mattered a damn to me. :)

I own basses with fretboards made of rosewood, ebony, maple, pau ferro, ebanol, carbon fibre, and triple-ply toilet tissue. OK, I made the last one up.

When I play my various basses with their different fretboard woods the sound is amazing ... it's always ME.

Suffice it to say that I will be losing no sleep over all this,
[/quote]

True as can be, it is always in the fingers (and the toilet tissue.....)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1492071952' post='3277601']
[/quote]

I think you'll find double-ply quilted toilet tissue is the way to go. Stay well away from Izal Medicated though.

We've gone for a range of solutions for this fretboard issue.

In the short term we're putting ebony on the fretboards of the SWB basses because this gets product moving again. However Ebony is more endangered than Rosewood (Which is actually very well managed in India - and a bit of a blow to their industry - but that's another matter). So if other manufacturers make a dash for Ebony to get product moving again - I think we may well see Ebony on Appendix II before long.

We will continue to use Ebony on our high end stuff though.

So we're making more maple necks - which aren't to everybodies taste.

The other thing we're looking into is a product called Blackwood Tech. It's a resin/pine composite - much like Richlite (which is resin and paper composite). They take pine (pinus radiata) and pressurise it with stain (either brown or black) and then they pressurise it and impregnate it with resin. And then finally they compact and press it.

It can be manufactured to the hardness and characteristics of ebony or rosewood or anything inbetween. It also - unlike richlite - keeps a grain because it's still wood. It's also water resistant, doesn't warp and is flame retardant. Oh and it's 100% FSC sustainable.

We've had samples made and it's really not too bad at all. You'd think it was ebony at a glance and it sounds great.

I can post some updates on this stuff if people are at all interested.

[quote name='Chownybass' timestamp='1492762550' post='3282924']
We've gone for a range of solutions for this fretboard issue.

In the short term we're putting ebony on the fretboards of the SWB basses because this gets product moving again. However Ebony is more endangered than Rosewood (Which is actually very well managed in India - and a bit of a blow to their industry - but that's another matter). So if other manufacturers make a dash for Ebony to get product moving again - I think we may well see Ebony on Appendix II before long.

We will continue to use Ebony on our high end stuff though.

So we're making more maple necks - which aren't to everybodies taste.

The other thing we're looking into is a product called Blackwood Tech. It's a resin/pine composite - much like Richlite (which is resin and paper composite). They take pine (pinus radiata) and pressurise it with stain (either brown or black) and then they pressurise it and impregnate it with resin. And then finally they compact and press it.

It can be manufactured to the hardness and characteristics of ebony or rosewood or anything inbetween. It also - unlike richlite - keeps a grain because it's still wood. It's also water resistant, doesn't warp and is flame retardant. Oh and it's 100% FSC sustainable.

We've had samples made and it's really not too bad at all. You'd think it was ebony at a glance and it sounds great.

[/quote]
That sounds very interesting, would love to know more as you work with it.

[quote name='Chownybass' timestamp='1492762550' post='3282924']

[/quote]

That sounds really cool.

I was not so sure years ago with 'ebonol' but when I tried basses with it I stopped being worried about it. I like this.

But please stop showing those pictures on your signature... that purple bass keeps calling me :lol:
(fortunately it's shorter scale and I like maple fingerboards... but still... I love the stuff you are making :))

What happens to the instruments that are already made and in the shops or in warehouses waiting to be sent out?

I notice the Fende/Squier website is still showing many guitars and basses with rosewood fretboards. Including in their Affinity budget range. I imagine the same applies to Gibson/Epiphone and others.

[quote name='mark76' timestamp='1492771286' post='3283058']
What happens to the instruments that are already made and in the shops or in warehouses waiting to be sent out?
[/quote]

Exactly the same as ones manufactured right now. As far as I know the trade restrictions apply whether it's brand new or a vintage instrument.

If you wanted to ship them across economic borders (within the EU is fine) you would need to apply for an export license. Off the top of my head this is about £57 and takes about 15 days to apply for.

You're fine to travel with an instrument you own though. I think those are exempt.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1491961178' post='3276806']Imagine what it could do to the vintage market.....
[/quote]

Good point. If we're talking Brazilian rosewood (used on Fenders until around 1965, for example), then nothing has changed really - the stuff had already been under the more severe CITES I restrictions since 1992. And yet vintage dealers are now starting to mention the need to get CITES certification which, although already a requirement since 1992, many (if not most of them) never bothered with before.

So it looks the new general rosewood restrictions - even though they fall under the less severe CITES II - have also increasingly put the trade of vintage instruments containing Brazilian rosewood under the spotlight. How that will affect availability/demand/prices etc remains to be seen.

[quote name='Chownybass' timestamp='1492771681' post='3283066']

Exactly the same as ones manufactured right now. As far as I know the trade restrictions apply whether it's brand new or a vintage instrument.

If you wanted to ship them across economic borders (within the EU is fine) you would need to apply for an export license. Off the top of my head this is about £57 and takes about 15 days to apply for.

You're fine to travel with an instrument you own though. I think those are exempt.
[/quote]

So When a BCer from the EU mails a seller asking, "will you ship to Spain?", pre-Brexit, the easy answer is "yes". Post-Brexit, it will probably be, "no, because CITES, makes it a major PITA".

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1493018634' post='3284780']
So When a BCer from the EU mails a seller asking, "will you ship to Spain?", pre-Brexit, the easy answer is "yes". Post-Brexit, it will probably be, "no, because CITES, makes it a major PITA".
[/quote]

Yep. That's about the sum of it.

I guess also thst for Fender, shipping instruments by the container-load round the globe $60 for a CITES certificate covering 300 instruments is no big deal.

For Chowney Bass to ship 2 basses to "Music Division" (a great shop) here in Sofia, Bulgaria; it's £57 added to the shipping. Which is about 10% on the price of the bass. :(

Oh, isn't it great we're helping major industry fight off the terrible onslaught from this nasty independent enterprises. :P

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1493019994' post='3284789']
I guess also thst for Fender, shipping instruments by the container-load round the globe $60 for a CITES certificate covering 300 instruments is no big deal.
[/quote]
Does the certificate cover the whole 300 or does each bass need it's own paperwork?

Hoping that a lot of manufacturers move to Pau Ferro actually, I'm a fan of Rosewood, especially when it's a darker specimen, but actually prefer the closer grain of Pau Ferro.
How long until some obscure species of Maple causes all species to be added to the CITES list??? PANIC BUY YOUR DREAM BASS NOW!!! haha

Si

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1493033272' post='3284945']
Does the certificate cover the whole 300 or does each bass need it's own paperwork?
[/quote]

The import license is per consignment regardless of quantity.

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1493037567' post='3285022']
Hoping that a lot of manufacturers move to Pau Ferro actually
[/quote]

Unlikely to replace rosewood on more affordable instruments due to the expense of getting it to the places those are made. It's always a bit awkward to finish I think. I looked into this and dismissed it as not feasible.

The kind of brands who already use this - will still use it.

*disclaimer: I can't speak for other manufacturers. But am happy to share my experience with looking at these things.

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1491940254' post='3276694']
[color=#800000]"Deliveries into non-EU countries require a complicated and sometimes lengthy approval procedure. [b]This may delay delivery by several thomann weeks[/b] and may cause further fees in the recipient's country. Please make sure you understand the relevant rules in your country before making a purchase."[/color]

[url="https://www.thomann.de/gb/compinfo_cites.html"]https://www.thomann....info_cites.html[/url]
[/quote]

What's a "Thomann Week"? do they use a different timescale to the rest of us?