Why become a member? ×

Which pedal board and power supply?

Al Krow

So having gone from being a relative pedal virgin to the proud owner of a new Zoom B3n and an older Boss RC 30 Looper (which hasn't thus far seen much use, but hopefully that is about to change...), I can see that I am starting down a slippery pedal slope! Assuming I get a couple more pedals (e.g. a good octave pedal and a preamp to warm up the sound on my Markbass) what should I be getting in terms of a decent pedal board, soft or hard case and power supply? Something that will protect my pedals in transit and be good to use in gigs?

Apologies for this being a "rookie" question...but your thoughts and wisdom welcome!

Edited by Al Krow

I found a Pedaltrain Metro 16 with soft case to be a good size for about 4 pedals and a small power supply. The case is a decent one and its being gigged every weekend with no particular wear.

Its a bit deeper than the twin rail Pedaltrains so the top jacks get a little protection when in the case or on the floor.

I use a Diago Micropower 9 (zip tied underneath the board since the pic below) and deluxe daisy chain to power everything (VT Bass DI, Korg PitchBlack tuner, SD Doubleback compressor, Sony wireless unit and a Zoom MS60B)

[URL=http://s1271.photobucket.com/user/mudpup1/media/Guitars/0196E1F6-FE1A-4A64-9798-533757D402D4.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj640/mudpup1/Guitars/0196E1F6-FE1A-4A64-9798-533757D402D4.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

That looks good and very compact. I'm probably going to need something a little bigger as my Zoom B3n and Boss RC 30 I think are each both larger than your VT and SD pedals.

On a completely separate note what is the model of the Sony wireless unit you're using? Does that avoid you needing guitar and amp leads entirely and does it work with minimal signal delay?

If you go to the pedal train web site it has a pedalboard builder so you can judge your size required.

If you want it bombproof and don't mind the weight get one with a flight case, otherwise the soft case is fine.

Depending how big you go power wise the bigger board use a decibel11 Hotstone deluxe, good value, excellent power source.

Smaller board like a metro a Cioks DC5 fits underneath or Cioks Adam as it can link into another Cioks power supply if you want a 2 board split you can link to make one big one.

To buy room on the board use EBS flat cables

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1491851308' post='3275897']
That looks good and very compact. I'm probably going to need something a little bigger as my Zoom B3n and Boss RC 30 I think are each both larger than your VT and SD pedals.

On a completely separate note what is the model of the Sony wireless unit you're using? Does that avoid you needing guitar and amp leads entirely and does it work with minimal signal delay?
[/quote]

Its a Sony DWZ 30 or something like that. Discontinued now but awesome bit of kit. Yep, just use a transmitter from the bass and take an output straight into the first effect unit. Run the signal thru the pedalboard and one lead from the last pedal into amp. Its the size of a standard effect pedal so goes nicely on the board and runs on either 9v, 12v or batteries. Theres absolutely no delay and I'm electric shock proof too....

Recommended if you can find one - think there was one on here not so long ago.

Edited by Mudpup

I'm currently on the same hunt. Using the board creator on the pedaltrain site, I'm going for the Metro 20, will easily accommodate my B3 and at least a couple of other pedals (currently only have a Digitech synth wah in use, but may be looking at adding others)

How far have you got on power supply choices? Some helpful suggestions above, but seems that a power unit with "isolated" power supply to supply "clean" power to each pedal is recommended, but I'd be interested in which models provide this and whether they cost a lot more / are bulky etc and are worth the extra as compared to a daisy chain set up?

I've 'inherited' a one of [url="http://truetone.com/1-spot/"]these[/url] from a friend. So going to use that for now, nice long lead and doesn't take up any space on the board. I've run a few rehearsals using it on my pedals and all seems ok...so far.

Products i mentioned are fully isolated.
Cioks also has variable voltage switches per slot so depending on your pedal and the correct cable you can stack voltage or mAs.

Hotstone deluxe was people from voodo lab going off and doing their own thing, Cioks speaks for itself.

Time to get buying!

On power supply, just checked pricing - the Hotstone Deluxe is £160 and Cioks DC5 £120. They do look really good, but I think I will work up to those and start the "old fashioned way" with a 4 plug extension cable plus one extra Antoble Boss PSA 9V adaptor...total cost for both incl. P&P £13 :)

Pedaltrain Jr for me with a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 Plus power supply. Comfortably take lots of pedals including my ditto looper 2.

In all honesty, however, I have become bored with lugging this kit around or even plugging it in at home Having had my must have a pedalboard moment, I now CBA. Clip on tuner and an newly bought EBS Valve Drive DI are my only non guitar / amp / cab items I can be bothered to shift.

Edited by Bobthedog

Thanks very much guys for your input. Pedaltrain Classic Jr + soft gig bag bought and my (very!) modest pedal collection set up today (with cheap DIY power supply for now). I suspect I am going to get a lot more use and fun out of my pedals, which have hitherto lain gathering dust for far too long!