Why become a member? ×

Critique A Bass Player Wanted Ad

blue

Always an interesting exercise as everyone is looking for different things in a band.

Critique the ad and if you were looking would it be worth an inquiry

1. GIGGING COVER BAND SEEKING BASS PLAYER

If interested, please reply to this post with "Bass Player for your Band"

We average about 2-3 shows/month (31 shows in 2016), usually a bit more during summer, with a mix of clubs, fests, and private events. We are agency represented.

We are a 5 piece band (guitar, keys, female vox, drums and bass) and our playlist consists of a variety of songs from 70's/80's classic rock and dance songs, to current pop and rock hits as well as some modern country. A variety of songs that allow us to play to a wide range of audiences, but we try to keep just enough rock in the night for our own enjoyment as well! :)

Hoping to have our new bass player up and running by sometime in May if possible. Auditions will begin around the 2nd week of April.

We generally use very little stage amplification, except for stage monitors so a bassist that is willing to play with a small rig or even run direct for stage volume purposes would be ideal for us. We usually run a mix of In-Ears and wedges on stage.

Team player, decent stage presence, ability to stay in the pocket with drummer would be quite dandy. Vocals helpful, but not necessary. Reliable transportation is a must!

For more information and to set up auditions, please reply to this post with "Bass Player for your Band"

2. ESTABLISHED BAND SEEKING BASS

Established rock band looking for a bass player. Great band chemistry, no drugs, attitudes or weird egos. We practice once a week, try to play out once a month. We have several gigs on the calendar. We want to find someone that will be reliable and a good fit. Reach out for more details/music samples.

3. ESTABLISHED COUNTRY BAND SEEKING BASS PLAYER

Highfield Drive is seeking experienced, energetic bass player to fill immediate opening. Must be committed, professional, and able to gig out 2-4 times per month. Vocal ability preferred

What do you think, comments and observations.

Blue

Edited by blue

With no judgement as whether these are my styles of music or not...

Band 1: sounds fairly together. Actual gig figures for last year mean something. Mention of DI/in ears/stage volume is appreciated. If they want a new guy up and running in 4 weeks they'd better pay, I suspect they do. If I was looking, I might be on the phone to these guys.

Band 2: This is a band that just lost their bass player... again. Sounds like they rehearse four times more than they gig. What's their definition of "attitude" or "chemistry"? I've got a mental picture of these guys and it's bad. There's a cop on drums, a Christian primary school teacher on guitar and the singer once nearly had a deal and it eats him up. Avoid.

Band 3: This lot seems like a B-grade working commercial country outfit and I can tell that because crucially they included their name so I can look them up and see if I like them. I don't (oops, I just broke my rule).

Edited by KK Jale

I agree KK.

Band No.1 seems like it would be a fit for someone. Not me as 31 gigs a year is not even half of what I need. But , I think it was good to include that detail in the ad.

Now here's another observation on band No. 1.

They're a 5 piece, which probably means a 5 way pay split.

They really sound like an agency driven band. So they're more of a corporate band or functions band as you guys in the UK call it.

How many 2k gigs are out there every weekend?

And what is left of the 2k after you pay for sound and lights. And by the way guys, guess who owns the sound and lights. Yup, the booking agency you work for. I feel sorry for the guy that doesn't ask questions about these compensation issues.

And 5 piece functions bands normally don't play $400.00 bar gigs.

Blue

Edited by blue

That's an interesting viewpoint but no agency-using band I've ever been in has used an agency-owned PA or lighting rig. Is that a US thing?

*edit: dangit Blue, just put all your thoughts in one post like everyone else <_<

Edited by KK Jale

[quote name='KK Jale' timestamp='1491879353' post='3276085']
That's an interesting viewpoint but no agency-using band I've ever been in has used an agency-owned PA or lighting rig. Is that a US thing?
[/quote]

Very common in the States KK, at least in my part of the Midwest.

The top booking agency in Milwaukee started out as a sound and lighting provider and branched out into band booking. Very logical actually.

Blue

Edited by blue

I'd apply for band 1, I'd change the wording of "ability to stay in the pocket with drummer would be quite dandy" to

ability to stay in the pocket with drummer is essential

Band 2 lost me at "no drugs, attitudes or weird egos", that's ALL THE BEST PLAYERS, and, don't tell me what to do

Band 3 is out just coz I hate country :), but don't mention the band name in the ad, unless you are a big name.

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1491883932' post='3276090']

Band 2 lost me at "no drugs, attitudes or weird egos", that's ALL THE BEST PLAYERS, and, don't tell me what to do
[/quote]

Bazztard, they lost me there too, but for different reasons.

It tells me the band may have or had substance issues which I want no part of.

Drugs, alcohol and weird egos have not been apart of any of my band experiences since I was around 20 years old. I'm 64.

However, I don't think it belongs in the ad.

Blue

Edited by blue

I found some YouTube clips of band No.3, Highfield Drive.

I happen to like good contemporary country, but not with local talent. The talent to pull it off is not there.

Also, I would look like a brown pair of shoes with a black tuxedo with that band.

Blue

Edited by blue

When looking at band ads I always like to know up-front about rehearsals. How often, where, when.
I think that information can tell you a lot about a band and if you're someone who's got other things going on it can shut the door straight away.

I like the sound of band 2. People who rehearse regularly usually want to get it right. I've had my fill of seat of the pants chancers who resist any hint of an arrangement because it "stifles their creativity". More likely, they don't want to buckle down and get things right, in my experience. No drugs a good sign for me. Despite the myth to the contrary, stoners are not good band mates. They are generally unreliable (especially if there is heavy lifting to be done, funnily enough) and the grief they cause is not worth the odd flash of alleged genius.

The first ad is the only one I would take any notice of. Pretty much everything you need to know is in there (except where they're based), so you can make an informed decision on whether it's got potential for you before you call them. After that, it's just down to whether you like the music, and how you get on with the rest of the band.

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1491891965' post='3276111']
I like the sound of band 2. People who rehearse regularly usually want to get it right. I've had my fill of seat of the pants chancers who resist any hint of an arrangement because it "stifles their creativity". More likely, they don't want to buckle down and get things right, in my experience. No drugs a good sign for me. Despite the myth to the contrary, stoners are not good band mates. They are generally unreliable (especially if there is heavy lifting to be done, funnily enough) and the grief they cause is not worth the odd flash of alleged genius.
[/quote]

Dan,

I know exactly where your coming from.

However, while rehearsing once a week could mean they understand hard work and the positive results from hard work and for good reason. I get that, but lets not forget it could also mean something else.

I know, I stated rehearsing more than you gig is a "red flag". I'll maintain that position because rehearsing once a week could be a sign of a disorganized band. You know the type of band that rehearses but the rehearsals are unproductive and actually accomplish very little.

There's the theory that bands get good from steady, consistent live performance, gigging. There's a lot of stuff that works in the basement but doesn't translate to the stage.

Blue

Edited by blue

band 1 sound like they have their sh*t together and are a well worked unit and would be a draw for a lot of musicians in that type of field. i wouldn't do it personally because i would rather watch dry paint keep drying than play classic rock covers. also, running into the PA might be ideal for them, but not for me.

band 2 sounds like your average start up originals band to me, committed to practicing but i would want to know why only 1 gig a month, is this a temporary thing while they are recording an album or getting their sound right? or do they only want to gig once. if the latter i agree with blue and more practice than gigs is a red flag

band 3, short and sweet, they know what they want, and rather than go through some bollocks about what we want to sound like etc, they have put the bands name so people can search it and see what they are all about. nothing worse than having to tell everyone who applies "well we want to sound like blah". their approach is, we want this, check us out, take it or leave it.... i like that

Out of the three I'd be up for band no.1.

Regular gigging band. I'm happy playing covers to a high standard. Floats my boat. From the way the ad is worded, I'd be going along for an audition with an optimistic outlook that the band would be cool people with their sh*t together that can play really well.

They are doing enough gigs to have purpose and they could , like any band, get busier or get less. The main thing for me is they are an established thing that, going by the ad, have had enough experience already regarding the usual pitfalls. They know the ropes so to speak. Its not saying its a start up band with no idea. I'd even invest in decent IEM if I was convinced they knew what they were doing.

2. Not my thing anymore. The originals band route was cool when I was younger but just doesn't appeal to me anymore.

3. Only if it were the only gig I could get and the chances of anything else coming along were very slim. It would have to be well paid as my enthusiasm would be non existent to false. But if country was my thing it would be what I'd go for over opt 1.

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1491898405' post='3276170']

band 3, short and sweet, they know what they want, and rather than go through some bollocks about what we want to sound like etc, they have put the bands name so people can search it and see what they are all about. nothing worse than having to tell everyone who applies "well we want to sound like blah". their approach is, we want this, check us out, take it or leave it.... i like that
[/quote]

RockfordStone,

I checked out their YouTube clips. Even though they're not my thing by any means. But because I do this for a living,if I was looking I'd inquire and get a few details.

Unlike many, I really can't afford to limit my opportunities solely to music I like.

They would never hire me, I'm too old and don't fit the image of the band.

Blue

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1491891965' post='3276111']
[/quote]

Dan,

Again you make a good point but so does RockfordStone.

Some bands are committed to rehearsing and recording but there's a disconnect when it comes to actually gigging.

Years ago, I found out too late in a band I joined, the band leader/lead singer only wanted to rehears so he could play make believe "Rock Star" in his basement.

He really had little to no interest in actual gigging.

Blue

Edited by blue

I'd be impressed if one of them said:
"We all learn our parts BEFORE rehearsals... we don't use rehearsals for the drummer to catch up on his practise... or for the keyboardist to try out the settings on the new Korg he just bought that afternoon. We don't stop for a break every ten minutes and then spend half an hour smoking and indulging in idle chit chat."

And while we're at it:

"We won't lie to you about the number of gigs we do."

All of those have been killers for me in the past.

Number 1 sounds ok, subject to the above. I've always been paid waaayyyy more for corporate do's and functions than pub gigs... although I do like pub gigs as well.

Number 2 may be protesting overmuch with the weird egos and drugs... so I agree with the alarm bells. I was once in an originals band... the main guy was very talented but would get "overstressed" and disappear on two week benders... even his wife didn't know where he was.

Number 3... always fancied a country band, as long as I got to wear a fancy hat. Rather a lot of peple round here who would turn out for something like that. Worth investigating.

I love to gig. I'd call all three and would gig with them. Between the three I might get a full schedule. I'd practice with them to learn their set, then re-practice when new material is on the table. I'd be a "floating dep".

[quote name='KK Jale' timestamp='1491879353' post='3276085']
[/quote]
Up here there's an outfit based out of banana row studios In Edinburgh that have a roster of enough musicians to put on at least 5 functions bands a night. They provide all the backline / drums and PA. just turn up with your bass and pedalboard. They also run a fleet of Mercedes crewcab vans so you can get picked up by the main road near your house and get chauffeured to the gig. Very smooth. Depped for them a couple of times and it's quite exciting doing a gig with people you've just met but I prefer to be in a band that play together regularly.

Not sure that any of these are much more than hobby bands as you ain't gonna pay the mortgage with 31 gigs a year as a 5 piece (at least in the UK).

Band 1. Seems a bit dry. They tell me they use in ear monitors as if this is something I need to know, but they include the ability of the bassplayer to actually function as a bassplayer as an afterthought.
Band 2. Sounds like my kinda outfit. I play for fun and weekly gigging isn't what I'm after.
Band 3. Aside from the country thing looks OK - short and sweet.

Instead of speculating and giving wild conjecture, it may be better to follow up the ads first, then make a judgement call.

Its like trying to judge someone on a forum simply by the text they post. You could be totally wrong in your assumptions, till you meet up

Or you could be totally right , but assumptions are the mother of all f**kups

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1491914671' post='3276412']
Instead of speculating and giving wild conjecture, it may be better to follow up the ads first, then make a judgement call.

Its like trying to judge someone on a forum simply by the text they post. You could be totally wrong in your assumptions, till you meet up

Or you could be totally right , but assumptions are the mother of all f**kups
[/quote]

But surely that's what forums are for, virtual places where people can share uninformed opinions about matters they know little about? Or have I been doing it wrong?