Why become a member? ×

Shared Drum Kits

cheddatom

whenever I have had to use a supplied amp it's with a full PA so it's not really an issue it's only a stage monitor really, the last time this happened the stage sound was awful but everybody said the FOH sound was great and having heard to recordings of the gig I agree with them, so it's not such an issue with me, but I would imagine a drummer having to use a kit laid out differently it would be, as someone else said it's all about communication our drummer for instance always makes a point of telling everybody he's a lefty

Whenever we gig, the promoter always does a belts and braces email a week before to all the contacts setting out gearshare, load in, soundcheck times, and so on. Headliners generally provide the drum shells/stands; the breakables (stool/snare/bass drum pedal/cymbals and hats) should be brought along by each support band. The only thing that really gets on my tit is when another band ignore the mail and turn up in expectation of a borrow.

I find it amusing/frustrating how many times the bass amp is expected to be shared as well, while guitar amps are not necessarily that way. Back in the day, I can see why. These days, especially when you're typically DI'd, a bass amp is not necessarily bulky or heavy. When I play multiple band situations, I often prefer to just bring mine. I get to play something decent and I'm always set before the drummer is ready, so why not? But no, I'm not willing to come early and leave late just so that somebody else doesn't have to carry any extra equipment and can enjoy a few beers while I watch... erm, nope.

Totally sympathise with drummers on this. As band leader I've had to organise drum share with other bands and it's often difficult. In my experience polite, early and thorough communication is key.

I'd recommend getting confirmation of exactly what gear is being shared and how the other drummer sets it up.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1492118367' post='3278166']
It's really strange, I've offered bassists the use of my bass, but they've always looked worried and said no politely. Guitarists often go quiet too.
[/quote]

[URL=http://s997.photobucket.com/user/stingraypete/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-01/20150105_201850_zps9am97dvx.jpg.html][IMG]http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af100/stingraypete/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-01/20150105_201850_zps9am97dvx.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Likewise :D

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1492169927' post='3278439']
[url="http://s997.photobucket.com/user/stingraypete/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-01/20150105_201850_zps9am97dvx.jpg.html"][/url]

Likewise :D
[/quote]

Ha! Yes! :)

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1491907867' post='3276311']
drum sharing is a necessary evil on multiband bills, our drummer is left handed but unlike Ringo plays left handed, but just gets on with it, in my experience "just bring your breakables" means cymbals, bass drum pedal and snare drum, but pack you stands just in case, the best story I've got is where we played a small, very small, festival and the supplied kit didn't have a floor tom, one poor drummer couldn't get his head round it so played an upturned plastic dust bin instead, oh how we laughed
[/quote]

I was curious as to how Wendy felt about using the kit at the Horse and Groom a while back on your side project... I noticed she'd brought a snare and cymbal. Is that because she prefers a minimal kit or just for convenience?

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1491908372' post='3276319']
It's fair enough to say "you should be able to play on anything" etc. and that is a valuable skill, but I wonder how many of you would be happy to be forced to play a "house bass"

As has been said, fair enough for a jam, not really fair enough if you're supposed to be putting on a professional performance for which you're being paid.
[/quote]

I am by no means an accomplished player even for an amateur. I really didn't like playing the P bass that was available on open mic night a while back. I tried it for the experience though. In addition I was thinking that it is best to use what's supplied rather than waste time for others wanting a bit of stage time. I needn't have brought my combo. It can't hurt occasionally to go out of the comfort zone as they say. By definition, the worst it can be is uncomfortable.

On my second night there I swapped the house P for my Steiny and played through the portable house system. This gave me the advantage of allowing me to make a daring getaway from all my new fans by leaping into a waiting taxi because I had no combo to slow me down.

Oh yes... one of the other wannabes asked if he could use my bass for his turn that night and I surprised myself by saying okay. No problem. I did weigh him off before saying so though. I am not totally gormless. Heeheehee.

Maybe it is not such a problem to use strange kit after doing it a few times. I imagine it gets easier somehow.

With all the set up and luggage I appreciate how sharing can be an advantage for drummers more than most. The downer being that there is lots more that can go wrong.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1492205737' post='3278735']
I was curious as to how Wendy felt about using the kit at the Horse and Groom a while back on your side project... I noticed she'd brought a snare and cymbal. Is that because she prefers a minimal kit or just for convenience?
[/quote]pure convenience, carting around a bass and side drum for a few songs at open mic, and the time to set it up would be too much

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1492242394' post='3278850']
pure convenience, carting around a bass and side drum for a few songs at open mic, and the time to set it up would be too much
[/quote]

Understood. I thought for a moment that she was a fan of those Vulfpeck clips.

PS; Am I going to get a slap next time she sees me for what I said earlier? Heeheehee.