Why become a member? ×

Four into three

BrunoBass

Our rhythm guitarist has just left the band, which leaves a three piece line-up of drums, guitar / vocal, bass / bv's. We're probably going to continue as a trio rather than replace him; I'm sad he's leaving but on the other hand I'm relishing suddenly having all that space to play in, and the changes I'm going to have to make (bigger sound, more bv's) and the rethink of our set his departure will necessitate. Has anyone had to make similar changes when a guitarist has left a band, or already plays with a stripped down, one-guitarist band?

Yup. If you have accumulated a number of dusty pedals that seemed like a good idea at the time, then now would be the right moment to drag them, blinking, back into the daylight and remind yourself what they all do.

The pedals I have found most useful are chorus (natch) for generally thickening the sound, the Fishman Fission Powerchord to provide instant rhythm guitar (ish) during long guitar solos, and one well-chosen fuzz/distortion pedal according to taste.

Obviously your playing style may need to change, busier lines, perhaps more octaving, etc. but do be careful not to stray into any of that awful "slapping" nonsense that the young people of today seem to be obsessed with. It's not big, and it's not clever.

:)

Hi Paul,

Having heard you guys, I suspect being in a three piece will suit you (and the rest of the band)

My originals band went from a four piece to a three late last year - took some time to rearrange stuff, but it works better than it did IMHO..

Edited by markstuk

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1491901426' post='3276211']
Hi Paul,

Having heard you guys, I suspect being in a three piece will suit you (and the rest of the band)
[/quote]

I'm looking forward to it Mark, I think having the extra space is going to work well.

I had exactly this scenario a year or so ago. We lost our rhythm guitarist. I've had to fill in quite a lot of the gaps with both playing and sound. I naturally play with my thumb and 2 fingers which is a good style for doing exactly this. I fattened up the sound with a low gain drive (EHX Bass Soul Food) which is on all the time to add a bit of grind, another drive pedal later in the chain for grittier stuff and I've also just added a fuzz which I used on a very low setting for songs where the lack of rhythm guitar is a problem (i.e. when the lead guitarist is soloing). The one thing I would say is don't be tempted to try to fill up all of the gaps. I'm firmly of the opinion that what you don't play is every bit as important as what you do. I'm sure you'll love it though.

Yep, done this twice. First time we filled in like crazy to make up the difference and it was ok. Second time we left it like it was and left some space in the music, like Free did, and it sounded great. I am no longer afraid of the spaces in music. Sometimes it sounds better and grooves more.

My main gigging/function band fluctuates from four to three depending on availability and, frankly, what the gig pays. I don't use pedals, so I wouldn't know about all that hoohah, but I really like the energy of a three piece. The audience also seems to respond differently (more positively) to a three piece, especially when we go for different versions of songs they might not expect from a trio. I should add that the singer/guitard also plays keyboards, so we'll do some keyboard-based songs, too.

We have a great drummer, though...you'll need a great drummer: that extra space shows up any deficiencies, especially, I've found, behind the kit.

Edited by Muzz

I used to love being in a three piece. I used an Akai Unibass, kept the original bass clean and put the octave up with a fifth above through an overdriven guitar amp, instant power chords following the bass, what a glorious sound that made.

Rhythm guitarists? I thought they died out with the Shadows. Guitar, bass and drums is a great line up. No clutter and enough space for everyone to shine. On the other hand, too many bass players seem to think that because something is now "missing" they have to fill the spaces left by the absent guitarist.

That isn't true.

Leave the spaces. The more gaps the better. The fewer notes you play the better each one has to be. Be brave and cut out everything other than the most important notes. You don't have to change anything in your playing style. You and the band will sound terrible if you instantly hit the pedals or start doubling up the bass lines every time the guitarist stops playing chords. In the trio I play in the guitarist can stop playing at any time. We just carry on. It's called light and shade. If you think that this is an opportunity to create your own "wall of sound" then sadly you're missing the point and the band sound will suffer as a result.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1491911480' post='3276356']
Yeah it's great. The best bit is that the guitarist understands EQing and space and makes sure not to trample over my space in the audible spectrum. Happy days.
[/quote]

This is key.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1491899756' post='3276187']
but do be careful not to stray into any of that awful "slapping" nonsense that the young people of today seem to be obsessed with. It's not big, and it's not clever.

:)
[/quote]

Especially those young whipper snappers Larry Graham and Bootsy Collins! ;)

Yes, a few times. My preference has been for 1 guitar, or singist who sometimes plays a bit of 2nd guitar. I found what fits best in the mix is not adding 'effects' but just bringing your chosen sound up in the mix (mine is overdiven as standard), and keeping the pauses and quiet sections already in the music.

[b]chris b[/b] knows by the sound of it!

I like it. The two covers bands before the current one were one-guitar four-pieces. Both bands were quite ambitious, with songs like "Hotel California", "Comfortably Numb" and "Go your own way". Drummers also make quite a difference - one band's last change of drummer before we folded (not because of the drummer) was to one who was more accustomed to two guitars, and he took a little while to start changing his playing to thicken out the sound where it needed it.

I play in a 3 piece, and my advice would be make the bass less warm/bassy, and add a bit of gain/drive to the sound. Also don`t think that filling space is solely down to the bass, also up to the guitarist to make their solos bigger.

17 Years ago, a band i was in was a 3 piece, although it was formed as one at the outset and we didnt lose anybody, but our guitarist did lead, rhythm git, and main vocals. It never held us back

It helps to have a stonking all rounder like that in a band. He was the Botham of 3 piece gigging

I went from a five-piece band, which then became a four-piece when the singer/banjo/acoustic guitarist left, and which then regularly played as a three-piece.

At each stage, it felt a bit sparse for the first gig or two, but we quickly learned to fill out the songs (or where completely impractical, we just dropped certain tunes and replaced with new ones.)

Personally i love playing in a trio format - lots of freedom to expand and explore, tho it obviously puts more emphasis on each member (in our case, both me and my guitarist shared lead/backing vocals, and i also played harmonica, so we covered a lot of ground between us.)

We're basically a three piece with a bit of harmonica going on. We started with a second guitarist, but it rapidly became apparent he was useless, took while to give him his marching orders, but the band is better without him. We sometimes play as a a three piece with no harp, and love it. more room to flex yer bass playing muscles!

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1491914152' post='3276403']
The OP doesn't say if this is covers or originals. I find the choice of songs that can be played well as a 3 piece covers band frustrating.
[/quote]

It's covers.

But as a lot of the songs we do are by bands with one guitar player (Muse, Green Day, Biffy Clyro etc, or in the case of Royal Blood, no guitar player haha) it shouldn't be a problem. Songs with additional guitar parts can be adapted, or dropped if necessary.