Why become a member? ×

change from rounds flats on P - setup needed?

chickenjames

hello all

I want to put flats (d'Addario) on my std P-bass. It currently has DR hi beams.
When I did this to my EBMM, I had to spend quite a long time setting it up - not just the saddles but also messing around with the truss rod etc.
The setup on the Fender is currently lovely, and IIRC the flats are higher tension and so are likely to raise the action a bit. I don't particularly want to start adjusting the truss rod - apart from anything it looks more difficult than the 'Ray as it doesn't have the little wheel thing on the end.
Am I likely to get this ok just by lowering the saddles a bit? or should I plan on paying for a pro setup?

thanks

James

Higher tension strings will most likely move the neck, so it`s truss rod time. Easy job, never do more than a quarter turn in one day would be my advice, make your quarter turn, leave overnight to settle, check the next day if ok or more adjustment required.

I put flats on my Mike Lull PJ5 and didn't have to change anything other than slightly altering the bridge. But then I'd probably do that on going to a different type of string anyway.

Try it and do what you have to do. If in the unlikely event you can't make it work then get someone in who can.