Why become a member? ×

Can I replace a barrel jack with something else?

julietgreen

I'm playing an active bass - De Armond - that's probably got the same barrel jack it had in the 80s when it was made. Of course, it's worn now and crackles or cuts out if I'm not careful. It needs replacing, but I was wondering if there was an alternative. Can I replace it with something else that can be adjusted as it wears, for example?

The barrel jack probably goes through a chunk of wood - which would have to be machined out to enable a standard type to be fitted with a metal mounting plate, or an alternative fixing hole made in a more accesible place, (unlikely!).
I would say best to replace with a Switchcraft made Stereo Barrel Jack socket, they're the best available IMHO & will probably last as long as your DeArmond original - as long as it's not mistreated.

HTH
Cheerz, John

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1491929976' post='3276590']
The barrel jack probably goes through a chunk of wood - which would have to be machined out to enable a standard type to be fitted with a metal mounting plate, or an alternative fixing hole made in a more accesible place, (unlikely!).
I would say best to replace with a Switchcraft made Stereo Barrel Jack socket, they're the best available IMHO & will probably last as long as your DeArmond original - as long as it's not mistreated.

HTH
Cheerz, John
[/quote]

Cheers, John. I've replaced it now and am very happy!